General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:36 am 

I'm thinking to change the 3Tb disk I've in a cloudbox white case. it's the original lacie cloudbox 3Tb disk, so it has original firmware, etc.

I've thougth about erasing all the content I've i 3Tb disk and to use an Usb 3.0 Sata III 2 bay Dock Station I've. It has a clone button ... and I'm wondering if it will be enough to clone the disk in order to have all the partitions needed to boot and run the original firmware on the 1Tb disk.

If it's not possible, there's any way to copy all the needed partitions from original cloudbox 3Tb to the new 1Tb? In order to have the original firmware on the 1Tb.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:15 pm 

If the cloudbox is like the older boxes, you can dd the first few GB's (10? Have a look at the partition table. It should cover all partition except the data partition) from the 3TB disk to the 1TB disk. Then use parted to change the size of the data partition (partition 2, but physically the last one on disk) to whatever fits. Then put a filesystem on partition2 (On old boxes it was XFS. Maybe here it's ext3/4. Have a look on the 3TB disk).

The should give a bootable disk.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:03 pm 

Remember the cloudbox uses raid setup. For data partition and system partitions

Ps also posted on plugout http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=28&p=23540#p23536

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:47 am 

Thanks Mijzelf & fwdw! I'll take a look... I hope I'll be able to do it.

fwdw what do you mean with raid setup? have I to activate something about it?
And yes, I do... I've posted in many 'cloudbox' thematic forums in order to get help elsewhere...

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:25 pm 

dabezt wrote:

It depends, if you make a 1 to 1 copy of the the total disk using software that can make a bit by bit image of the the total disk or of each partition, then nothing has to be done.
If you want to copy data from a partition using a file transfer program than you need to assemble the raid array for that partition. If you have little knowledge/experience with linux and rad it may be a difficult process for you.
Easier would be using a program (like Acronis but there are more , to copy partition table and all partitions

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:06 pm 

fvdw wrote:
dabezt wrote:

It depends, if you make a 1 to 1 copy of the the total disk using software that can make a bit by bit image of the the total disk or of each partition, then nothing has to be done.
If you want to copy data from a partition using a file transfer program than you need to assemble the raid array for that partition. If you have little knowledge/experience with linux and rad it may be a difficult process for you.
Easier would be using a program (like Acronis but there are more , to copy partition table and all partitions

Thnx! will try Acronis or other else. BTW I've experience with linux but not about storage / partitions, etc.

cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:01 pm 

Acronis 2017 is not able to clone latest (biggest, 2.7Tb partition)... "not compatible or partition with errors" :-(
Will try Clonezilla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:59 am 

dabezt wrote:
Acronis 2017 is not able to clone latest (biggest, 2.7Tb partition)... "not compatible or partition with errors" :-(
Will try Clonezilla

I was not able to clone the last partition on Cloudbox (2,7) into a smaller disk. I've been playing around with LVM commands and I was able to shrink the logical volume to 400Gb but the partition remains on 2.7Tb...

So I decide to put the FVDW firmawre from http://plugout.net/viewforum.php?f=7

It rocks!!! Give it a chance! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:58 pm 

Hi. I could successfully copy the original Lacie firmware. It's quite simple but it involves a few steps.
Unfortunately, I'm working abroad at the moment and all the instructions and files are in my PC at home.