General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:41 pm 

Hi all,
I just have a question. Is there a possibility to have pms (or any other decent media server) installed on cloudbox(Like here: viewtopic.php?f=249&t=7603&start=15 )?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:52 am 

Hi all,

I've sucessfully installed PMS in lacie cloudbox after hard work.

From a general point of view, you need to download and uncompress (tar xvf) the synology (or qnap?) plex package into /opt/plex/ and create a plex.i script file in order to launch it on boot (plex start script).

If you execute it using the root user, the partition allocated for root is used for Plex Library and gets out of space quickly. The problem is that you can not use other user beacuse the home directories of user accounts are disabled by default, and you can not use them to allocate the Plex Library.

The workaround that I have found is to modify /etc/passwd file during plex.i script execution, in order to use /opt/admin as home directory of admin user. After that, you can switch to admin user (su - admin) and launch plex start script.

If I have time, I will try to modify the wiki page or post the instructions in the forum.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:33 pm 

tasio wrote:
Hi all,

I've sucessfully installed PMS in lacie cloudbox after hard work.

From a general point of view, you need to download and uncompress (tar xvf) the synology (or qnap?) plex package into /opt/plex/ and create a plex.i script file in order to launch it on boot (plex start script).

If you execute it using the root user, the partition allocated for root is used for Plex Library and gets out of space quickly. The problem is that you can not use other user beacuse the home directories of user accounts are disabled by default, and you can not use them to allocate the Plex Library.

The workaround that I have found is to modify /etc/passwd file during plex.i script execution, in order to use /opt/admin as home directory of admin user. After that, you can switch to admin user (su - admin) and launch plex start script.

If I have time, I will try to modify the wiki page or post the instructions in the forum.

Good luck!

Hi, could you explain me how to run plex on cloudbox.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:55 pm 

Is Plex capable of transcoding on cloudbox?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:53 pm 

In priciple transcoding could be implemented on the cloudbox however due to limited ram space and cpu power it will not be able to do that real time when you stream a file. Transcoding is cpu and memory intensiveand require a multicore pentium or comparable with 1 GB of ram or so

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:10 pm 

Im just looking to get subtitles on xbox 360 mediaplayer.. will plex be able to do it on cloudbox?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:18 am 

tasio wrote:
Hi all,

Good luck!

If you are still hanging around, that would be nice. I just purchased a LaCie Cloudbox and am trying to install a few third-party
softs:
- Plex Media Server would be nice to stream movies to the TV through my kids WiiU
- bittorrent sync would also be nice to synchrnoize files with android phones and linux laptop
- well, the sky's the limit, huh?