General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:22 am 

Drives (2) Lenovo /Iomega 35541 EZ Media & Backup Center 2TB NAS Network Hard Drive
Firmware Version: 4..0.6.19294 (Current as of 2014-01)
ST2000DM001-9YN164, CC4B

Iomega 35541 EZ NAS's(s) at DEFAULT settings. (Beyond Media Server being turned off)

No Cloud, torrent, nor any Iomega software installed. (OS detecting NAS drives- Drives are not mapped- doing direct file transfers - 99.99999% of time drives are idle)

Lenovo/Iomega NAS's dropping off network Win7, Win8 @ Random

PROBLEM:
NAS's are dropping off the network at random, it's been going on since June 2013.
I've tried different routers, switches, Power settings are at MAX so network cards doesn't go to sleep, etc

This has been happening with the shipped firmware, all the firmware revisions up to this point- Firmware on machine making (3) firmware revisions. Firmware is current.

OS's /PC's on Network
Network type set as "Work".

Win7 x64 PC=Wired (Office PC=Most of the time it's either ON or OFF=)
Win7 x86 PC=Wired (Media Center PC= will go to sleep /wake up as needed)
Win7 x64 laptop =Wifi (Rarely used, may jump on off network to cruise net while watching shows recorded by Media Center PC)
Win8 x64 (laptop) =Wifi (For testing purposes)

Firewall= Win7 built in Firewall on Win7 machines.
A/V= Nothing besides MSC (Microsoft Security Essentials, real-time protection on.)

*Win8 machine has a security suite IIRC called Webroot (It's a family members machine that I'm trying to set up a Win7/Win8 dual boot on Win8 OEM on GPT partition scheme.. by "adding" it to the already installed Win8 install- not having much success on that) Not really part of the network.

A couple of days ago I read a post about some OS's having problems with long file names. Upon seeing that I remembered I had put a "-" in the NAS file name.
Was:
LenovoEZ-01
LenovoEZ-02

Renamed to:
LenovoEZ01
LenovoEZ02

I thought that was the solution but problem persists.

99% of the time the drives are idle, They are NOT being used via the Media Center to "record" shows to or stream video from.
Mostly they are for data storage, Downloading content to so it's accessible to all the PC's on the network, occasionally I might playback video files, etc.
Spin down time is set to 15mins (I was having problems with that, but I think it was due to using FireFox 26.0, Used IE and I "think" that issue is ok)

When the drive(s) drop off the network:

They don't show up on left hand side of pane as shown in PIC #1 in "Network"
They don't show up in top center of pane , pic1 where it shows "Computers"
I cannot navigate directly to the drive(s), save, open content to drive(s).
If I'm lucky, depending on file type the OS remembers the drive is "there" and I can save a file to drive even when it's not showing.

Rebooting the drives / entire network is hit or miss - I think. Rebooting the router alone /and the switch, ditto. IIRC, right now my brain is fried.

When the NAS (or NAS's, plural) drop off the network, In the network pane they show up as "OTHER DEVICES",
Attachment:
2014-01-10_-_NAS 's dropping off network at random.JPG

By clicking the icon in the "other devices" section I can access the interface of the drive itself. (But not the files thru file explorer)
Attachment:
2014-01-10_-_NAS 's dropping off network at random_Interface of NAS-but cannot access files.JPG

When they have dropped off the network they may or may not show up in the network map: Here they are showing:
Attachment:
2014-01-10_-_NAS 's dropping off network at random_Interface of NAS-but cannot access files_Normal.JPG

*Dropped off the network meaning they are not showing on the extreme left hand side in windows file explorer, that lists drives /drive letters towrd the bottom saying "Network, and they are not displayed in the upper most panel in the center, 1st pic

Network is connected as such:
Motorola NVG-510 Uverse modem configured with static IP, DHCP off, wireless OFF.
"Gateway" in network map is Currently a Linksys E-2000 doing the routing with DRD-WRT firmware DHCP on and it assigning IP addresses>SWITCH, 8-port D-Link Gigabyte unmanaged Go-SW-8GE.

Go-SW-8GE feeds Win7 x64 PC=Wired directly. Switch also feeds a secondary 8-port unmanaged switch (TRENDNET TEG-S82G H/W V1.0R) the Win7 x86 PC=Wired (Media Center PC= will go to sleep /wake up as needed) is attached to.

There are additional devices attached to the switches.
Go-SW-8GE = Obi-110 VOIP, HP LaserJet 4000n Network Printer
TRENDNET TEG-S82G= Media Center PC, 3 Silicon Dust HD HomeRun OTA tuners, Sony BlueRay

No pic...

I have not installed any additional software, NOR "MAPPED" the DRIVES. I have tried different routers and moved the switches around.

I have read it is a OS issue, in the way devices are polled. Win7 has problems "polling" devices on the network.

Q: Is installing the Lenovo Network software app (Forgot the name as I don't use it) the trick? EG: It polls the drives?

Is the "Trick" to "Map" the drives, giving them a drive letter?

Maybe it's the old HP LaserJet 4000n Network Printer?
Unmanaged switches going into power-saving mode? How the heck do you test for that?

Wish I had a high end switch around. Troubleshooting as in removing devices is a real pain due to where they are located. Anytime I mess with the Media Center, wife isn't too happy if it's down and her shows didn't record.

NOTE to self: Make one line posts. EG: HELP ME!!!.

When you make it too wordy it scares people. Hope I haven't been too wordy, just trying to give at much info as I can right off the bat.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:39 am 

When NAS's are accessible they show as:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:15 pm 

When I understand you well, 'Dropping off network' actually means 'Not showing up in Network Neighbourhood' (Or whatever the latest Microsoft name for that window is). The box itself is not down, as you can still access the webpage.

Right?

I must admit that I don't know what makes a device showing up there. In WinXP and earlier that list was maintained by a 'Master Browser', one of the peers in the network, which collected it's data from broadcasts from all clients. So each client had to broadcast it's existence regularly.
Something is changed in W7, but I don't know what. It has something to do with uPnP (which is still broadcast based), as W7 also recognizes mediaservers, printers, ...
BTW, the 'Network device screen' in W7 doesn't work very well, in my opinion. In moderately big networks (20~50 devices) it regularly shows only a few devices. (I know, networks of that size are supposed to use a domain server, but XP could handle it fine)

What happens if you just enter '\\<ip-of-nas>\sharename' in the address bar of explorer, when the NAS 'is't there'? If you can't access the share then, maybe the samba server crashed. SSH in, and have a look. 'ps -A' shows all running processes. Samba consists of 2 daemons, smbd and nmbd. You can filter the output with 'ps -A | grep mbd'.
If samba is down, have a look in the logfiles, to see if it stopped for a reason. (/var/log/samba/*)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:12 pm 

This is just a possibility from something that happened with me. Being compulsive about deleting/uninstalling things I don't need, once I unchecked the windows feature, SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support. Later I noticed my LenovoEZ NAS was gone from file explorer network. It reappeared when I turned SMB/CIFS back on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:11 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
When I understand you well, 'Dropping off network' actually means 'Not showing up in Network Neighbourhood' (Or whatever the latest Microsoft name for that window is). The box itself is not down, as you can still access the webpage.

Right?

Sorry for not responding sooner. Yep when Lenovo EZ media units (2) disappear off network, they don't show up in network neighborhood section. Seems like if I keep both units powered up, v only having (1) running they don't drop out as much.

Quote:
I must admit that I don't know what makes a device showing up there. In WinXP and earlier that list was maintained by a 'Master Browser', one of the peers in the network, which collected it's data from broadcasts from all clients. So each client had to broadcast it's existence regularly.
Something is changed in W7, but I don't know what. It has something to do with uPnP (which is still broadcast based), as W7 also recognizes mediaservers, printers, ...
BTW, the 'Network device screen' in W7 doesn't work very well, in my opinion. In moderately big networks (20~50 devices) it regularly shows only a few devices. (I know, networks of that size are supposed to use a domain server, but XP could handle it fine)

Network size is maybe (2) PC's, latop, (2) Samsung S3 cellphones.

Quote:
What happens if you just enter '\\<ip-of-nas>\sharename' in the address bar of explorer, when the NAS 'is't there'? If you can't access the share then, maybe the samba server crashed. SSH in, and have a look. 'ps -A' shows all running processes. Samba consists of 2 daemons, smbd and nmbd. You can filter the output with 'ps -A | grep mbd'.
If samba is down, have a look in the logfiles, to see if it stopped for a reason. (/var/log/samba/*)

I will try that next time the disappear. IIRC when the drives disappear from the network and drives are not showing in file explorer:
1: Via Firefox (ver estimated at around 26 at time of prior posts, running 32.0.02 as of 2014-09), I can download files to the drives AND via Firefox click on the dowloaded file and run, view the file and file(s) on the drive the download history points to 90% ? of the time.

2: IIRC The drives DO show up as another device, media device (screenshots might be in prior posts) and the are ID as Lenono Nas.... to gain access to them I click on one of the links (webpage of device) and the drive or drives DO show up in the web-browser... EG: I can see and access the settings pages and access the data on the drive via a link in one of those pages directly (Which is a very clunky way to get to the data)

3: Drives do NOT appear to respond to settings on the "spin down time", IIRC I've tried Firefox and Internet Explorer hoping something was keeping Firefox from making the settings "stick" (I run No-script on Firefox but did allow all items on page IIRC)

Drives seem to run, and run and run.... and or at random times they might spin down.
Have updated the firmware of the Lenono Nas's without affect... Sort of at a loss.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:21 am 

dwu wrote:
This is just a possibility from something that happened with me. Being compulsive about deleting/uninstalling things I don't need, once I unchecked the windows feature, SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support. Later I noticed my LenovoEZ NAS was gone from file explorer network. It reappeared when I turned SMB/CIFS back on.

You have my attention,
1: In Win7, was this in the "Services section" you found those settings? (I'm Googling around but I wanted to respond ASAP and say THANKS! for you input before I forget.)
2: I noticed a 1.0 in "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support"... I'm wondering if the whole root cause of my problems and persons reporting Win7 networking isn't robust as XP used to be is the "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" is @ ver 1.0.....

(I'm wondering if there is a later version, surely by now MS has updated SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support)

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 49&t=81399

Can't Map Drive in Windows - Solution

Postby spepville ยป Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:20 pm
I have been searching for an answer to this problem the past few days, so I thought I should share the solution that worked in the end for me.

For those of you who are running Windows 8.1 or 8 (or possibly 7, but I didn't check) and get an error trying to map a network drive to your Synology NAS, you may need to turn on the following Windows Feature - SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.

You access this through the Control Panel -> Programs -> Turn Windows Features On/Off. Scroll down in the list and make sure that SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is selected. I think this is typically enabled by default, but I must have turned it off at one point.

After enabling this, I was able to map a drive and use the Disk Replicator program. Before that, I was getting an Error Code 64 (Authentication Failed) when attempting to map a drive through the Synology Assistant or login through Disk Replicator. Map Network Drive in Windows Explorer would just give a "Windows cannot access" Network Error.

WINDOWS 8.1
Windows Feature - SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support.
Control Panel -> Programs -> Turn Windows Features On/Off.
(From the post on the Synology forum, not my computer.)

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:21 am 

Win7Pro x64 does not show - SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support ?

Here is what I'm seeing:, and NO this computer is not a tablet so I should be disabling Tablet PC Components

Maybe I should turn ON:

RIP Listener
Services for NFS
Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

Suggestions anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:31 am 

2014-09-20 12:30am TURNED ON= Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

Description:
This feature includes Simple Network Management Protocol agents that
monitor activity in network devices and reports to network console workstation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:47 am 

can any one give me th iso link of liinux,, i really want it :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:49 pm 

WeAreNotAlone wrote:

Description:

2015-04-30
Ever since enabling SNMP 2014-09-20 the NAS's dropping off the network seems to be resolved.

Only problem that remains now is the drives rarely go to sleep, so they are pretty much running 24/7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:03 am 

WeAreNotAlone wrote:
WeAreNotAlone wrote:

Description:

2015-04-30
Ever since enabling SNMP 2014-09-20 the NAS's dropping off the network seems to be resolved.

Only problem that remains now is the drives rarely go to sleep, so they are pretty much running 24/7

Typed up a bunch of stuff, then FireFox crashed... again.

Anyhow.. Not long after the above post... Drives starting acting up again... Connecting up both would result in one or the other or BOTH drives being inaccessible (Win7)

(Reason I bought (2) Ez's was to backup DATA on unit #1 to #2)

Fast forward to 2016-07-15 or so.

On a bright sunny day, with no thunder storms within 60 miles + flashed both drives to 4.1.210.33855... thinking that surely after (4) YEARS of this model being on the market, and my (3) years of owning the drives "this" 4.1.210.33855 will make the drives "Play Nice" and I can Backup DATA of drive #1 to #2.

Flashed the NAS's.. Screwed up #1, which I was able to get working again, and KILLED drive #2 with 1.7TB of DATA on it! Grrrrr

Not happy. Called Lenovo, got the "Imaging Software " hm3-4.1.206.33777.zip", file hash below.

NOTE: Imaging software will "restore" the EZ's OS.. thing is it's DATA DESTRUCTIVE so that pretty worthless to me as I want to GET THE DATA on the DRIVE.

Asked the "tech" if Lenovo had any apps, or info on accessing the DATA. Nope.. besides him saying I should look into hiring the services of a $$$$$ Data Recovery Service".

$$$$$$$$ Grrrrrrrrrr

(As a aside I was watching a Newegg video in which Seagate states when you purchase their products/ drives shown in that video, they will at no-charge recover as much data as they can.. and will replace the drives components /rebuild it totally if needed for FREE.)

SO.... pulled the drive in the EZ..

Q: I see bunches of videos and info on how to "restore a EZ" or swap in a larger hard drive...

ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE IN ACCESSING THE DATA OFF THE DRIVE?

Is it as SIMPLE as pulling the drive and attaching it via SATA connection to a PC running Linux (Or booting from a Linux "Live CD") and pointing the LINUX file browser to the partition that contains the DATA???

ANYONE?

Ez Backup Imaging app to "restore drive" (Will DESTROY ANY DATA on the drive.)
hm3-4.1.206.33777.zip
CRC32: 210E2C98
MD5: E1E779B968F91238D929D955ADD2EC9A
SHA-1: E05E1681B986FBBA9B1FE440261200E9D02E6E3F
SHA-256: 57419DD6D78500B8F1D33D2A600A158837C3DAF1BE352A2B06E381946BED8B4E
Whirlpool: 6379A8CFF22081215614E8AA938489098995E3E3BC499E36077FE04EB0B1AC9D116FC16E6E70001C80B6B3DB7D34C3C1DA9839E1A6F3D7C748F4DD29097391AB