General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:23 pm 

wbdsgnr wrote:
i've also read that the samba performance went down drastically
That's on the HMND-CE. It has some buggy dual-core processor (PLX820), and the stock samba and/or gcc is hacked to get the most out of it. But on 'normal' systems it's not to be expected that samba will perform much worse on native Debian.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:23 am 

einne wrote:
Samba and NFS performance looks quite good. 100-200 mbps/write 300-400 mpbs read speed. Sorry I don't remember exactly. NFS seems to be faster.
I was able to configure disk spin out. Box is cold when idle.

No, I've found some weird Korean site which I translated to Engilsh and it gave me some clues how to start.
I'll upload the data and give detailed explanation how to setup real Debian on this box.

That's not too shabby! It is worth giving it a shot then. I'll be looking forward to the explanation!

[edit] I did some more research and found the post from Mijzelf about simply exchanging the existing rootfs with a clean debian one.. What then is the advantage of using your method and create an ext2 partition to put the kernel and initramfs? You mentioned uboot can boot from ext2 partition.. what's your directory structure for the kernel? Just normal /boot/vmlinuz ? Did you actually include the initramfs on that partition as well?

Just figuring stuff out :) I enjoy this kinda thing haha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:56 am 

wbdsgnr wrote:
einne wrote:
[edit] I did some more research and found the post from Mijzelf about simply exchanging the existing rootfs with a clean debian one.. What then is the advantage of using your method and create an ext2 partition to put the kernel and initramfs? You mentioned uboot can boot from ext2 partition.. what's your directory structure for the kernel? Just normal /boot/vmlinuz ? Did you actually include the initramfs on that partition as well?

My way is similar, I first change uboot config and allow to boot the box from USB device. This allows me to modify configuration on main disk. Then I've unpacking preconfigured debian (version and extracted original linux image from hidden space in original config) and extract it for small (20 GB) ext2 partition, then I configure uboot again to allow the box for boot from main disk again.

Yes, I boot it from /boot/vmlinuz. No no initramfs here, I believe (I'll check that) that this kernel has everything we need.
Advantage? Simplicity the config on huge disks (3TB) and better performance.

I still didn't figured it out how to compile kernel on this box though.

Can u please upload somewhere that SDK u used? My is completely different.

Update, okay. I did it. ;)
I did small benchmark:
Code:
Sequential task speeds:
iscsi: 330 mbps (write), 475 mbps (read)
nfs:   390 mbps (write), 420 mbps (read)
smb:   335 mbps (write), 390 mbps (read)

I'll do a update later.