General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:33 pm 

Hi everyone! I'm Mariano from Buenos Aires (Argentina) and I need to know how to use the fsck command via SSH to repair file system errors (the EZ is showing the following message: The file system on your Lenovo EZ has errors and needs to be checked).

I have the EZ Media & Backup Center 3 TB Model with last firmware: 4.1.106.31982. Now I have configured SSH access and can access it via 'Putty' for Windows. But I don't know how to use the fsck command, I have understood that you have to unmount the drive/filesystem to run properly (correct me if i'm wrong).

Any help or suggestions would be appreciate. Thanks!

P.S: sorry for my Bad English.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:10 pm 

Indeed you have to unmount the flesystem. Unfortunately that will be almost impossible. But remounting them read-only might also suffice.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:05 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
Indeed you have to unmount the flesystem. Unfortunately that will be almost impossible. But remounting them read-only might also suffice.

Hi Mijzelf! Thanks for your reply!!! If unmount the filesystem is almost impossible, what do you suggest to do in this case to avoid the message 'The file system on your Lenovo EZ has errors and needs to be checked'?

Thanks again!

P.S: and again... sorry for my poor English!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:02 am 

Mijzelf wrote:

UPDATE: The HD began to fail more often, and the red light appeared a few times. I have powered off and then powered on again and white light never stopped flashing... the NAS was not accessible or visible from the network, of course.

Now, I removed the hard disk from the case and connected it to a PC with ASUS P5QL motherboard (it recognizes the disk with only 756 GB of capacity, don't know why) and booted using HDD Regenerator by Dmitriy Primochenko to regenerate possible damaged sectors. It seems that worked with certain sectors at the beginning but after a while the program quits and cannot continue scanning. However, I have connected the disk to the Lenovo case and now it booted ok (no more red light or white light blinking forever) but is running slow when I trying to access via web interface or explore the content via Network Places from Windows.

"The file system on your Lenovo EZ has errors and needs to be checked" message still appears in the web interface.

I wonder if I can run the 'fsck' command or some similar that serves to repair such errors (I'm not a regular user of Linux command line, so I appreciate any help or ideas) by connecting the hard drive to a PC with Ubuntu Desktop (I already have one running Ubuntu 14.04.1). If this is possible, I would like to know how I can do it.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:17 am 

fixxxer wrote:
connected it to a PC with ASUS P5QL motherboard (it recognizes the disk with only 756 GB of capacity, don't know why)
That is the typical 'wrap around' size of a 3TB disk, when examined by a bios/OS which doesn't support >2TiB disks (> 2^32 sectors)

Quote:
I wonder if I can run the 'fsck' command or some similar that serves to repair such errors (I'm not a regular user of Linux command line, so I appreciate any help or ideas) by connecting the hard drive to a PC with Ubuntu Desktop (I already have one running Ubuntu 14.04.1). If this is possible, I would like to know how I can do it.

Here you can read how to assemble the data volume on a HMND-CE. I have no reason to believe it will be different on you EZ Media.
You can follow the tutor and skip the mounting at the end, and run fsck on the device node instead.

But seeing your story I think it won't help much. I think you have a failing disk. And a hardware problem cannot be solved in software. Do you have important data on that disk, without backup?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:35 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
That is the typical 'wrap around' size of a 3TB disk, when examined by a bios/OS which doesn't support >2TiB disks (> 2^32 sectors)

Just been reading a bit about that, apparently my ASUS P5QL not support drives larger than 2 TB. =(

Mijzelf wrote:
Here you can read how to assemble the data volume on a HMND-CE. I have no reason to believe it will be different on you EZ Media. You can follow the tutor and skip the mounting at the end, and run fsck on the device node instead.

Thanks for the link! I'll take a look and try!

Mijzelf wrote:
But seeing your story I think it won't help much. I think you have a failing disk. And a hardware problem cannot be solved in software. Do you have important data on that disk, without backup?

I'm a little confused, the HDD does not make any strange noise (although this is not indicative of defective disc) and when I want to access some folders or files works perfect. Then, sometime seems locked and can no longer access it through the network. The HDD is not locking/freezing always in the same folder or file that I am trying to access. So I think these are indications that the disc may have some just bad sectors where some basic system files are allocated (just my theory, nothing certain). I managed to resurrect multiple disks using HDD Regenerator so I thought this would be no exception but I don't know now....

Here in Buenos Aires, in recent last years, we are experiencing power outages and significant low voltages. Maybe somehow that has affected my hard drive, since the first time I remember it started failing occurred after an abrupt power outage (about 5 months ago). Actually, the NAS has only one year + a few months of use.

Fortunately, in the HDD there is no important data... I use it more as a media server than anything else but I used to make temporary copies of files I want to keep for some time, some client files, I have a database of PC Drivers that took me some time to download, etc.

Again, thanks for your time and patience! I hope to write soon giving good news. ;)

Oh, and I almost forgot... Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:37 pm 

fixxxer wrote:
Just been reading a bit about that, apparently my ASUS P5QL not support drives larger than 2 TB. =(
I *think* Ubuntu won't care. Sata is sata, and I don't think Linux will request the bios for detected devices.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:35 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
fixxxer wrote:
I *think* Ubuntu won't care. Sata is sata, and I don't think Linux will request the bios for detected devices.

yeah! you were right. Ubuntu reads it as a 3 TB drive =) however, I read a little more on different websites about Linux commands and they do not recommend using fsck on LVM2 partitions, don't know exactly why (they say that after using the FSCK command, the partition is corrupted and all information is lost). so I canceled that plan, just in case.

I tried again with HDD Regenerator, this repaired more bad sectors but takes forever to scan the entire disk!!! (Note: HDD Regenerator sees it as 746 GB drive, same as BIOS)

This NAS is a real crap, the Lenovo / Iomega support is totally useless and thanks to this forum, I could go a little but still keep trying to repair the disk (or see if I finally get a new one)!!!!

UPDATE January 8, 2015:
The Seagate hard drive is officially dead. I used the Seagate official tool (downloaded from their site) to completely erase the drive (write zeros) and cannot complete the task (stuck on 52%). I say again: this NAS is a real crap, especially the Seagate hard drive!!!!!! DON'T BUY IT. Use Western Digital (better personal experience) and build a mini-ITX PC with Windows or any Linux distribution.

*** TOPIC CLOSED ***