General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:43 pm 

Hey all,

I managed to patch the latest 2.6 kernel to work on our device and work flawlessly with debian wheezy. Had to do some dirty patches but it seems to work ok. Also, I changed my initrd to boot of the 4gb partition where normally the images are on. This way you can keep all your data and delete/resize things later on. If anyone is interested I could write a little tutorial on how to convert your system to debian wheezy without deleting any data. Later i'll upload a patch to the original 2.6.32.65 source and you can configure the kernel yourself the way you like it. You need to be at least somewhat familiar with linux to do all this, otherwise it isn't too difficult.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:42 am 

wbdsgnr wrote:
Hey all,
I managed to patch the latest 2.6 kernel to work on our device and work flawlessly with debian wheezy.

Great work.

Can you tell me why I might want to do this?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:12 pm 

Great question! The main reason for me is the easiness customizing. Want the apache web-server? no problem "apt-get install apache". The main reason for wanting a more recent release is to have more recent software versions. And the main reason for not wanting the default iomega sofware is because it has loads of stuff I find useless.. I simply want to run samba and an ssh server not much more, but do it safely with recent software versions. And truth be told, i'm a hacker at heart so I like doing things that are otherwise not meant to be done, if only for the hacking :P If it is useful for you i couldn't tell you. Don't fix it if it ain't broken might apply all too well here haha. But now i can do things like use the fuse filesystem-layer (mount dropbox to a samba share for example) things that would otherwise cost be a few hours i can now do in a few minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:33 pm 

wbdsgnr wrote:
Hey all,
I managed to patch the latest 2.6 kernel to work on our device and work flawlessly with debian wheezy.

Great! I've just made almost the same with my box! I copied "rootfs" from "squeeze" to /sda1 (LVM partition), modified Lenovo "initrd" scripts to pivot_root from /dev/sda1 without mounting "apps" and "config".

Then I decided to upgrade to Wheezy and faced with non working "udev" service which works only with kernel >= 2.6.32 (((. Your post is just in time!

Please share your results!