Replaced HD, interesting problem

john738

Replaced HD, interesting problem

Post by john738 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:49 pm

I've replaced the 1TB HD in the EZ Media box with an 120GB SSD that I'd lying around. The actual replacing (via writing initrd/zImage to the SSD and a USB stick with the firmware in the correct directories) went without a hitch and the box duly booted into the web console.

The problem is that I can't create shares. When I try, I get the error "The selected function is not available due to the state of the pools.".

So I activated SSH access and looked into the box. /mnt/pools/A/A0 is indeed missing and I also saw that the SSD has only one partition (sda1, start 33.6MB, end 21.5GB), the remaining space (~98GB) is unallocated. So I added a second primary partition via parted. Upon rebooting the white LED blinked red and the web console asked me whether to overwrite the data partition. I clicked on yes, but the only effect (AFAICS) was that the second partition got removed.

If I put in an USB stick, this is recognised and a share is automatically created and accessible, so the box basically works.

Any ideas?

john738

Re: Replaced HD, interesting problem

Post by john738 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Another datapoint. I've tried the same procedure with a 160GB HD, an older Seagate drive. This works flawlessly and as expected with a 2nd partition and the shares in /mnt/pools/A/A0.

So either the EZ Media box doesn't like SSDs or it doesn't drives with only 120GB. Or is there another possibility?