General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:58 pm 

I have an Iomega EZ Media & Backup NAS and my internet service is a fiber optic provider. They provide me a modem or gateway that has a built in router that has wireless and wired access. This work great until I connect the NAS by Ethernet to my network.
This causes problems with some websites, some will load normally and some will not. The message that displays on a site that will not load says; This site can't be reached, The connection was reset. Try Reloading the page, Checking the connection, Checking the proxy and the firewall.
I tried contacting Iomega/Lenovo tech support, but they could not offer much assistance because the unit is out of warranty, but thought it may be a firewall issue.
I would appreciate any help, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:21 pm 

Did you assign that NAS a fixed IP address? Are you sure it isn't the same as the router's one?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:57 am 

No, I am not using a fixed IP address. It is set by the router.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:00 am 

That is strange. It shouldn't be possible as the NAS is not involved in traffic between any client and an outside server. So either the NAS is generating so much 'noise' on the network that it causes regular traffic to drop, or somehow the NAS changes the network topology.

Did you install any additional software on the NAS? What is the IP address of the NAS? Are it always the same websites which work and which don't work?

If you are a die-hard, you can install Wireshark on you computer to see if there is spurious network traffic originating from the NAS, and to see what exactly is the difference between a working and a not-working site.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:32 am 

It seems strange to me as well. Yes it seems to be the same websites that will not load when this problem exists.

I have noticed this bit of information. The problem has always occurred when I power up the NAS with in connected to my network. But if I power up the NAS without it connected to my network and let it set that way for a day or so, then connect the network cable, it works just fine, those affected websites load and all is good.

It is up and connected now and I am experiencing no issues with it.