General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How can i replace the HD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:31 pm 

I need to replace the hard disk, but i don't know how to ...

someone can help me ? :D

Tks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:38 am 

omarcvd wrote:
I need to replace the hard disk, but i don't know how to ...

someone can help me ? :D

Tks.

Having same problem. Easy hard drive replacement didn't make any sense. Looking for help too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:19 pm 

I *think* you can use a firmware update file using this directions. But instead of using the directory emctools/ix2-200d_images you should use emctools/ix2-ng_images or emctools/hm3_images, according to the initrd.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:43 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
I *think* you can use a firmware update file using this directions. But instead of using the directory emctools/ix2-200d_images you should use emctools/ix2-ng_images or emctools/hm3_images, according to the initrd.

Is it possibly that you provide step by step instruction, because I am not a computer expert person.

Thank you,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:54 pm 

I'm uploading EZMedia-recovery-4.0.2.9960.zip, which is 208620kB. Download it (when it's uploaded), extract it to a FAT formatted USB stick of at least 2GB. It will extract as a single file emctools\hm3_images\files.tgz. The directories are important. Plug it in the NAS and power it up. Maybe you'll need to keep the reset button pressed for about a minute, but if the disk is empty, I think it should work right away. After some time (20 minutes? Depends heavily on the stick) the box will power off. Remove the stick and power it on again. Maybe you'll have to do the procedure twice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:45 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
I'm uploading EZMedia-recovery-4.0.2.9960.zip, which is 208620kB. Download it (when it's uploaded), extract it to a FAT formatted USB stick of at least 2GB. It will extract as a single file emctools\hm3_images\files.tgz. The directories are important. Plug it in the NAS and power it up. Maybe you'll need to keep the reset button pressed for about a minute, but if the disk is empty, I think it should work right away. After some time (20 minutes? Depends heavily on the stick) the box will power off. Remove the stick and power it on again. Maybe you'll have to do the procedure twice.

Thank you for your help,
I was followed by your instruction, but it did not work - LED stays solid RED. I hold reset button even more than a minute, it did not work. I was trying without pressing reset button, same result.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:23 am 

You could try to rename the hm3_images directory to ix2-ng_images.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:15 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
You could try to rename the hm3_images directory to ix2-ng_images.

Thanks, let me try. Do you think it is gonna work?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:47 pm 

I think it *somehow* should work, but I can't say if the file is right.

About the directory name, the initrd clearly states it searches a .tgz file in either emctools/ix2-ng_images or emctools/hm3_images, depending on some environment variable. I don't know that variable, but the EZMedia firmware update I downloaded has a filename starting with hm3_, so hm3_images was my first guess.

Does your USB stick have a led? Can you see if it's accessed?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:53 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
I think it *somehow* should work, but I can't say if the file is right.

About the directory name, the initrd clearly states it searches a .tgz file in either emctools/ix2-ng_images or emctools/hm3_images, depending on some environment variable. I don't know that variable, but the EZMedia firmware update I downloaded has a filename starting with hm3_, so hm3_images was my first guess.

Does your USB stick have a led? Can you see if it's accessed?

Hello,
I was trying exchange the file name, same result... not working!!!
Concerning LED on USB stick, did not see blinking. looks like it is not accessible to the system.
Still need your help!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:01 am 

Well, if the usb stick is not accessed, it can obviously not work. How sure are you that the box isn't broken? Why doesn't it have a disk?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:50 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
Well, if the usb stick is not accessed, it can obviously not work. How sure are you that the box isn't broken? Why doesn't it have a disk?

When I returned back the original HD all functions restored and accessibility to USB too.
My idea is replacing HD with a bigger or smaller size, same concept as a network HD enclosure.
My original is 2TB EZ Media & Backup Center and I have 1TB simple HD. I'd like to replace the original HD to 1TB HD and use a separate backup network drive AS A TIME capsule.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 am 

I should have read the Wiki first. The Stock configuration clearly tells the kernel and initrd are on disk. Further the portal tells the box has only 1MB flash, which is not enough to contain a kernel.

So you could extract zImage and initrd from the files.tgz file, and write it to disk. They have to be written to sectors 2048 and 8192. In a linux prompt:
Code:
sudo dd if=/path/to/zImage of=/dev/sdx bs=512 seek=2048
sudo dd if=/path/to/initrd of=/dev/sdx bs=512 seek=8192
Here /dev/sdx should be the devicenode of your NAS disk. You can see all connected disks by typing:
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
The size is given in blocks, which is 1KiB. Device nodes without numbers at the end are disks, device nodes with numbers are partitions. Double check you are using the right device, dd will happily overwrite whatever you offer it as output.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:35 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
I should have read the Wiki first. The Stock configuration clearly tells the kernel and initrd are on disk. Further the portal tells the box has only 1MB flash, which is not enough to contain a kernel.

So you could extract zImage and initrd from the files.tgz file, and write it to disk. They have to be written to sectors 2048 and 8192. In a linux prompt:
Code:
sudo dd if=/path/to/zImage of=/dev/sdx bs=512 seek=2048
sudo dd if=/path/to/initrd of=/dev/sdx bs=512 seek=8192
Here /dev/sdx should be the devicenode of your NAS disk. You can see all connected disks by typing:
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
The size is given in blocks, which is 1KiB. Device nodes without numbers at the end are disks, device nodes with numbers are partitions. Double check you are using the right device, dd will happily overwrite whatever you offer it as output.

Hello,
Thank you, for your help with my issue.
Only one thing I do not know how extract zImage and initrd , because I am using windows and command prompt is not accept Linux commands. Could you help me create those files for flash drive.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:21 pm 

I created a 'disk header' prepare_hd.zip. You should unzip it, and write it to the beginning of the disk. Maybe a tool like RawWrite can do that for you.