General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:10 pm 

Yesterday I was fool enough to update my Iomega EZ Media & Backup from 3.3.2 to 4.0.2

I have over 1.4 TB of Media (Music, Fotos, Videos and PC Backups) on my IEZMB, but after the update & reboot, all the share folders are gone. :x

When checking the system status, it shows 1.4TB as Other and 350GB as Free.

I spent over one hour on the phone with Lenovo (Not Iomega anymore) support rep, sharing my desctop and trying to access/enable the OTHER data, but nothing works using the standard application and menue options.

Since this is the first time this happen for Lenovo after installing 4.0.9960, they offer get into the box using SSH to find out what went wrong, I even had to sing a document regarding "Data might be Lost" while they try to solve the issue, etc.

So they will call me to arrange a session where the connect to the box using SSH and my PC.

I have copies of 70% of the files on my other computers, but the other 30% of the files only exists on the IEZMB, including family HD videos and photos.

I'm pretty sure :idea: , I can open the box, extract the drive and mount it using a SATA docking USB2 addapter, and move files to my PC (I don't have Linux but I can use Explore2fs or any other ext2 & ext3 software to copy files using Win7, but that would be my last resort, I don't even know if the files would be on a LOST folder or something like that.

Since Lenovo team didn't offer any waranty that they will recover the data (at least free), just investigate and try, ....

Do I have any other option to copy this files (command console) before openting the box and pull the drive? :idea:

Thanks in advance for all your help on this

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:10 pm 

I'm still waiting for Customer Support to take a look at my EZ box, they should call me back soon ( I hope).

Meanwhile, after the firmware upgrade to 4.0.2, many things changed inside the box.

For instance:

To access the diagnostic page (to enable SSH) is a different url
before you use this:
http://[your Box IP Addres]/diagnostics.html
now you use this:
http://[your Box IP Addres]]/manager/diagnostics.html

Also, the Root password, to enable SSH, known as soho[admin password] doesn't work anymore, so I can't connect using ssh to copy my files to the external drive.

Does anybody know the new root password for 4.0.2.9960?

Than,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:59 pm 

I created an Application which can be installed using the Application Manager. It installs FFP on the box. It works fine on my ix2-200, but I expect it to work also on an EzMedia. Among other goodies it wil start a loginless telnet daemon.

You can find it here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:57 pm 

Thanks Mijzelf,

unfortunately after the upgrade to 4.0.2 any attempt to change, create or modify any parameter, user, share folder, etc., ends up with the same error message, "action cannot be complete" or something like that. Somehow, the file system got all messed up (I guess permissions) and other than navigate through all the options, I can't do anything else. My PCs are not backed up since Monday, Quick Protect can't find the folders on the target anymore.

I'm waiting on Lenovo to see what can de do, the Drive is under warranty (less that 3 months).

Once again, thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:38 pm 

The good news is that finally I was able to recover 120GB of videos and pictures :D that I didn't have a backup on other drives in my network.

I just followed the steps on "Root access enabling (Home Media CE)" from the wiki pages, and it worked like a charm :geek: , of course, I had to open my Iomega EZ Media and Backup and connect the drive to a PC and boot using "Clonezilla" Live CD.

The instructions are very clear and after making the changes I put back the drive on the Iomega BOX, connect a USB drive with enough space, boot it up, connect using SSH with putty, and point to the directory /mnt/pool/A/A0/ and there were all my files.

I used cp -r to copy each folder I needed, and it was really fast compared to "Copy Jobs", I used that before and it took forever to copy folders from the a USB drive to the Iomega, at least that's how I look to me, probably because I was really happy :D .

Anyhow, the next step would be trying to revive the box so I can continue using it to back up my PC and have a Media Server for my Home Theater. Somehow, the file system got all messed up after the update, and finally, after pushing the Reset button in the back, I can't even login as Administrator or any other user anymore :cry: , so don't see a bright future for this box, other than using the 2TB drive for something else.

Any suggestion? can I override and clean install the 1.8GB partition (with Apps, Config and Pool directories)?

Note: I'm still waiting for a response from Lenovo :roll: , but apparently they are as confuse as me and have no clue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:59 pm 

If the box stil boots, you can reinstall the firmware, using an usb stick. Download EZMedia-recovery-4.0.2.9960.zip, unzip it to a FAT formatted USB stick (it contains one file emctools\hm3_images\files.tgz, the directories are important) of at least 2GB, and plug it into the nas. Press the reset button, and power up the nas. Keep the reset button pressed until you see a lot of activity on the stick, and if it doesn't have a led, for 2 minutes or so.
Reinstalling will take 10-60 minutes, depending on the write speed of your stick. (The file is extracted to the stick). When the install is done the box will switch itself off. Remove the stick and power it on again.

Disclaimer: I used the method on my own ix2-200, and according to the contents of the EzMedia firmware it should also work on that box. But I didn't test it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:55 pm 

Mijzelf,

That was exactly my plan for this weekend :geek: .

I read your post last week, where you suggested that procedure, and downloaded the file and had my Zip drive ready to test. but I didn't want to use it until I find a way to recover my files, since that's accomplished... Nothing can stop me know!! ;)

I still need to double check that I have copy/backup of all the files before I continue.

Quick question:
Should I clean the "user data" folders (delete all my files) on /mnt/pools/A/A0/... before I proceed? those folders are: Videos, Pictures, Documents, Music, etc., these are over 1.5GB

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:11 pm 

Doesn't matter. The disk is treated as empty, new partitions and new filesystems are made.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:55 am 

Mijzelf,

It work!! :D
you can confirm now that recovery procedure works also for Iomega EZ Media & Backup Center
I Power up while pushing Reset until the USB led start blinking a lot, after 10 minuts, all was reisntalled and the file system was recreated with all its folders.
I'm just re-configuring the box, setting the users and will start backing up the files and moving my 1.5 TB of Media.

Thanks !!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 am 

Nice! Did you use my zip file, or did you create your own recovery package from the firmware download?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:24 pm 

I used your zip file from http://downloads.iomega.nas-central.org/Users/Mijzelf/EZMedia/

The one big difference with v 4.0.2 and 3.3.2, now that I have a working 4.0.2 system, all was switched from Iomega software to Lenovo. Since I bought this NAS, I've been using Quick Protect to back up my PCs. It took me a while to enable the backup again, Quick Protect doesn't detect user share folders at all on 4.0.2, the only folder that shows is Media, even after making all my NAS folders as Share Folders and giving full access to everybody, they don't show, only the new "LenovoEMC Storage Manager" shows all the Share folder, including the users. The only way Quick Protect worked was typing the network folder instead of selecting from the Window.

My Windows user is not a single word but two, like John Smith, and was a problem when using LenovoEMC Storage Manager, because the NAS doesn't support it (Linux doesn't support a SPACE on the user account) so I had to find a workaround and give full access to everybody. The program should allow you to set your own user/password to connect to the NAS instead of using the current windows user.

Anyhow, I have to read the new Lenovo User Guide (HTML only), to see if I'm doing something wrong, or if I need to change the Program Quick Protect to something else to do the backups.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:20 pm 

Mijzelf,

Could you please explain how to "create your own recovery package from the firmware download". Is it simply copying the firmware to the flash drive or is there more involved. I tried to unzip the firmware package with 7z, and it doesn't work for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:44 am 

That reason is that the firmware is encrypted. Here you can find the whole story. Only the directory name 'ix2-200d_images' should be different for the EZ.

BTW, this USB stick is read by a script in initrd, which should already be on the box. For the ix2-200 it is in flash, but for the EZ the kernel and initrd should be on harddisk.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:15 pm 

Thanks for the clarification, I'm trying to replace the hard drive in the EZ with a clean one using this method, and kernel/initrd seems to be the issue. What's the simplest method of replacing the hard drive? Doing an image of the old one and writing it to the new one on a PC?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:41 am 

You'll need a binary copy of the first 8 MB of the disk, and a 'recovery thumb'. You can download the 'recovery thumb' here. Unzip it to a 2GB (or bigger) FAT formatted USB stick.
The file 'prepare_hd.zip' is intended to prepare the HD. You can unzip it and write it it raw to your new disk. In linux something like
Code:
dd if=prepare_hd of=/dev/sdb
Make sure you write to the right disk.
The prepare_hd file contains a kernel and a initrd, and should work, but AFAIK nobody tested it. The recovery file is tested, and works OK.
More here.