General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:19 pm 

If it crashes you don't even need to reboot. It's just userland software. We're not doing anything nasty. Yet.

@timtim: spooky!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:52 pm 

Hi,
Does these sources have drivers for the IP1001 nic?
I'm planning to build these sources & test on my Home Media drive.

timtim wrote:
Oh yeah, and I put the kernel sources here....

http://downloads.iomega.nas-central.org ... /2.6.24.7/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:49 pm 

Hello,

I just joined the forum, this is my first post here.

I have a strong feeling that eTRAYz is now a discontinued product. Xtreamer is not selling eTRAYz on their online shop anymore, and the firmware updates have stopped.

This way I started looking for some alternatives to replace the original OS of my eTRAYz, and searching for this subject on Google I stumbled upon this topic.

Instead of cross flashing a firmware from other vendors into eTRAYz (which is against the forum rules, per what I understand), I believe that a better alternative would be replacing the eTRAYz software by some open source NAS distribution (such as FreeNAS or OpenMediaVault).

My knowledge about eTRAYz is somewhat limited, but I do understand that there is some sort of firmware on flash memory that allows the eTRAYz installer (running on Windows) to push the full OS to eTRAYz hard disk. I would think that it runs some sort of TFTP server from this firmware, but I am not sure.

BTW, the eTRAYz software was not developed by Xtreamer, but it was outsourced to another Korean company called "Gluesys" (there are lots of references to GlueSys on eTRAYz scripts, and GlueSys also has a home NAS device called "MCube) that seems to be very similar to eTRAYz: http://www.gluesys.com/eng/product/pro03.htm (BTW, Google Chrome just complained that GlueSys website might be infected by some malware...).

My knowledge about Linux development is very limited (almost null), but I would be VERY interested in case anyone is able to run OpenMediaVault on eTRAYz, for example.

I have already bookmarked this topic, and hopefully in the future it will be possible to replace the original eTRAYz OS by some open source distribution...

Cheers!
dsouza

Last edited by dsouza on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:22 pm 

well, could copy the above post, found this forum on the hunt for a solution to get debian onto my e-trayz.

i can confirm that running debian in a chroot works fine, as Mijzelf outlined earlier - now the question would be how to proceed to get it running natively on this box.

thanks for any help

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:07 pm 

Can you post the output of
Code:
cat /proc/mounts
cat /proc/cmdline

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:57 pm 

Code:
[1:~]$ cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=ordered 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs rw 0 0
/proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/sda3 /home xfs rw,noatime,nodiratime,prjquota 0 0
/dev/root /root/dev ext3 rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=ordered 0 0

(chroot still mounted)

Code:
$ cat /proc/cmdline
console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/md0 ro mac_adr=0x00,0x1c,0x85,0x20,0x05,0x92 mem=128M poweroutage=yes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:38 pm 

Quote:
/dev/root / ext3 rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=ordered 0 0
root=/dev/md0 ro
The initial rootfs is loaded from /dev/md0, which is on harddisk(s?). It is mounted ro, yet the actual rootfs is rw. So either the initial rootfs is remounted rw, or the root is switched to another partition.
Another post in this thread gives the partitions:
Quote:
major minor #blocks name
8 0 488386584 sda
8 1 2000000 sda1
8 2 500000 sda2
8 3 485870942 sda3
31 0 4096 mtdblock0
9 0 1999936 md0
9 1 499904 md1
Obviously md0 is in sda1, and md1 is in sda2. According to the mount output sda3 is xfs, while the rootfs is ext3, so the rootfs is md0 or md1. Both are big enough (A Lenny rootfs can easily fit in 256MB).

I suppose you can just put a Lenny rootfs on md0, but maybe it's a good idea to first try to pivot_root to an USB stick, like it's done here. In that case you can pull the stick and boot the firmware again, if the Debian rootfs doesn't work. I don't know if you have a /linuxrc. If not you could also rename /sbin/init, and use a script instead. (When /sbin/init is a symlink to busybox, you may not rename it, but need to move it to another directory. Or call busybox directly)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:59 pm 

thanks mijzelf (or rather jurzelf? ;)) .. will give it a try as soon as i get to it..

i'm not seeing a /linuxrc, and actually have no idea yet what busybox has to do with this, but guess i should be able to research that myself with the info you provided..

thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:50 pm 

More then a year . . . someone a solution ???

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:05 am 

Hello

I registered just to comment on this topic. I would be very interested in this as my etrayz is starting to annoy me.
I was thinking of decommissioning the device and repurposing the storage from my HP Microserver running OMV in an ESXi 5.1 VM.

Any updates would be greatly received

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:05 am 

Hello

I registered just to comment on this topic. I would be very interested in this as my etrayz is starting to annoy me.
I was thinking of decommissioning the device and repurposing the storage from my HP Microserver running OMV in an ESXi 5.1 VM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:48 pm 

jjfixit wrote:
Hello

I am trying to install OMV on eTrayz, see http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=257&t=7401

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:04 pm 

Just a heads up on some new info, in case anyone is still trying to work on this device (also because this thread shows up easily in Google). Thecus has released source code for its N2200, which is also based on the Oxford 810DSE. You can get it here:

http://www.thecus.com/Downloads/GPL/n02 ... PL.tar.bz2 (217 MB)

From what I've seen, it contains kernel and driver sources but I don't know how complete it is.