General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:22 pm 

I would like to install OpenMediaVault on eTrayz. It needs debian to run so I have to install debian first.

My goal is to boot debian install from usb stick (I have the serial console on eTrayz running so access to uBoot), but to accomplish this uBoot needs usb support as the default installed uBoot 1.1.2 on eTrayz doesn't support boot from usb.

Would it be possible to get the uBoot sources for eTrayz so I will be able to compile a uBoot with usb support ?

Any support from xTreamer/eTrayz for this would be nice...

cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:31 am 

intrax wrote:
Would it be possible to get the uBoot sources for eTrayz
You should ask xTreamer for that.
Quote:
so I will be able to compile a uBoot with usb support ?
Possibly not. The eTrayz has an Oxnas SoC, AFAIK, which is badly supported by all kinds of open source stuff. It is perfectly possible that there is no u-boot usb support for the Ox810, because nobody implemented it. The hardware documentation of that SoC is not freely available, so implementing it could be hard.

But as I understood from another thread, u-boot loads an uImage from harddisk, so it it possible to compile your own uImage, and add an initramfs which mounts an usbdisk as rootfs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:53 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
You should ask xTreamer for that.

I have done so, but they are not very cooperative and apparently don't have the sources at least it's what they tell me...

Quote:
Possibly not. The eTrayz has an Oxnas SoC, AFAIK, which is badly supported by all kinds of open source stuff. It is perfectly possible that there is no u-boot usb support for the Ox810, because nobody implemented it. The hardware documentation of that SoC is not freely available, so implementing it could be hard.

I know but after some digging I found that etrayz is also known as:
-http://www.inxtron.com/network-attached-storage/nt2-lan
-http://www.akitio.com/network-storage/nt2-lan
maybe we can use https://github.com/lemenkov/u-boot-oxnas as uboot sources...

Quote:
But as I understood from another thread, u-boot loads an uImage from harddisk, so it it possible to compile your own uImage, and add an initramfs which mounts an usbdisk as rootfs.

This is true even a pivot_root would be possible as you yourself described in another thread here, but it would still require the os to boot from hd and my goal is to use the hd's only for data storage through omv and boot the os from usb.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:25 pm 

This post probably help you:

Ubuntu in Etrayz:

http://forum.xtreamer.net/topic/8248-etrayz-ubuntu-904/

Etrayz alternative kernel:

http://forum.xtreamer.net/topic/10102-e ... ve-kernel/

I'm interested. Maybe I could help a bit.
tell your progress.

Don' forget that Etrayz is ARM cpu not i386.
I view here a omv arm projetc:
https://github.com/seidler2547/omv-arm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:35 pm 

Still trying to get hold of u-Boot sources and board config for oxnas-810 to implement usb support...

edit:
I have contacted u-Boot development and they say sources, driver and board config for eTrayz u-Boot 1.1.2 were never published and merged into their source tree, so I asked xTreamer (again) to publish these, which under the u-Boot open source licence they are obliged to do ! Moreover the linux kernel sources and boot filesystem stored in eTrayz flash were also NEVER published.
This is also in violation of the linux open source licence !

For people who are interested picture of serial console on eTrayz board:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Q ... directlink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:18 pm 

I've put in a significant effort over the last few weeks to get this to work, but I seem to get stuck on all fronts:

- uBoot sources for eTrayz are nowhere to be found and xTreamer is not cooperating. I found some github repositories containing oxnas810 source but usb support was never implemented and I cannot find any description of how to do that. Moreover there is no documentation of the board used in eTrayz to be found on the net.

- I compiled 'reloaded.ko' kernel module by Mijzelf see http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Running_a_rootfs_from_usb_%28Home_Media%29. The kernel reboots without problems and loads my own eTrayz kernel from usb, but refuses to load the network firmware so no ethernet device and that is pretty useless for a nas device. I learned that squeeze udev fails to load the network firmware on kernels older than 2.6.27 (http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/11/msg00392.html) and eTrayz kernel source doesn't go beyond 2.6.24.4. So I guess I'm stuck there as well... :twisted:

Any suggestions of how to proceed ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 pm 

Quote:
I found some github repositories containing oxnas810 source but usb support was never implemented and I cannot find any description of how to do that.
I suppose that is exactly the reason it's not implemented. Oxnas didn't document their usb interface, (or at least didn't publish that document) so the poor u-boot developer should have to extract the documentation from the Linux GPL sources.
Quote:
Moreover there is no documentation of the board used in eTrayz to be found on the net.
Have you ever looked at the board? My HMNHD is basically only a SoC and memory. Not much to document.
Quote:
refuses to load the network firmware so no ethernet device

You could write a script that implements this:
Code:
kernel(driver): calls request_firmware(&fw_entry, $FIRMWARE, device)

userspace:
        - /sys/class/firmware/xxx/{loading,data} appear.
        - hotplug gets called with a firmware identifier in $FIRMWARE
          and the usual hotplug environment.
                - hotplug: echo 1 > /sys/class/firmware/xxx/loading

kernel: Discard any previous partial load.

userspace:
                - hotplug: cat appropriate_firmware_image > \
                                        /sys/class/firmware/xxx/data

kernel: grows a buffer in PAGE_SIZE increments to hold the image as it
         comes in.

userspace:
                - hotplug: echo 0 > /sys/class/firmware/xxx/loading

kernel: request_firmware() returns and the driver has the firmware
         image in fw_entry->{data,size}. If something went wrong
         request_firmware() returns non-zero and fw_entry is set to
         NULL.

kernel(driver): Driver code calls release_firmware(fw_entry) releasing
                 the firmware image and any related resource.
Or maybe you can compile a kernel using the NSA210 sources. AFAIK that box has no firmware in userspace, so it must be embedded in the kernel.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:00 pm 

@Mijzelf
Thanks your reply.

Mijzelf wrote:
Have you ever looked at the board? My HMNHD is basically only a SoC and memory. Not much to document.

For people who are interested picture of serial console on eTrayz board:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Q ... directlink

Quote:
Code:
kernel(driver): calls request_firmware(&fw_entry, $FIRMWARE, device) etc.

Yes probably but not my poc. I could also declare eTrayz and xTreamer company EOL !

Quote:
Or maybe you can compile a kernel using the NSA210 sources. AFAIK that box has no firmware in userspace, so it must be embedded in the kernel.

Why? I can compile the eTrayz kernel and include the the gmac.ko module in the kernel, but that still would not solve the udev load problem. The gmac.ko seems to load some proprietry software to make the network interface functional.

I get following error trying to bring up eth0:
Code:
eth0: PHY is LSI ET1011C
open() eth0: Failed to load CoPro firmware
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Input/output error
eth0: PHY is LSI ET1011C
open() eth0: Failed to load CoPro firmware

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:00 am 

intrax wrote:
Quote:
Code:

Yes probably but not my poc. I could also declare eTrayz and xTreamer company EOL !
Sure you could. But what is the fun in it?
BTW, you quoted the wrong line. That part is supposed to be done by the kernel. The userland part could be something like this
Code:
hotplug()
{
    while [ ! -f /sys/class/firmware/xxx/loading ]
    do
        sleep 10
    done
    echo 1 > /sys/class/firmware/xxx/loading
    cat appropriate_firmware_image > /sys/class/firmware/xxx/data
    echo 0 > /sys/class/firmware/xxx/loading
}

hotplug &
insmod gmac.ko
Don't know what xxx should be, but I suppose you could have a look which directory pops up when insmodding gmac.ko.

Quote:
Why? I can compile the eTrayz kernel and include the the gmac.ko module in the kernel, but that still would not solve the udev load problem. The gmac.ko seems to load some proprietry software to make the network interface functional.
Read carefully. If the '210 has no firmware in userspace, udev cannot possibly upload it to the kernel, so it must be already there!. The is no technical reason the firmware is not just included in the gmac driver (well, one. It's more difficult to free the memory it's occupying)
BTW, are you sure you can include the module in the kernel? I think that would mean the NIC is initialized when no userspace is available yet, so it cannot request firmware from outside. This means the module can only be compiled as module, or the firmware is included when the module is included, or there is some mechanism to delay the actual initialization of the NIC.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:00 am 

intrax wrote:
Quote:
Code:

BTW, you quoted the wrong line. That part is supposed to be done by the kernel. The userland part could be something like this
Code:
hotplug()
{
    while [ ! -f /sys/class/firmware/xxx/loading ]
    do
        sleep 10
    done
    echo 1 > /sys/class/firmware/xxx/loading
    cat appropriate_firmware_image > /sys/class/firmware/xxx/data
    echo 0 > /sys/class/firmware/xxx/loading
}

hotplug &
insmod gmac.ko
Don't know what xxx should be, but I suppose you could have a look which directory pops up when insmodding gmac.ko.

Quote:
Read carefully. If the '210 has no firmware in userspace, udev cannot possibly upload it to the kernel, so it must be already there!. The is no technical reason the firmware is not just included in the gmac driver (well, one. It's more difficult to free the memory it's occupying)
BTW, are you sure you can include the module in the kernel? I think that would mean the NIC is initialized when no userspace is available yet, so it cannot request firmware from outside. This means the module can only be compiled as module, or the firmware is included when the module is included, or there is some mechanism to delay the actual initialization of the NIC.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:02 pm 

SUCCES! :lol:

Got firmware loaded and eth0 running... I installed the wrong udev package to the rootfs... after correction can now start udevd and its loading the gmac_copro_firmware !

Mijzelf wrote:

I know but I'm fed up with xTreamer company as they made many promises but delivered very little and pushed all critical remarks from their site i/o acting on them... :twisted:

Installed mdadm and got all my raid arrays running perfectly... so next step is installing mediavault...

will keep you posted ! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:45 pm 

Finally ! :)
Got OMV running on eTrayz from usb stick using reload.ko and reload.sh to reboot kernel from usb.
Running on eTrayz kernel 2.6.24.4 and using udev from lenny.
Installed OMV required packages from squeeze.
For more info on installing omv look here:
http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewto ... f=8&t=1608

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:18 pm 

Looks like I'll have to patch the kernel for 'signalfd' to have the latest udev working...
Anyone ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:24 pm 

A few weeks ago i have read that minimum requirement for udev 164 is kernel 2.6.31 :cry:
I am trying to run squeezy on etrayz booting from its own sata hdd (with no raid) with no success. I have no serial console so i blind for the startup.
Used diff between vanilla kernel source 2.6.24.4 and etray kernel souce 2.6.24.4 to know the source code differences, patched 2.6.27 seem to be ok but i could not test if it works. Any try to patch a version over fails.
My linux knowledge is really limited but tell me if i can help you.

Last edited by Rufuss on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:32 pm 

Rufuss wrote:
A few weeks ago i have read that minimum requirement for udev 164 is kernel 2.6.31 :cry:
I am trying to run squeezy on etrayz booting from its own hdd without raid.
I have got the patch againts native 2.6.24.4 using diff on 2.6.24.4 from etrayz sources.
Patched 2.6.27 seem to be ok but i could not test if it works, any try to patch a version over fails.
I have no serial access on etrayz and my linux knowledge is really limited.
Tell me if i can help you.

Right, I tried to patch vanilla kernel 2.6.31 using same diff and failed. So to me seems no possibile... :(
You can run debian rootfs using current eTrayz kernel and use lenny udev. It will work and you can install openmediavault, but lvm cause kernel traceback. so caused reduced functionality in omv.
As PLX has never upstreamed their kernel changes for the OXE7810DSE a newer kernel for eTrayz(oxnas810) seems out of reach...
Maybe Akitio (http://www.akitio.com/network-storage/nt2-lan) has done something ?