General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:00 pm 

I still haven't tested to copy large amount of DATA from the medion pc to the NAS server directly connected with a gigabit ethernetcable.

The mediaserver is disabled , so that will be my next test.

But now I have connected the NAS server to the router.

As a test I downloaded a dvd from the NAS server, on a small notebook, Wifi. speed is very low 6MB/S. a time later, I was downloading the same dvd on my laptop, my laptop has a speed of 3MB/sec. so total of let say 10MB/sec.

OK, my router is not a gigabit router, but at least 100MB/sec. So why can't I receive at least 21MB/sec (same speed as with NAS connected directly to laptop with gigabit cable). with wifi?

I will try it out with a cable from my router to the laptop, but I have the feeling the speed will be also 6MB/s.

tested: speed is 10 MB/sec if I connect my sony laptop with a ethernet cable to my router. if I use wifi, speed is around 5MB/s.

So so called N-draft technology is not that fast?? hmm
Do I need a gigabit router to get the same speed as The NAS was directly connected to laptop (21MB/s)?? pfff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:26 am 

You are mixing up bits&bytes. If your router is not gigabit, it's 100Mbit. 100Mbit equals 12.5MByte. In practice, due to overhead, the maximum throughput through an 100Mbit line is about 11MB/sec. So 10MB/sec is not bad.

Wifi is a synonym for 'unreliable speed'. N draft is at best 130Mbit, but the overhead for wireless is bigger. so that doesn't equal 14Mbyte. Further that bandwidth is shared by all devices. Only one device can 'talk' at a time. This also means that the connection is 'half duplex'. The PC is sending TCP packages to the NAS, all numbered, and the NAS has to acknowledge the packages are received. So for each acknowledge the upload has to be paused, which, in most cases, halves the throughput. From your 130Mbit (*if* you get 130Mbit, there are many jammers on 2.4GHz) you can use about 110Mbit, which is halved to 55Mbit for handshaking, and that 55Mbit has to be shared by all devices you own.

For comparison, a 100Mbit wire gives you 100Mbit up and 100Mbit down, at the same time, for a single device.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:59 am 

is there a router that has full duplex for wifi? or is half duplex the only standard that is possible for wifi?

So If I delete all the devices in my router which are connected through wifi, the speed will improve?

If I have a gigabit router , will then the wifi improve or same speed?

So to do mass copy , best method is to directly connect the NAS with the device and not through a router.
Unless the usb stick you have mentioned can have better speed?

At the mean time, I'm satisfied with the 30MB speed if NAS is connected directly to pc/laptop, to copy the DATA.
This method is simple, not any risk involved and I don't have to invest time in learning the method your mentioned.

But in case the method can have the fastest speed, If you could say how much speed you receive , maybe I will make some time to understand the usb method (controlling the NAS directly)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:21 am 

Quote:
is there a router that has full duplex for wifi?
Not that I'm aware of. Full duplex means talking and listening at the same time. Which means using 2 channels (more interference with your neighbors), and so 2 radio's. While it is theoretically possible, AFAIK it doesn't exist.
Quote:
So If I delete all the devices in my router which are connected through wifi, the speed will improve?
Don't know what 'deleting in the router' means. If those devices are online, then they take precious bandwidth.
Quote:
If I have a gigabit router , will then the wifi improve or same speed?
Gigabit routers may implement multichannel N, which might have a theoretical bandwidth of 300 - 450Mbit. But your clients need to support that too. An AFAIK the whole network steps down to the max speed of the weakest client. So in practice, no, a faster router won't improve your speed, unless you also upgrade all your clients.
There is an exception in 5GHz AP's. These have 2 separate networks, one on 2.4GHz, and one on 5GHz. If you have only one client in 5GHz, that one will get the full load of that network. Unfortunately 5GHz has a bad penetration. It can hardly pass a single wall.
Quote:
But in case the method can have the fastest speed, If you could say how much speed you receive
I get 25MB/sec. But that is on a ZyXEL NSA325, which is different hardware. 25MB/sec seems to be the max speed for any USB(2) mass storage device, so you won't get higher. The main improvement of using FFP is that you can switch off your PC while a huge copy is pending. Not that it is faster than the most optimal network upload.

BTW, if you can 30MB/sec over Samba, you might get 35 over FTP.
BTW2, if you want gigabit, you only need to use a gigabit switch. Assuming your cabling is gigabit capable. That is cheaper than a gigabit router.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:18 pm 

Haramo wrote:
Hi

I found something :

If I disable it, I have arround 30MB speed, enabled arround 20 , mostly 17MB speed. (tested on my laptop).

Thanks for pointing me that out. the speed is now the same as when I copy to public sharefolder

Before I start copying , I did disabled some things (like itunes server, ftp server, .. ). Well everything I could disable I disable it. But the one in the image, I haven't seen. or maybe I thaught it could do anything wrong... .

according to the medion pc, also possible can be the harddrive that is faster then on the laptop?

and no, cpu of laptop is not fully loaded, I still can work with my laptop.

Quote:
...set the 'automatic scan time' to 0 or -1. This disables live scanning...

This is what I found:

So If I change the value to 0 it will be disabled. Then I can be sure the DATA won't be damaged if I copy from a deeper lever (folders)? I will test it out, see if the problem is solved... .
My germain is not that good, but lucky there is google translate.

It seems that the -1 is not the cause of damaged jpg pictures.

I have found the cause:

I have to disable photo sharing. it seems that the picture are only damaged if they are copied in the PHOTO share on the NAS server, not on the public server. and it doesn't matter if it's in a deeper folder or not .

and strange, one jpg works, but the other jp doesn't work. I thaught because of the long name. But I have exactly the same jpg pictures in another subfolder (deeper folder), but he the jpg with the longest name opens without any error but the other one is damaged.

Strange not?? BMP is ok , if photo sharing is enabled.

Does linux has difficulties working with jpg files?

hmm.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:00 am 

about speed result with self made cat6 ethernet cable, direct connection between NAS computer.

Cross cable cat 6:

samsung notebook (couldn't detect the NAS with a standard cable):

speed: around 11MB/sec

Sony laptop (with the original cat 5e standard cable included with the NAS, I received around 30MB):

cross cable cat6:

speed : arround 10MB/sec

How come the speed on sony is less then the cat5e (30MB/s)? I thaught maybe that cross cable slow down the speed, so I made a cat 6 standard cable:

speed: arround 11MB/s.

I bought new cat6 ethernetcable the site even garantueed it's 100% copper and they give 15 years warranty.
It's U/UTP cat6.

Why don't I get at least 30MB with the sony laptop with the standard cat6 cable?

I see now that th inclued cat5e cable is a :

cat 5e cable 24awg cat5e STP

cat 6 is UTP. But I thaught that cat6 UTP for home use would deliver higher speed without any problem??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:23 am 

Just my experience with the medion nas ( P89660 md 86979)

I have a Gigabit router, cat5e cables. My windows 7 pc first properly showed Gigabit connection over the Realtek PCIe GBE Gigabit, but lately i noticed it only shows 100MB. My router shows a green led from the pc while my NAS and Playstation 3 show a propper blue led (indicating Gigabit ). I use Fillezila SFTP 2 connections and disabled ftp in the nas, itunes, download service etc. Im getting max 4.5MB/s with Filezilla per thread.

It took me awhile to copy 1.3 TB from usb drive to the NAS. Tried in two ways;
FTP from usb drive connected to pc, really slow (4.5 MB/s) so i connected the usb drive directly to the Nas and used the otc button.
From that 1.3TB 1.1TB was made out of 273 ISO files. The other 200 GB large MKV files. I took me almost 2 days to copy it all over, usb connected to nas otc button.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:02 am 

zoejoe wrote:
Just my experience with the medion nas ( P89660 md 86979)

I have a Gigabit router, cat5e cables. My windows 7 pc first properly showed Gigabit connection over the Realtek PCIe GBE Gigabit, but lately i noticed it only shows 100MB. My router shows a green led from the pc while my NAS and Playstation 3 show a propper blue led (indicating Gigabit ). I use Fillezila SFTP 2 connections and disabled ftp in the nas, itunes, download service etc. Im getting max 4.5MB/s with Filezilla per thread.

It took me awhile to copy 1.3 TB from usb drive to the NAS. Tried in two ways;
FTP from usb drive connected to pc, really slow (4.5 MB/s) so i connected the usb drive directly to the Nas and used the otc button.
From that 1.3TB 1.1TB was made out of 273 ISO files. The other 200 GB large MKV files. I took me almost 2 days to copy it all over, usb connected to nas otc button.

That is way I'm searching for the fastest speed. I too tried the OTC button, but canno know how fast it goes, but I think not that fast as the NAS direct connected with the laptop.

I think the fastest and easiest method is to connect the NAs with the computer/laptop which has the data and copy everything.

But now I want tweak it a little better. Also I want to install cat 6 cable in the house. Before I wil do this, I need to be sure the speed is minimum 30MB/sec when NAS is connected directly to laptop wITH the self made cat6 cable.

If I cannot get minimum this speed, then something is wrong with the cable or I need STP cat6? Why do they then advertise that UTP is enough for home use?

or I made an error while installing the connectors? Would I then have connection with the NAS server if the little cables were not correct in place?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:03 pm 

There should be no difference in speed between STP and UTP, unless you are in an electrically very dirty environment. And cat 5e or 6 should also give no difference, unless the length is dozens of metres.

If you have shell access, you can use 'ethtool' to find out what speed the NIC of the NAS is using.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:37 pm 

Ok, It was alreaday told by 'mijzelf', that the speed is arround 35MB/s if I enter the shell.

But I also said I would not have time now to find out how to do it. And because there is a risk to it.

So at the mean time, I'm happy with the speed (30MB) I receive if I connect the NAS directly to the pc/laptop.

So if I understand correctly: The cat 6(utp) and 5e(stp), shouldn't have any difference in speed.

So two things left:

or my connectors are not installed good enough (is this possible that the connection works but lower speed because of BAD OR NO connection with one of the little cables?)

or the cat6 cable is not real: I already put a burning flame on a piece of copper, it doesn't melt, so it should be no fake as copper doesn't melt on low temperature, but aluminium does.

But I'm pretty sure the cable is correct. But I have send an email to the supplier and see what he wil say about it.

So I will concentrate on the lengths and my installation of the connectors.

the lenght I used was between 35cm and 40 cm. almost half a meter.

Maybe too short is also not good?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:49 pm 

Haramo wrote:
or my connectors are not installed good enough (is this possible that the connection works but lower speed because of BAD OR NO connection with one of the little cables?)
Yes. 100Mbit uses 2 pairs, while gigabit uses 4 pairs. So a gigabit cable with a bad connection has a 50% chance to be a 'valid' 100Mbit cable.

Further the pairs are very important. One pair is <somecolor>/<somecolor>-white, and pairs should be handled well. You cannot connect the wires in whatever sequence.

Quote:
or the cat6 cable is not real: I already put a burning flame on a piece of copper, it doesn't melt, so it should be no fake as copper doesn't melt on low temperature, but aluminium does.
Have you also tried a magnet? There are cables with iron inside.

Quote:
the lenght I used was between 35cm and 40 cm. almost half a meter.
Maybe too short is also not good?
Don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:27 pm 

I just tested the cable with a cable tester.

the leds from 1 to 8 they all flash two by two. the last one , has a letter 'G'. Only the led above flashes, the led beneath it not.

If I turn the cable , the same led from G flashes.

Does this mean that Gigabit is not possible? The userguide doesn't tell nothing about the G, even nothing about the numbers 1 to 8, but I assume these numbers are the little cables?

I will test with magnet.

edited: the little cables do not attach to magnet. and for the G led, I tested the cable 5e that had no problem giving me 30MB/s. this cable was delivered with the NAS server: both leds of G flashing.

So If all my leds from 1 to 8 are flashing but G not both, does this mean the cable is not gigabit? This would be strange no? or I did a bad job connecting the connectors... .pfff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:28 pm 

I have no idea what the 'G' means. But I know a cable which seems to be OK using a simple cable tester (which only measures the impedance), can still be wrong when the pairs are wrong. A good cable has it's pairs AaBCcbDd, where each upper-lower pair is a pair.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:29 pm 

I cannot access the admin folder on the NAS server? I login with the username (\username) and the pasword of the NAS server.

I do have access to te public folder, video, music folder, photo folder.

how come?

As i have tested the download server of the NAS server , it downloaded the file to a folder names download/torrents.

But I cannot find this folder on my NAS server. So I think it should be on the Admin folder, but cannot access it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:38 pm 

You can only access the admin directory when logged in as admin.