General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:24 am 

Hi, I'm new to this forum and the equipment is getting a tad dated, but I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction with this problem.
The blue HDD access led was pulsing, while the green network activity led was actively flashing, however, the NAS didn't pick up a network address, so couldn't interrogate the box, I'm assuming it didn't boot.
I removed the internal HDD and was then able to capture an IP address and boot.
I used a docking station to mount the HDD to Linux, running on my PC and was able to see both partitions and read files from both partitions, so nothing appears lost.
I believe the NAS scan and fix places any corrections in a LostAndFound directory in the smaller partition. Checked this directory and it was empty, so I assume nothing needed fixing.
Tried the HDD back in the NAS ( you never know!) and it produced the same faulty behaviour.
I had read somewhere here on the forum, that the system can be rewritten back to the HDD from ROM and was thinking this could be a solution, assuming that's been somehow corrupted, but I'm not sure how to initiate it.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:39 pm 

On the first partition you can find a big file 'sysdisk.img'. This is the file which is installed from rom. If you delete it, it should be re-generated on boot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:23 am 

Thanks. I'll give it a go.
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:46 am 

I renamed sysdisk.img to sysdisk_old.img and reinstalled the HDD in the NAS, but this didn't fix the problem. NAS is still behaving exactly the same; pulsing blue led, flashing green led and not acquiring an IP address.
I removed HDD from NAS again, connected it to my PC running LINUX and yes, the sysdisk.img file was freshly written to the first partition.
Although the renamed IMG file had been deleted.
Does the system rewrite process rewrite the whole first partition?
What about HDD MBR?
Once upon a time I would probably be able to flesh some of this stuff out myself, but it's been a long time between drinks, added to which I'm a babe in arms when it comes to anything non MS based.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:04 am 

It's perfectly possible that the whole first partition is reformatted when the sysdisk.img is not found. Details can be found in /etc/init.d/rcS (which is *not* on disk, you have no access at the moment.)

Anyway, the fact that the sysdisk.img is re-created proves that the box is booting, and that it mounts at least the first partition.

You can use an 'Universal stick' to get telnet access to the box. Extract the zipfile to a FAT formatted USB stick, and rename usb_key_func.sh.network_telnet to usb_key_func.sh.2. Plug it in the box and boot it. It should assign itself the IP address 192.168.0.33, and start a (loginless) telnet daemon. If that IP is inconvenient for you, you can edit usb_key_func.sh.2, but make sure the file keeps it's Linux line endings. On Windows this can be done using PsPad (and many other editors).

When the box is booted, you can telnet in (PuTTY can do that for you), and look at some system files:
Code:
cat /proc/mounts
cat /proc/partitions

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:41 am 

Thanks Mijzelf,
I'll strap myself in and give it a go. :shock: