General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: safe with raid?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:26 pm 

Last year I bougth a NSA325 and two 3gb WD red and used them in a raid setup to be sure I did not loose any information with a possible diskfailure...
Two months ago I could no longer reach my disk(s) and after some testingg I realized the unit was dead.
The shop then replaced my unit with a new one but since NSA325 has been replaced with the successor NSA325v2 I got this instead (had to pay a little inbetween but that is OK). Now when I wanted to use the old disks on the new unit, the unit wants to format the disks...
I also tried to read the disks on a Windods computer but the computer could not read the disks so how do I copy the information to another disk before I reformat the disks inthe new┬┤unit (so I can copy them back to the NSA...

You believe yuor data is safe but even with raid it only works if the NAS does not break...

Any suggestions, can you set up acopmuter so it can read the NSA disk format?

Post subject: Re: safe with raid?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:21 am 

Any Linux PC can do. Any PC booted from a Linux Live CD or -USB stick is sufficient.

Connect one disk to your Linux PC, and open a console (terminal). Locate your disk:
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
You will see disks (sdx where x = [a..z]) and partitions (sdxn where n = [1..]). The size is given in blocks, which are kB. ZyXEL puts the data partition on the 2nd partition, So you are searching for a sdx2, which is about 3000000000 blocks.
In the rest of the story I'll assume the datapartition to be sdb2

Now type 'su' or 'sudo su' (depending on your distro) to get root access. Assemble the raid array from one disk:
Code:
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sdb2 --run
Create a mountpoint and mount it:
Code:
mkdir -p /tmp/mountpoint
mount -o ro /dev/md0 /tmp/mountpoint
Now you can access your data via the gui in /tmp/mountpoint.

Raid is not a backup. It protects you against failure of a single disk, but doesn't protect you against all other threats. A good backup is offline, and preferably offsite.