General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:44 am 

Hello,

I am a first time user of this forum. Hope this topic is not misdirected.

Here goes:

I have a ZYXEL NSA320S with a full 3tb drive (of over 400 movies in MKV format) set up as JBOD. It was working fine.

Yesterday, I added a second 3 TB drive to the JBOD array, but it appeared the second disk did not show it had another 3tb of space available. As an alternative I then foolishly removed the new drive, placed it into my PC, formatted it, assigned it a drive letter - with intent to add films to it and run my PLEX media server from both the NAS and the PC going forward.

Unfortunately, the NSA320S has now set the original disk as inactive and the NSA320S device itself is now in 'Initialization' status.

No action I have taken thus far will make the original disk accessible.

The ask?

Is it possible to rectify the situation with the NAS without loosing the entire film library? The ZYXEL initialization asks to allow the wiping of data to the original disk which I have not granted. I am hoping I can either configure the device to override the initialization, activate the single drive and/or find a software method of copying this 3TB library of media files to an NTFS disk.

It took over a year to build this library. Would hate to loose it because I did something stupid. :|

Any guidance if greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:31 am 

Maybe the action can be reverted. But you'll first have to investigate what actually happened. To do so you need shell access. You can use the Universal Stick to get telnet access.

Then paste the output of
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
cat /proc/mounts
cat /proc/mdstat

Quote:
It took over a year to build this library. Would hate to loose it because I did something stupid. :|
You should have a backup. That disk will fail, some day.