General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:19 pm 

Hi all,

Thank you for your reading time in this my first message to this active, well-structured forum.

I have a brand new Zyxel NAS 326 NAS drive (default factory firmware V5.11(AAZF.2) and NO updated to latest firmware V5.20(AAZF.1)). It is configured with two 4-year-old disks (4TB and 2TB) that have not been extensively used.

Before posting, I have read in detail Wikipedia SMART page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T. to have a better understanding of the meaning of the different and relevant values, as well as a couple of pages regardint SMART values and interpretation.

The fact that the SMART info in my NAS is displaying some pre-fail values has alerted me so I would please, ask your advice. I have taken screenshots in order to facilitate your kind advice. As far as I understand, SMART IDs 5, 10, 183, 184, 187, 188, 196, 197, 198, 201, 230 are the ones to pay close attention to. However, the result from the Zyxel SMART test does not provide info for IDs183, 184, 187,188, 201, 230. Old-age result I assume is because the hard disks are not brand new, so to say.

As said before, any piece of advice is welcome and appreciated.

Regards,

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:38 pm 

'Old-age' and 'Pre-fail' are not status flags, but vendor labels. They say: 'If this value drops below the given threshold, the vendor expects it to be normal wear (Old-age) or the disk might be about to fail (Pre-fail).'

As your values are all well above the threshold value, there is nothing wrong with your disks (as far as SMART can say anything about that).

(BTW, in most cases it's more convenient to use the command line tool smartctl instead of it's webinterface wrapper. It gives more info, and as it's text, it's easier to copy&paste)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:49 am 

Mijzelf, thank you very much for your reply. I have run two tests short (2 minutes) and extended (9h24m) both succesfully with Hard Disk Sentinel on Windows (removed the drive from the NAS, plugged it in a USB HD adapter). Details of SMART test results at http://pastebin.com/ixysHrH2 As suggested, I have installed smartmontools under Windows and run smartclt short test and print all info http://pastebin.com/6X9KtW6C

No matter what the tests result in, I have noticed twice already that, when moving contents (video, say 100GB) to the NAS at some point in time the NAS will sort of "freeze", trying to access it via web http://nas326/ or Windows explorer \\nas326 will not be possible. Just as if it had dissappeared. Trying to shutdown the NAS by pressing the top front button will result in nothing and the only option is unplugging the NAS from the power source. Maybe my HD is healthy and it's the thumbs that are being created causing all the trouble? Because I don't know what other tests to run un the HD for health certainty.

Thank you once more,

Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:49 pm 

Quote:
Trying to shutdown the NAS by pressing the top front button will result in nothing
That's bad. The button press is handled by some usermode daemon. If that fails to shutdown the box, odds are that nobody is home anymore. Maybe a kernel panic or something like that.

Have you tried if an ssh session survives the problems?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:48 am 

Thank you again for your support. The fact is, I have just taken the following steps:

1. Updated firmware to latest V5.20(AAZF.1)
  2. Plugged back the 4TB HD to the nas
  3. Created a volume
  4. Enabled ssh
  5. Accessed the nas via ssh
  6. Accessed the nas via Windows Explorer
  7. Everyting seems to be ok

The question is, maybe it's all due to the CPU being at 100% because of massive video file transfer and thumbnail generation? This might be a little deviation from original topic but I cannot find to disable thumb generation. I remember reading a post of yours in a different topic suggestion the way to disable it is from the dashboard. However, please, check mine (screenshot below) and see there is no such option, or I cannot find it. Could you please advise on how to disable it? Via ent-ware ng? I have read it can be installed in a pendrive attached to the back usb plugs? Any specific instructions? Appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:58 am 

The thumbnail function is part of MyZyxelCloud. Somewhere in it's settings you can disable it. (You can also uninstall MyZyxelCloud, but you'll first have to disable the automatic installer. Tweaks has an option to disable it.)

Quote:
The question is, maybe it's all due to the CPU being at 100% because of massive video file transfer and thumbnail generation?
Thumbnail generation can certainly push the CPU load to 100%. But that shouldn't disturb the normal OS tasks. (OK, transfers will be slower, but I think that's more I/O limited than CPU limited)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:37 pm 

Thank you once more for the advice! Screenshot below. I will do some more testing and if error persists I will provide additional details. This time, thumbnails will be disabled.