General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: HELP IX4-100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:39 am 

If your box was actually running the latest firmware I'd expect the provided recovery stick to work. Are you sure you don't have a dead disk? And also, maybe the recovery only works with empty disks.
The recovery is triggered by the lack of firmware on the disk, or by some user action, like pressing the reset button while booting. But I don't know if that last action actually works on an IX4-100.

The procedure for extracting the firmware files is described here.

You can also upload the older firmwares to my ftp server, then I'll have a look. PM'ed you the address.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:54 am 

Thanks so much for replying! I don't think I have a bad disk. All disk lights are blue and I have no indication, other that the red blinking light, of malfunction. I will try to completely erase all disks and give it one more try. In the mean time I have already uploaded the older firmwares for your ftp site, as the process for taking them apart is quite complicated for me. Thanks again!

Update: I cleaned all 4 disks (using Windows diskpart utility) and retried. This time the box read the USB key and after a while it turned of. I removed the USB key and restarted it and now I get get the alternating red(3x) / green (3x) sequence and all 4 drive leds solid blue. The alternating sequence indicates drive failure but the solid blue that all drives are healthy. :?:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:54 pm 

I'm uploading the first restore key (2.0.11).

Have you looked at the current contents of the disks? Are they repatitioned, ...?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:49 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
I'm uploading the first restore key (2.0.11).

Have you looked at the current contents of the disks? Are they repatitioned, ...?

Thank you so much for the restore keys Mijzelf!! I'm downloading both now...

I turned the box completely off while in the the alternating red(3x) / green (3x) sequence and all 4 drive leds solid blue state. Then I restarted it with a USB key I made using the DriveFWUpdater-1.8.exe utility. This time the box started again with the the alternating red(3x) / green (3x) sequence but this time all drive leds were blinking in blue. I was even able to access the Web interface, which displayed some sort of reconstructing status, which then changed to something like initializing parity with the main led blinking in red, and I even enabled the SSH functionality. I connected to it using Putty and was even able to monitor the progress, which btw is very very slow. However, after approximately 1-2 hours (at 10% of initializing parity) I lost the box from the network completely :!: :!: :!:

As of now the main led is still blinking in red and I am still unable to contact the device over the network :(. I'm pretty sure it is still in the of initializing parity state but I cannot be sure how much more it needs to get completed. I'm thinking of letting it there for a couple of days and then see what I can do. Do you have anything else to recommend?

Thanks so much for all you help!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:41 am 

It's strange that a box which seems to work normally, looses it's network while building a raid array. That points to a hardware problem. It is a good idea to check the SMART status of the disks.

'DriveFWUpdater-1.8.exe', is that supposed to bring the box to firmware 1.8? If yes, is the binary several dozens of megabytes? In that case it can have the 1.8 firmware embedded. Could you also upload that?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:16 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
It's strange that a box which seems to work normally, looses it's network while building a raid array. That points to a hardware problem. It is a good idea to check the SMART status of the disks.

'DriveFWUpdater-1.8.exe', is that supposed to bring the box to firmware 1.8? If yes, is the binary several dozens of megabytes? In that case it can have the 1.8 firmware embedded. Could you also upload that?

Mijzelf hi!

'DriveFWUpdater-1.8.exe', is a utility I downloaded from iomega which installs firmwares for several storcenter types. For ix4-100 installes the exact same firmware you have included in your version of USB key. I have uploaded the utility on you FTP server for just in case you want to take a loot. As far as my box is concerned, it still build the raid array and still is not accessible through the network :( How can I check the SMART status of the disks? I assume that I have to turn the device off? One thing I remember from when I was able to connect to the interface is that all four disks had green color without any other indication on them. I'm thinking of giving it another day to do its job and see if networking comes back.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:44 pm 

As long as the box is clearly doing something with the disk I would leave it alone, but if it takes more than a week it's in a loop.
Quote:
How can I check the SMART status of the disks?
There are two ways, inside and outside the box. If you have telnet or ssh access you can run
Code:
smartctl -a /dev/sda
for the first disk, sdb for the second, sdc ...,
Outside the box you'll have the disk to an (e-)sata interface, and use a tool like Cristaldisk info or HDtune.

I looked at the executable. It's to small to contain firmware. I think it's rather big, but if it needs several different software update implementations for various NASses, I guess that can be normal.
Does this tool download the right firmware by itself, or do you have to provide it? I looked at the strings inside, and couldn't find any url. But maybe it contains some encrypted part. In that case it could be nice to sniff it's network activity, as it might access some secret ftp server.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:59 am 

Eureka!

I gave up waiting the box blinking in red for at least 4 days. So, I stopped it, opened the box, used a dust remover spray to clear all the dust from the inside, removed and placed back the memory module and started it up.

Success! It started up rebuilding the RAID array with complete network connectivity and after 12 hours it looks like I have my box working again :)

Mijzelf, thanks so much for all your help!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:00 pm 

Hi everybody....

I try your ideas... but my ix4-100 stay with red light.
I find it on the lan, i ping it but i can't find it with storecenter.
When i try reset, red light go to green light, but i can't find it on the lan.
If you've got an idea...

(Sorry for my Bad English)

See you soon! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:53 am 

Hello everybody,
I received an Storcenter ix4-100 with 3 empty Harddisks and without any Software. I used to start the NAS with an USB Stick the Softwareversions from here. But always the same procedure.
After removing the USB-Stick and reboot, I get the alternating red(3x) / green (3x) sequence and the 3 drive leds solid blue. The result of an CrystalDiskInfo Test is, that the harddisks are ok.

What can I do to get a right working NAS?