Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: HELP IX4-100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:50 pm 

Hi,
First sorry for my poor English, i try to do my best

My iomega storcenter IX4-100 crash.
And a new engenneer trying to repair it make a new format process, but he didn't know that they was on each disk the EXT2 system
So now I,ve 4 new safe disks and a nas wich all the time take a red led blinking.
I've contacted the IOMEGA support team and they told me that I must find a fresh diskimage on another IX4 by cloning one.

But I don't know where i can find one !!

Can you help me?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: HELP IX4-100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:00 pm 

I downloaded the firmware here, and extracted it. According to the scripts in the initrd the box should be able to restore the firmware from an usb stick. I created a package here. Unzip it to an usb stick, plug it in the NAS, and power the NAS up. With some luck it will install the firmware on the disk.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:57 am 

Ok Thanks.

Here what I do after downloaded the speficic zip file.
I've uncompressed it to a directory and I copy the 3 files, app config oem to the usb stick.
I've plug the stick into the NAS on the front panel.
I've power up the nas
I've seen twice the usb stick blinking
At the point each led on the disk side are blue and the power led is red!

I cannot contact the nas on the lan

An idea?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:28 pm 

You are supposed to unzip the whole zip to the stick, including the directories emctools/<something>. The init script checks for the existence of the files emctools/<something>/app and emctools/<something>/oem on the stick.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:48 pm 

I 've followed your last post and miracle all is working fine!

You are my God

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:25 pm 

My hopes were raised when I was directed to this post. I downloaded the modified firmware, copied to a USB drive and powered up the IX4-100 with the drive.

As described, the IX4 powered up, the power light lit red, some fan whirring occurred and then it shutdown. Initially I had two 500GB drives in the unit but then tried with only one drive in the enclosure, a Seagate 500GB drive but the same behaviour both times.

I powered it on again and after some more fan whirring, the power light is flashing red and green and I cannot access the drive with the Storcenter software.

It could be building the drive or it just didn't work. I have no idea since I don't know what the flashing power light means.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:38 pm 

Is the internal disk empty, or does it contain firmware? If it contains firmware, you can try to keep the reset button pressed while powering up the box. Keep the button pressed until there is activity on the USB disk.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:36 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
Is the internal disk empty, or does it contain firmware? If it contains firmware, you can try to keep the reset button pressed while powering up the box. Keep the button pressed until there is activity on the USB disk.

I have had a few iterations of the setup.

1. A drive with firmware on it (probably IX4-200 since that was the drive I cloned). NAS booted up, I think it read the USB drive but I can't say for sure since the USB key did not have an activity light on it. Then the NAS shutdown and when I restarted it it eventually went into the state I described where the power light is flashing red/green.

2. Just now. Formatted a drive in Windows NTFS and tried the same procedure except with a USB key with an actiity light. I can see the USB key being accessed but this time the NAS is staying on, not powering off with both the USB key light on and the power light on. It's been that way for about an hour so far. The blue light is not flashing so I am not sure the NAS is trying to format the drive or what.

UPDATE

I took a drive out that was formatted NTFS after I had put in the NAS with the USB drive. Something must have happened since now the drive shows two partitions, one 0.9TB and the other the balance of space on the drive. But when I put it back in the NAS and ;power it up, it powers up and then shuts down.

Do I need more than one drive to make it go? I don't have another spare drive available.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:32 pm 

I took another look at the initrd script. As far as I can see it should work with a single disk, but the script is not easy to read. And, I do not have your script here. The box has a kernel and initrd in flash, and *that* initrd is responsible for rebuilding the harddisk, using the files from the USB stick.

Do you have any idea which firmware your box had, before it stopped booting?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:46 pm 

Sorry I don't recall what firmware was on the drive when we last used it. It was a couple of years ago. But now it just fires up, the fans whir a bit and then it shuts down. I will see if I can another drive to test it with in case it's fussy about the drives.

I have tried both with a formatted and unformatted drive and it seems the USB ROM wrotes the partitions to the drive but it's not bootable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:35 am 

Yes, so *something* is alive. On the stick is the latest firmware. I wonder if your kernel/initrd is much older, and not compatible. I'll look if I can find older firmware to take apart.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:41 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
Yes, so *something* is alive. On the stick is the latest firmware. I wonder if your kernel/initrd is much older, and not compatible. I'll look if I can find older firmware to take apart.

That would be great but in the interim I will try another drive (I have a 1TB around)

[UPDATE]

I tried a 7200 Seagate 1TB drive and it does the same. Power up, some USB activity, power down and then with the USB drive removed power up and power down again.

I have to get home to check to see what it wrote on the partition if anything.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:17 pm 

I didn't succeed in finding older firmware.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:49 pm 

Thanks for trying. Guess I have a doorstop now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:43 am 

Hi everyone!

Unfortunately my ix4-100 crashed and even worse I am not as lucky as lamiche :( It looks like the unit crashed after I updated to the latest version, namely 2.0.18.23122. I'm unable to start it up by following the steps Mijzelf describes here. Specifically, it looks like the units starts up and reads the USB key but the red light blinks indefinitely.

One good thing is that I have a full backup of my files and an a couple of older firmware version but I do not know how to take it apart an create a new USB key.

If anyone knows how to do that I would really appreciate any help!