General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:15 pm 

My iOmega PX6-300D won't boot up anymore. When I power it up, the NAS freezes on the iOmega logo and after a few seconds the HDD led remains lit. Nothing more happens.

The NAS is mounted with 6 HDD of 2 TB and is configured as RAID 6.

I tried to find it on the network but nothing. I've the impression that the OS won't load anymore.

Could someone help me recovering my NAS and consequently the data stored on it?

Thank you for your help.

Marc

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:06 am 

Have you tired it without disks?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:10 pm 

Hello Mijzelf

Thank you for your reply.
Mijzelf wrote:
Have you tired it without disks?

Yes, I did and the issue is the same, the nas remains blocked on the Iomega logo.
I also tried removing 1 disk at a time (keeping 5 disks in the nas) and the problem is the same. I repeated this for every bay.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:31 pm 

In that case I think your box is dead, somehow. The ix NASses have their OS on harddisk, in flash is only a 'preliminairy OS', which can be used to initialize the disks, and then is never used again. I have no reason to think the px series is different.

You can try to RMA the box, if it's still under warranty. I think the if you can put the disks in a replacement unit, it will work.

If you can't, or need the data quickly, you can connect the disks to a Linux PC. As you used raid6, you'll have to connect at least 4 disks simultaneously. Then you have to assemble the raid array(s)
Code:
mdadm --scan --assemble --run
and find out the logical volumes
Code:
vgscan && vgdisplay

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:10 pm 

Hi Mijzelf,

Thank you very much for your answer.
Unfortunately, the box is out of warranty ... :(
I feared that the box was faulty ...

I was hoping there would be a solution to recover the box by reinjecting a firmawre.

I'm not very familiar with Linux, but I'll try to get by to retrieve files.

Again thank you for your advice.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:10 pm 

Hi mijzelf,

Just one more question, I guess that the Linux pc on which I should connect the HDD should have a raid 6 capable motherboard and it should therefore be configured as raid 6 in order to assemble the array. Or could I connect the HDD without taking care about the raid configuration in the Bios, assuming that Linux will be able to assemble the arrays?

Sorry for those (may be stupid) questions, but I'm a bit noob and inexperienced in that domain :roll:

Marc

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:21 pm 

foxmarco wrote:
I was hoping there would be a solution to recover the box by reinjecting a firmawre.
That might still be possible. The box has at least a bootloader in flash, and probably also a Linux kernel and initramrd. If one of the latter is damaged, it could cause your problems. As long as the bootloader works, it it possible to reflash those. To know if the bootloader works, you'll need to have serial access. You can see if you can find it.

For instance, this is the ix2-200, and the serial port is that 4 pin header.

foxmarco wrote:
I guess that the Linux pc on which I should connect the HDD should have a raid 6 capable motherboard and it should therefore be configured as raid 6 in order to assemble the array?
No. It's Linux software raid. Linux doesn't care how the disks are connected, to be able to assemble the array. You can use any sata port, e-sata, USB to sata convertors, or a combination. It's even possible to connect half of the disks to some other Linux box in the network, but that's a bit out of scope, I guess.
Actually, the controller should not do any raid actions.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:06 pm 

Hi Mijzelf,
Mijzelf wrote:
To know if the bootloader works, you'll need to have serial access. You can see if you can find it.

There is indeed a serial access on the motherboard. I've already ordered a new TTL to USB cable (can't find back my old one) in order to access it via terminal.
I'll come back to you as soon as I get my cable. But do you already know where to find the firmware in case to bootloader works?

Mijzelf wrote:
No. It's Linux software raid. Linux doesn't care how the disks are connected, to be able to assemble the array. You can use any sata port, e-sata, USB to sata convertors, or a combination. It's even possible to connect half of the disks to some other Linux box in the network, but that's a bit out of scope, I guess.
Actually, the controller should not do any raid actions.

After having sent you my question, I googled man mdadm and find out that it was a software RAID. So I already had the answer, but it's good you confirmed it :-)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:16 pm 

foxmarco wrote:
But do you already know where to find the firmware in case to bootloader works?
I think it can be extracted from a firmware update file.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:19 pm 

Hi Mijzelf,

I get my TTL 2 USB cable 8-)
I'm able to establish the terminal connection, the BIOS seems to work properly, POST operations are processed wihout any errors. Memory and all 6 HDD are detected.
I was even able to enter and navigate into the BIOS.

But once the POST operations are finished, nothing more happens: the terminal screen is cleaned up and the cursor stays upper left... :cry:

I fear that the bootloader is dead...

What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:56 am 

BIOS? Surprise.

Can you post the serial bootlog?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:24 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
BIOS? Surprise.

Can you post the serial bootlog?

Hi Mijzelf,

I'm on leave for a couple of days. I'll post the log as soon I'm back at home.

Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:53 pm 

Hi Marc,
Hi Mijzelf,

I have same symptoms with my iomega px6-300d. Iomega logo lights on the display. HDD lamp is lighting permanently. no any ethernet frame from lan1 or lan2 ports.

Marc, what was the next? Have you revive your storage?

thanks,
Alex