General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:27 pm 

Okay so this external disk has been working well so far until now. My operation system is Windows 7. The disk is a "iOmega eGo Encrypt Plus, Model: 31869600":
The led works fine:

This disk, as the name says, is encrypted. So, basically, when you first plugged the two USBs in, you had to open the IOMEGA (I:) 15,8 mb disk that I show here:
Then, when you entered that, you had to install the setup that appears here, and the 32/64-bit installer that was in the folder "install":
You'd end up installing this program:
When executed, you'd get this:
There I would enter the password (that is already set because I set it), and I'd get a "successful inicialization" message, and then a new disk/partition would appear that had around 500 GB. But now that does not appear. Of course, I don't want to lose the data I had in the 500GB disk, and I don't know what to do, does anyone have any idea? I'll be waiting for the answers, and thank you so much!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:35 pm 

Have you looked in disk manager if something happens when you give your decryption key?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:41 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
Have you looked in disk manager if something happens when you give your decryption key?

I opened the Disk Manager, then used the key. Before using the key, there was a "IOMEGA (G:)" disk. The only thing that happened after using the key was that that G: disappeared for like 1 second, and then re-appeared. I suppose the 500 GB disk should have appeared too, but it doesn't. The IOMEGA G: disk is the one that has 15,8 MB and has the setups.

EDIT: I just discovered that truly, this happens. Before using the key, I have:
Image you see the 465 GB (500 aprox) disk is there.

Disk 1
Unknown Not assigned

After using the key (both disks dissapear for 1 second, but then):

Disk 1
Basic Not assigned

So, it does recognize it but it is... not assigned? it seems. Does this mean my data I lost? I do need the data. And how would I "assign" it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:46 am 

I'm not that into Windows. It *can* mean that you only have to assign a disk letter, by rightclicking and choose 'Assign disk letter' or something like that. If that option is not available, it can mean the partition table and/or filesystem is damaged.

In that case I advice you to unencrypt the volume, than use some tool like HDD Raw Copy Tool to create a sector-by-sector copy of the disk to some other >=500GB usb disk. (Make sure you are not copying the wrong way!) When done, disconnect the iOmega and put it in the safe.
Then use TestDisk to analize, and hopefully repair the filesystem/partition table on the copy.

When done, start thinking about backups.