General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 5:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:31 pm 

Hello,
I use a NAS Iomega StorcenterPro 150d (S/N KGAJ110026) which indicates in Event logs that a volume has failed, but I don't know which one, I have four disks. All LED are blue, and NAS is trying to repair something, event logs are doing a loop with following messages: "A volume has failed", "RAID rebuild in progress; please do not shut down" (two times). Disk management shows following configuration: capacity 2134 GB, space available 2134 GB, status Offline or Online (Rebuilding), type striping with parity (RAID 5).
Can you explain me how to detect which volume has failed, how to restore it, and if data can be found somewhere (because RAID 5 should be redundancy configuration)?
Thank you.
Best regards,
MAP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:07 am 

This sounds bad. When it's rebuilding it means all disks are working, else the array would simply be degraded. I can't think of a scenario which can lead to this state, and so I don't know what to recommend.

Somehow the files on the filesystem got lost. There can be a lot of causes for that, including a user fault. As actually wiping that information would take hours, normally it's still there, and theoretically it can be recovered using low-level tools like PhotoRec.
You have a raid5 array, which means the filesystem is distributed over 4 disks. That complicates the matter, as it's necessary to assemble the array before any low-level recovery can be applied.
And it's rebuilding, because of an unknown scenario. If it's actually only rebuilding the old array, it doesn't matter (much). But if it for some reason is building another array with different settings, it's virtually impossible to assemble the original array, which makes it equally virtual impossible to do low level recovery.

You can have a look if assembling the array and running PhotoRec will recover your data. Unless we can find a reason for what happened it's impossible to revert it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:55 am 

Thanks for this analysis. This week-end status has changed to Online with a log saying "RAID rebuild complete !" but there is still no data visible, so I am going to try a recovery.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:46 pm 

Recovery is not possible because there are 4 disks in RAID configuration.
Do you know a software to recover RAID partitions?

(I tried to contact Iomega, EMC, Dell, Lenovo, but nobody can provide me support because they don't know th serial number!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:47 pm 

MAP wrote:
Recovery is not possible because there are 4 disks in RAID configuration.
What do you mean with that? Can't the array be assembled?
Quote:
Do you know a software to recover RAID partitions?
Any Linux system should be able to assemble the array. And then you can use any low-level recover tool.
Quote:
(I tried to contact Iomega, EMC, Dell, Lenovo, but nobody can provide me support because they don't know th serial number!)
The serial number is on the box, isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:12 pm 

Does assemble the array mean gather four disks into one? How is that possible? Is there a software? Or is it possible via Iomega web management page?
Thank you.

About the S/N, yes it is in on the box, but what I wanted to say is that I gave it to them but as it is not in their database they cannot support me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:02 pm 

MAP wrote:
Does assemble the array mean gather four disks into one? How is that possible?
That's basically what raid does. Creating a virtual disk spanning one or physical (or also virtual) disks/partitions.

Fortunately almost all consumer NAS boxes use Linux software raid, and for that reason you can assemble the array on any Linux system. Provided the raid headers are intact.