General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:16 pm 

No matter !

Internet is a place were information is duplicated everywhere !
Not possible to loose something, there is always a guy who has a copy :lol:

Mijzelf wrote:
I'm ashamed to see that I never did anything with the images autourdupc kindly gave to me. (Except having a look at the contents).

It's uploading now here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:47 am 

I recieved a storecenter ix2 from someone but both hardrives had failed. I have 2 good drives but am unable to get this thing working. just flashing blue light. I've done alot of reading up on here but i'm not that privy in linux. i know its shameful but im a windows slave. i was wondering if someone had a full image of the drive that i could slap on my drives to get this thing working. any advice is appreciated. and yes you can make fun of me for not knowing linux.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:07 pm 

crispyominus wrote:
I recieved a storecenter ix2 from someone but both hardrives had failed. I have 2 good drives but am unable to get this thing working. just flashing blue light. I've done alot of reading up on here but i'm not that privy in linux. i know its shameful but im a windows slave. i was wondering if someone had a full image of the drive that i could slap on my drives to get this thing working. any advice is appreciated. and yes you can make fun of me for not knowing linux.

Hi,

First of all, I need to know if your device is an IX2 or not. The images are not the same.
Please, confirm.

Laurent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:32 pm 

Its a storcenter ix2. It had 2 500gb drives in it but the thing got so hot it burned both em up. Ive modified the case and added a 80mm fan to the front to suck out the hot air. Just need a disk image to load on the new drives I got.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:36 pm 

New here. I have a question, I downloaded the image file that Mijzelf uploaded and I don't know exactly how you guys restored them to the HDD, I tried Clonezilla to no avail. Are you guys manually writing the images to the disk via dd because Clonezilla can't pick up an image from my USB drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Don't be afraid to use Linux terms as I'm okay with using Linux although not entirely a pro, but not bad either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:09 pm 

sabbycon wrote:
New here. I have a question, I downloaded the image file that Mijzelf uploaded and I don't know exactly how you guys restored them to the HDD, I tried Clonezilla to no avail. Are you guys manually writing the images to the disk via dd because Clonezilla can't pick up an image from my USB drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Don't be afraid to use Linux terms as I'm okay with using Linux although not entirely a pro, but not bad either.

Look at your inbox. I pm you !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:50 pm 

Hi there!

I find myself in the same boat as many other on this forum. Both drives in my iomega storcenter nhdd2m (1tb 2 drive, non ix2) died with the click of death and no response from ioMega.

Is there a step by step get the OS partions back on the drives? I too am a windoze slave and not too Linux savy but I am not afraid to play with penguins!

I already have two new Baracudas installed in unit but I only get the blinking blue light special.

Thanks,
Hummedan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:37 pm 

The Image can only be restored to an existing partition on the HDD. To do this you first have to boot into Linux and create the 1st partition on the HDD. Once created you can boot into Clonezilla and restore the partition image to the 1st partition on the HDD. This will write all the necissary files for the NAS OS.... I did all of this and I still get the blinking light of failure!

I pretty much gave up on the idea of restoring my Storecenter back to life because I can't get it to boot from the 1st partition even after recreating it exactly as it needs to be and marking it with the correct partition flags.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:29 pm 

sabbycon wrote:
The Image can only be restored to an existing partition on the HDD. To do this you first have to boot into Linux and create the 1st partition on the HDD..

Do I just make a standard Linux boot disk in order to create the partition?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:34 pm 

Yes, you can use any flavor of linux to do this process. I used Knopix but anything will technically work.

I think you can get away with using gparted but I used fdisk personally, still I didn't get it working anyways.

I hope you have better luck than me!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:06 am 

OK so i have been going over the wiki and previous posts but I have some questions.

It looks like I have to partition each hard drive into 3 different partitions in linux but I am not sure on the size and type of the 3 partitions. The wiki shows it in blocks not Gb and the types for each doesnt match all the options I am getting in Gpart in Ununtu (wiki says type Swap, usbfs, and ext3... only swap and ext3 are available). I am running a LinuxLive USB installation to access and format the drives using gparted.

The previous posts say to flag the partitons as RAID. Do I do this to all 3 partitions?

Also, I have the storecenter non ix2 files extracted and I know they belong on the first partition but do all the files go directly on the root or do they go in an iomega directory.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. As i stated earlier, I am not very experienced in Linux but I do understand windows very well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:34 pm 

As I understand it you only need to get the 1st partition on the 1st HDD.

Also, you need to get Clonezilla. The IOmega folder only contains the partition image and nothing else, Clonezilla is what images that to the drive.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:12 pm 

sabbycon wrote:
As I understand it you only need to get the 1st partition on the 1st HDD.

Also, you need to get Clonezilla. The IOmega folder only contains the partition image and nothing else, Clonezilla is what images that to the drive.

What size and type should I make the the partition?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:46 pm 

Well thanks to the help of autourdupc, my Storcenter is up and running again and has actually been updated to a 1.5 TB Raid 1 array instead of a 500mb Raid 1 array.

I think my problem actually came from I never changed the factory drive RAID setting from 0 to 1. I went for capacity over redundancy/safe backup. When the first drive failed, the second was lost and became corrupt. Now with Raid 1 and larger dives, they are mirrors and solid backups.

Just to the answer to the question I posted above as to the correct partition sizes for the original 500mb drives, they are:

Dispositivo Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 8225279 4112639+ fd Autorilevamento raid di Linux
/dev/sdb2 8225280 9253439 514080 fd Autorilevamento raid di Linux
/dev/sdb3 9253440 976768064 483757312+ fd Autorilevamento raid di Linux

This is the fdisk listing. Very important about partion 1 starting at sector 1. This is done on the advanced settings in fdisk.

Once created, just use Clonezilla image on partition 1 on both disks re-install them in the NAS enclosure and let it boot up then sign into the admin settings and tell it to format to the scheme you would like. They will format out and go online and you are back in business.

Thanks again to autourdupc for all the help. You Rock!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:20 am 

How do I restore the image with clonezilla to the made partition on the IX2 1TB?
I got the file from Mijzelf, but Clonezilla livecd doesn't seem to recognize it as and saved image

Who can give me a step by step manual?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next