Storcenter Network - 1T (2x500 Go)

Mijzelf

Re: Storcenter Network - 1T (2x500 Go)

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:22 pm

Does it get an IP address from your DHCP server, or has it a static IP address?
- If it gets a DHCP address, Linux is definititely booted. A static address could be just the bootloader.
- If the address is static, is it in you network range?
---- If not, you can't access it on it's IP address, so http://ip-address is bound to fail. You'll need to change your computers address to continue.
---- If it is, are you sure no other devices share that address?
- If it has a static address, try a portscan to find out if any port is open.
---- If not, probably Linux didn't boot.

If you have determined that Linux has booted, get the disk out, and have a look in /var/logs. There could be information in the logfiles why the webserver didn't start.

autourdupc

Post by autourdupc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:28 am

Hi all,

Just a question : Is there a difference between StoreCenter 1TB(2x500) and StoreCenter IX2 ?
Is is the same OS ?
Can I take a copy of a disk image of IX2 and run on StoreCenter 1TB ?
I have a StoreCenter 1TB (2 x 500) with new formated hard drives. Wich image should I use ?

Regards,
Laurent.

New details : I found a file on one of the olds crashed harddrives. The firmware is 1.1.17.34772
The crashed hard drive has 2 partitions. See what fdisk show :

Périphérique...Amorce....Début..................Fin................Blocs........ Id......... Système
/dev/sdb1..........................1..........2040254...........1020127......... 83......... Linux
/dev/sdb2................2040255.......976768064........487363905......... 83......... Linux

Note that the crash has deleted most of the files... Only few files on this partition, and some on the second, but at last no data !

Maybe someone could help me restoring another disk (with its own image of boot partition) so I can make my StorCenter run again !

autourdupc

Post by autourdupc » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:06 am

Mijzelf wrote:Does it get an IP address from your DHCP server, or has it a static IP address?
- If it gets a DHCP address, Linux is definititely booted. A static address could be just the bootloader.
- If the address is static, is it in you network range?
---- If not, you can't access it on it's IP address, so http://ip-address is bound to fail. You'll need to change your computers address to continue.
---- If it is, are you sure no other devices share that address?
- If it has a static address, try a portscan to find out if any port is open.
---- If not, probably Linux didn't boot.

If you have determined that Linux has booted, get the disk out, and have a look in /var/logs. There could be information in the logfiles why the webserver didn't start.
DHCP --> It gets a DHCP Address
Port scan --> Nothing interresting... No open port
Looking in /var/logs --> Nothing. No log

--> My idea is that the firmware do not match the HDD structure so no boot is possible...
How can I check the firmware version ? (I think it is not possible).

Do you have a dd or partimage backup of the boot sector and first partition ?
Note also that the NAS is a StorCenter Network 1 TB (2x500 GB).

The original issue was a software crash with a blue Led fashing and HDD data corrupted and not readable.
I have the 2 "broken" HDD totally wipe and newly formated

Thanks you very much for your help.

autourdupc

Storcenter Network - 1T (2x500 Go) - New tests

Post by autourdupc » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:08 pm

I got at work a StorCenter IX2 1TB Raid (1 x 1TB) - V2.0.15.43099.

I open it and took the first HDD (the one connected to SATA1.)
Using Linux Fedora, I made a dd copy of the first partition (seen as SDB1 - EXT2), and of the MBR.
(thoses files are available if needed - My server is down today for download).
I also made an Acronix backup of this partition, using the sector by sector copy (also available).
After all the process, I put again the HDD into the IX2 and it starts again !

Then I took one of the 500 GB HDD needed for my defective StorCenter Network and using dd I restored the first partition, and with Gparted put the flag "RAID" to the partition already marked as "Boot".

I put this disk into the defective StorCenter and ... Nothing better. Only the blue Led flashing.
I also tested afetr connecting the second blank HDD... Not better !

HDD are spinning, without any access except few seconds after power up the StorCenter (seem to have 3 access then nothing).

Only one thing is positive : the StorCenter took a DHCP address - I tried to Lanspy its IP address for all TCP / UDP ports --> Nothing is open.

Any idea ?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:57 pm

Just a question : Is there a difference between StoreCenter 1TB(2x500) and StoreCenter IX2 ?
Is is the same OS ?
I don't know. You have got both of them, at the moment, so try to identify the CPU.
AFAIK all Iomega NASses run a Debian derivate, but the kernel is in most cases not interchangeable.
DHCP --> It gets a DHCP Address
Until this morning I would have seen this as an evidence that Linux has booted, but this thread caused me to read this tutorial, where is stated that uBoot also can run a DHCP client.
Do you have a dd or partimage backup of the boot sector and first partition ?
No.
...story of disk copying...
Do you know if the kernel is on disk, or in flash?

autourdupc

Post by autourdupc » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi,
Do you know if the kernel is on disk, or in flash?
Seem that firmware is on flash then try to load linux that is is on disk !

I have just called IOMEGA support : IX2 is not same firmware as StorCenter Network (not ix2), so this is why boot partition coming from IX2 can't be used for non IX2 !!! (and of course, I have tested and it do not work).

So I'm looking for boot partition from StorCenter Network non ix2.

Laurent.

autourdupc

Storcenter Network - 1T (2x500 Go) not IX2 --> Red led flash

Post by autourdupc » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi,

--> Working partially !

Found a guy on Internet that provide me a good image for this device.
I did everything and now I have access to the device and can enter into the settings.

I put the second blank HDD and enter into the main page.

When I try to format the HDD, red led is now flashing and no available disk space is available.

Need more help !

Thanks in advance.
Laurent.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:16 pm

Most dual disk systems have the OS on both disks. So maybe you should install your image also on the second disk, before inserting it.

autourdupc

Re: Storcenter Network - 1T (2x500 Go) Not IX2

Post by autourdupc » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Mijzelf wrote:Most dual disk systems have the OS on both disks. So maybe you should install your image also on the second disk, before inserting it.
You are right !
It runs now !
Thank you so much for the help !

Are you aware of how getting root access and/or ssh on StorCenter 1TB Not IX2 ?

Laurent.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:40 pm

*Maybe* you can open ssh via http://<ip-of-nas>/diagnostics.html

Would you mind to share your image? I can put it with the other Iomega images here.

autourdupc

Post by autourdupc » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:13 am

Mijzelf wrote:*Maybe* you can open ssh via http://<ip-of-nas>/diagnostics.html
No, I can't. This url do not exists...
Mijzelf wrote:*Would you mind to share your image? I can put it with the other Iomega images here.
Please, send to me your mail in private so I can give you a link from where to download.
Note also that I will do a tuto on it specially for this model of StorCenter.

Laurent.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:57 pm

The box doesn't have ssh. There is a telnetd server, but I can't figure out how it should be started. Strangely enough, there is a cgi-script which has the code to stop it, so I'd expect some code to start it too.

matrix81200

Post by matrix81200 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi All,

I have managed to get my self in this situation as well.. Well, both HDD's failed at the same time...

is there any one out there who has a full step by step>? or a good image of the HDD??

I ahve tried the gparted method, and extracting the bz2 to partition 1.. but still get jsut a flashing blue light...

Help is greatfully recieved!!

Joel

autourdupc

Post by autourdupc » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Hi,

Go to your private inbox...

Laurent

matrix81200 wrote:Hi All,

I have managed to get my self in this situation as well.. Well, both HDD's failed at the same time...

is there any one out there who has a full step by step>? or a good image of the HDD??

I ahve tried the gparted method, and extracting the bz2 to partition 1.. but still get jsut a flashing blue light...

Help is greatfully recieved!!

Joel

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm ashamed to see that I never did anything with the images autourdupc kindly gave to me. (Except having a look at the contents).

It's uploading now here.