General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:36 pm 

hi, new to this forum.

I got a Iomega 1T (not ix2) running for some years and suddenly it stopped responding. I can ping its address but I cannot mount it (I'm using Linux, btw). Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:19 am 

ncfc wrote:
hi, new to this forum.

I got a Iomega 1T (not ix2) running for some years and suddenly it stopped responding. I can ping its address but I cannot mount it (I'm using Linux, btw). Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

Did you shutdown and restart it ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:59 pm 

Thanks for the reply, autourdupc.

I shutdown the whole system one day and on the following day when I restart the system, the drives were not working any more. I tried several times to restart the Storcenter but with not avail. I can ping the StorCenter but I cannot make the Storcenter home page to respond.

Regards,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 am 

Both drives refuse to spin up? In that case I'd have a look at the power supply. Can you measure the output voltage? (And look at the power supply itself what it should be)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:28 pm 

I assume that since you can ping the Storcenter it is powering up. What status lights are you gettng on the front of the unit (blinking blue, blinking red, solid red...).

If you put your ear to it, can you hear the drives spin up when you turn it on? When you first boot it up the drives will spin up at different times. There is about a 5-10 second delay between the spin up of the first drive to the second drive.

Do you know what your RAID setting is/was on the Storcenter? (RAID 0,1,5)?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:20 am 

Thanks Mijzelf and hummedan.

to Mijzelf: I could not measure the power supply voltage but I believe it's OK, since I could ping the device successfully.

to hummedan: I have the StorCenter in RAID1. Initially (a couple of days ago, when it all started), the light was a solid blue and I could hear both drives perfectly. Now, there is only a blinking blue light and I'm not sure if the second drive spins up. I am no longer able to ping the device.

Regards,

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:33 pm 

ncfc wrote:
I could not measure the power supply voltage but I believe it's OK, since I could ping the device successfully.

That might not be justified, since the disks needs much more voltage (and current) than the processor board. Although I do not know what voltage the network port needs.
According to the Wiki, the box boots from flash, so it's perfectly possible that the box reaches a pingable state without a disk being able to spin up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:15 pm 

Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks, Mijzelf.

I know that at least one of the drives spins up; I'm not sure about the other one, though.

Regards,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:34 pm 

Well if one drive is spinning up for sure, one thing you can try is open the enclosure and swap the power connections on the hard drives. This will help you determine if the problem is with the drive or the supply.

If the dead drive spins up after swap and the other drive that was working no longer spins up then you have a power supply issue.

If the original drive that was working spins up on the other power supply then you have a dead drive.

If you were in RAID1, the array should rebuild itself after you change the drive.

Is the cooling fan spinning up?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:28 pm 

Thanks, hummedan.

OK. I changed the power connections on the hard drives because one of the drives was not spinning up and found out that I had a dead drive. The cooling fan is spinning up as I turn on the device. I'm going to insert a new drive and let you know what happens.

Regards.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:24 pm 

Sounds like a good plan. You will have to set up the 3 Linux partitions on the new drive prior to putting it into your Storcenter or else it will not recognize it. See my posts on page 3 for the partition sizes.

Once partitioned and installed, the original operating RAID1 drive should rebuild onto the new drive in theory.

I had a drive die in my Storcenter too several months back and had to go through the same thing you are doing now.

My problem was a bit worse as I had mine running RAID0 and when one drive dies in the array, the data on the other drive is lost too. I put in 2 - 1.5tb drives and set them to RAID1 so now I have a much bigger sandbox for backups.

Hope you have a happy ending too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:02 pm 

Thanks, hummedan.

just two questions before I continue:
- I've extracted the files from the 7zip archive and there's a file called "sdb1.dd-img.aa" which I suppose is the image file. How do I install this image into the drive?
- do I have to install the image into both drives or only into the new drive?

Best regards

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:25 am 

Only on the new drive... Don't do anything on the working drive or you will lose your data.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:23 pm 

autourdupc wrote:
Only on the new drive... Don't do anything on the working drive or you will lose your data.

Yes what autourdupc said X2!

You use Clonezilla to put the image on the partition.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:58 pm 

Thanks, autourdupc and hummedan.

That's great, but how does one put the image on the new drive?

Best regards.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next