px6-300d: Need Help to access a volume

KathaMaraan

px6-300d: Need Help to access a volume

Post by KathaMaraan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi, my name is Jens from Germany. I have a problem with a px6-300d. The px6 was equipped with a RAID5 - 6 x 3 TB WD Green (before the crash). It contains archive data approx. 11TB. Within 2 hrs. 2 HD failed so the RAID5 was degraded. The first thing I did was to copy all 6 HD Green to new WD RED (NASWare) with the same size and geometrie. One of the six original disks showed bad blocks (clonezilla failed). Next step: I copy the failed disk with ddrescue. This procedure succeeded but 373 kB (several blocks) of data was lost due to hardware failure.

With all 6 disks copied, I started the RAID rebuild on the px6 (in the hidden .../diagnostics.html page). The rebuild was also successful...but: :shock:

The RAID5 Pool was restored. The pool contained only one volume called "shares" with maximum capacity (approx. 13,5 TB). This volume is disappeared!!!. The corresponding Shares like "Video", "Backups" etc. are also restored and are visible to the network, but they are empty.

I opened a SSH to the system and checked a file called sohoVolumes.xml. The content of the file was corrupt because the xml-Tags are not correctly ended. This may be the error, why the volume does not correctly mount. Maybe the file is a victim of the bad blocks on the failed disk :?

Can anyone of you help me to recover the nested filesystem? POOL -> VOLUME -> SHARES

Thanks a lot in advance
Jens.

seidler2547

Re: px6-300d: Need Help to access a volume

Post by seidler2547 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:45 am

Can you SSH into the device and give us the output of df -h and mount, cat /proc/mdstat and pvdisplay -m? I recently played with the whole pool/volume stuff on my EZMedia because I wanted to use a USB drive as storage extension, and I found it very tricky to get the firmware to recognize it all correctly, although it did work in the end.

Stefan

edwardmp

Post by edwardmp » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:23 am

I have exactly the same problem on my px4-300d. Although my disks are in working order, the NAS fails to "recognize" the data. It doesn't mount the drives.
I wonder what "Reset and reload data from drives." in /diagnostics.html does?

ntech

Post by ntech » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Hello,
I have a similar Problem on a Px6-300d. the box shows the correct volume of data (1.2 TB out of 10.86 TB) under the name others but I can not access it. all shares with correct names are there but they are empty. Any help to restore the corrupted file-system? I have no experience in Linux. contacting Lenovo does not help. shall the method described with the EZMedia-recovery-4.0.2.9960 work for this Server?

Many thanks in advance.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:54 am

ntech wrote:Shall the method described with the EZMedia-recovery-4.0.2.9960 work for this Server?
Do you mean the recovery with some file on some USB stick? Might work, but you'll need another file. But restoring the firmware this way will destroy your data!

ntech

Post by ntech » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks Mijzelf for answer. Yes I meant the recovery with some file on some USB stick, I,ve read some posts here where this method was used and some were able to recover the whole filesystem and shares , I suggest they recovered the data as well?. Today I found a recovery file for IX4-200d ix4-200d-recovery-2.1.42.18967, I wonder if this will work for px6-300d. for me recovering the data is most important. to be clear about what happened to my NAS:

1-it experienced a hard drive failure (that what was reported by the box) and LEDs were blinking red on the front of the Box. drive 4 was not accessible first and then box reported that it failed and must be replaced. of course data were not accessible anymore.
2-contacted Lenovo (dump file was sent), they suggested replacing the drive with a new one and claimed that system has RAID1(analysis of dump) and so data will be restored when a new drive is mounted. they advised a firmware update as well (to resolve connectivity problems with the box). in fact the store manager shows the choice "none" under protection in drive management so I was suspicious about that the system has RAID1.
3-after replacing drive 4 and restarting no data was restored. the system shows zero data on the drives. one LED (warning ) was still blinking red. I updated the firmware into 4.0.2.9960, after that update connectivity problem was resolved. I returned the drive 4 into the box and to my surprise it was not recognized as faulty! the system recognized it as healthy, the previous amount of data was shown on the front side of the box and within the system there was 1.2 TB allocated under name "others", I can not access these data. even previous shares were restored but were empty.

I tried to access files on drive 4 using usb connection and some programs that allow to read data on Linux-based file system but nothing was found , some of these programs reported corrupted file system. I tried to use Ubuntu live CD with the drive connected via usb, however Ubuntu did not see anything (I guess RAID is a problem). can anyone help me retrieve the data and filesystem ? Lenovo service is useless and waste of time. this user had a similar problem and was able to retrieve file system viewtopic.php?f=279&t=8567 .
Many thanks

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:22 am

ntech wrote:Yes I meant the recovery with some file on some USB stick, I,ve read some posts here where this method was used and some were able to recover the whole filesystem and shares , I suggest they recovered the data as well?
Unless I'm very mistaken, using the recovery stick will recover (or upgrade) the firmware, not the data. The scripts I studied treat the disks as new and empty, and create new, empty, data partitions.
So unless the px6 series work totally different, stay away from the recovery sticks until you've got your data.
ntech wrote:Today I found a recovery file for IX4-200d ix4-200d-recovery-2.1.42.18967, I wonder if this will work for px6-300d.
No. The recovery file actually contains the complete firmware (kernel, userland), which will be written to disk/flashed in rom. The ix4 series are based on a Marvel Armada processor, while the px6 has an Intel Atom. So those are *not* compatible.
this user had a similar problem and was able to retrieve file system viewtopic.php?f=279&t=8567 .
Yes, unfortunately he doesn't tell how. But I suppose he either assembled the data partition outside the box (which is easier with a single disk system), or he used an ssh shell.

I suppose your data is still there, but only inaccessible due to wrong credentials. Can you start an ssh daemon at http://[your Box IP Addres]]/manager/diagnostics.html?

ntech

Post by ntech » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Mijzelf Thanks again for advice. Yes I can enable SSh form manager but have no idea what to do afterwards. how to connect the server with my laptop? (via lan cable)... in fact I found a lot of scripts online but for me is like looking into unknown language ... I can use live cd Ubuntu but what I should do then? I do not know where to write those commands (does Ubuntu has a command prompt as windows...).. many thanks for answers and help I was about to destroy may data using the usb recovery ...

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:35 pm

When you have enabled ssh, you can login on the box using PuTTY, username root password soho<your-admin-password> or maybe a password you could specify in the diagnostics screen.
If you have succeeded that, come back.

ntech

Post by ntech » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:39 pm

yes, I can log in using putty.exe
the results is a black screen with cursor : root@<NAS-name>:/#

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Good.

I expect your data in the folder /mnt/pools/A/A0. Can you post the output of

Code: Select all

ls -l /mnt/pools/A/A0/

ntech

Post by ntech » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:04 pm

yes that is right, I,ve already google a bit and searched all folders , the data are there
Great , now how I can transfer all these 1.2 TB into another device

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:07 pm

How is it there? Are your old shares in /mnt/pools/A/A0/ or is everything in /mnt/pools/A/A0/others/ ?

ntech

Post by ntech » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:12 pm

the result of your command is

drwxrwx--- 8 nobody users 139 may 29 16:42 Labor
drwxrwxrwx nobody users 6 Jul 12 20:18 data

the data I need are within the volume Labor

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:16 pm

So that share 'others' is not even there? 'Labor' is not visible as share?