px6-300d: Need Help to access a volume

ntech

Re: px6-300d: Need Help to access a volume

Post by ntech » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:22 pm

under A0 and after typing dir command there is two results

Labor data

Labor is also the name of the lost share that contain all the old folder structure and all the data I lost.
data is just an empty share that I created recently and is empty.

(in fact I am not sure here weather Labor is the share or the volume name, because it also coincides with the current only volume defined on the storage pool named: Labor)

ntech

Post by ntech » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:26 pm

no Labor is not visible. in fact I am suspicious about weather Labor which I found under A0 is the lost share or the name of a volume, because the name of the only volume defined on the current storage pool is named Labor (when the problem happened even volume was lost, so I defined the volume with similar name to the old lost one).
however applying cd Labor results in the same folder structure that have existed before on the lost share... I am confused now

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:27 pm

So 'data' is a new, accessible share? In that case you can move 'Labor' in 'data'

Code: Select all

cd  /mnt/pools/A/A0/
mv Labor data/

ntech

Post by ntech » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:32 pm

yes data is accessible, I want first to try moving a small folder from Labor into data (i.e. a folder that is under Labor into data) should I write this as

mv Labor/folder data/ ?

just to test it before I move all that folder, I really can not believe that I can see my data again

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:34 pm

ntech wrote:I want first to try moving a small folder from Labor into data (i.e. a folder that is under Labor into data) should I write this as

mv Labor/folder data/ ?
Yes.

ntech

Post by ntech » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Wow this like magic, I have retrieved all my data now ... I really do not know how to thank you .. but now the store manager seems to be stucked and when I try to view driver management it just indicates that is processing , writing to cache, and volume indicator above indicates zero volume but data are there and is accessible now from windows, by the way should I close the ssh session before I access data bz windows?

ntech

Post by ntech » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:57 pm

unfortunately it happened once again , once I tried to access data from my computer the server went inaccessible again, the ip address disappeared from front panel , even from Putty is no more accessible.. no idea

ntech

Post by ntech » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:00 pm

correction: the server and data are accessible only from Putty

I restarted it again

but why the box do not show an IP address anymore and no more accessible from windows ...no idea , when I open the store manager it shows zero volume and trying to open the share it stucks again

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:37 am

ntech wrote:I have retrieved all my data now ... but now the store manager seems to be stucked and when I try to view driver management it just indicates that is processing , writing to cache, and volume indicator above indicates zero volume but data are there and is accessible now from windows
I suppose the firmware is damaged, or some internal databases. If you have retreived your data (double-check!) you can try a factory reset. If that doesn't work, you'll need a firmware recovery. I think I can create the recovery file for you.

ntech

Post by ntech » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:52 pm

I also think that there is something corrupted:

1 either the firmware or
2 the drive number 4 who was reported to have failed (it functioned after I updated the firmware) is still having corrupted areas
3 accessing the data from windows system (i.e. opening shares from windows explorer) is causing the problem

in fact after the box was stucked last time I was able to access the data from Putty.exe (after I closed Putty and reopened it). later on (after c.a. 1 hour) the box front panel returned to normal (the LED which was "shivering" blue -not blinking- was steadily blue) and the box shows the IP address and the correct data volume . I stopped to access data from windows explorer. instead I use Filezilla to access the data (more convenient than Putty), I use IP address, root as user, soho+adminstrator_pass as password, and port 22 (of course ssh access is already enabled). Currently I am transferring the gigantic 1.2 TB into 3TB mybook WD storage in preparation to fix the box. I will replace the drive 4 which once failed by the new one sent to me from Lenovo. and try reset to factory settings (does this format the all existing storage? i.e. the 6X2TB HDs? i.e. how to format such a Server?) and I will see what I can do. I,ll be thankful if you can prepare a recovery file for me , after finishing transferring the data and replacing HD no4 I want to reset everything , My guess is that some data were corrupted upon the failure and when you try to access from windows this was causing the device to stuck somehow.. Linux/Windows incompatibility...no idea.. but is there any program that can check the storage like in windows (checkdisk?) sorry so many questions....

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:41 am

So your box is instable when using Samba ('Windows shares'), but stable using scp? (Scp is a sort of 'ftp over 'ssh')? Strange. For the filesystem it should not matter. Unless.
For an Arm Linux box the throughput on Samba is in most cases CPU limited, and SCP is even slower. The reason that SCP is slower is that it uses encryption, which is hard work for the CPU.
I'm not sure about an Atom. I'd guess for Samba the network is limiting (giving 100~120 MB/sec), but maybe SCP is also slower on an Atom. In that case there might be an hardware problem in a disk (disk 4?) triggered by high demand.
try reset to factory settings (does this format the all existing storage?
I'm not sure. The firmware contains a compressed clean copy of the firmware configuration (/etc). I *think* a factory reset will just exchange /etc by a fresh one, leaving all data intact. For 'full recovery' the recovery stick is intended.
i.e. how to format such a Server?)
No option in the webinterface?
Linux/Windows incompatibility
Unlikely. The communication between Linux and Windows is using a strict protocol, Samba, which 'anonymizes' the OS on the server and client.
but is there any program that can check the storage like in windows (checkdisk?) sorry so many questions....
Yes, there is. It's called fsck. Problem is that you need a different version for each type of filesystem, and there are *many* filesystems possible in Linux. Your data partition might be ext3, ext4, xfs or btrfs. Maybe even another, but that is less usual. In most cases you'll need to unmount the filesystem before checking, and that might be a non-trivial task if there are daemons with open files on the data partition.
I,ll be thankful if you can prepare a recovery file for me
OK, I'll give it a go.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:44 pm

ntech

Post by ntech » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 pm

So your box is instable when using Samba ('Windows shares'), but stable using scp? (Scp is a sort of 'ftp over 'ssh')?
It looks like that. it is really strange why the box stucks when trying to access the share from windows explorer but not through Filezilla, which through it I was able to transfer all 1.2 TB at a rate of 60GB/hour! (nearly a USB2.0 connection speed ) now all my data are stored on the other device ... (activated protocols: only windows file sharing, available FTP(off),NFS(off),rsync(off),SNMP(off), TFTP(off),WebDAV file sharing (off), windows DFS(off). in fact I am not that experienced one with networking so do not have much idea about all these stuff except for FTP.. ). You are right about slow access into files and that was weird for me even before the problem have happened. there was already problems opening of bitmap files stored on the server (we store mainly high speed images that has an average size of 700-1000 kB). sometimes it requires some 5 min to open one image, sometimes it was fast or normal...no idea
No option in the webinterface?
unfortunately not, you can only update firmware .. there nothing like format, setup, (just up to my info, because the page that enables the SSH i.e. manager\diagnostics.html is not directly accessible from the manager itself one should type it manually in the web address).

you'll need to unmount the filesystem before checking, and that might be a non-trivial task if there are daemons with open files on the data partition.
in fact I am totally ignorant about this (what does "unmount the filesystem" mean...)

px4px6-4.0.4.14600-recovery.zip
thanks about that so I will just 1-turn off the box 2-insert the USB with the content of USB 3-restart and press reset button until USB has activity 4-let it run until it finish and then shut down and unplug the USB and resart the box?

ntech

Post by ntech » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:53 pm

Update: according to Lenovo Service there is a function called factory reset and there exist a possibility to erase all existing data and that will format the device!! however I suppose that this will be the same as pressing the reset button for 4 seconds ..., he recommend to update the box into the last version which I already has... unfortunately answers from Lenovo service are rather like automated responses from a predefined list of answers and not an expert analysis of the questions. Practically the service ,unless your problem is solved by a software update, or comes from lack of use of the store manager, is close to useless...

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:51 am

ntech wrote:so I will just 1-turn off the box 2-insert the USB with the content of USB 3-restart and press reset button until USB has activity 4-let it run until it finish and then shut down and unplug the USB and resart the box?
Guess so. The initrd script clearly checks if a reset button is pressed in some stage of the bootprocess. But further I haven't ever recovered (or even seen) a px6.
according to Lenovo Service there is a function called factory reset
Many embedded devices do a factory reset when the reset button is pressed during boot. You could first try it without usb stick.