General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:52 pm 

Hi all.

I imagine the above question has been asked before but my search did not help with my query so here goes.

I have a Promise SmartStor NS4300N. I had installed a few HDDs in it and have now decided that I could use one of them as an external drive for other purposes. I took the HDD out of the NAs and have connected it up to my PC using a USB cable in order to format the drive to NTFS but unfortunately the Windows 7 PC won't allow me to use it. It does recognize that it is a HDD but when I right click to format but states that there is not drive there.

After a little research I had read that you need to strip the drive of RAID 0 so I placed it back into the NAs, booted up and returned to the software. I 'deleted' the drive hoping that would allow me to use the drive in Windows but unfortunately still getting the same message.

Does anyone know how I can go about deleting all trace of RAID 0 so I can format to NTFS, or is there some software available that will allow me to do this. I would really like to use this drive as an External drive rather than in the NAS but it now seems locked.

Thanks,
Vega.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:29 am 

Your question is wrong, raid0 and ntfs are not related, not conflicting properties of some block device. It is perfectly possible to have an ntfs formatted raid0 array.

Your actual problem is that the raid array is not recognized by Windows. To solve this you'll have to go to 'Disk management', which is a part of 'System management' in the Configuration panel. Locate your disk, and you'll see it has 1 disk-filling unrecognized partititon. Delete it, and create a new one. Now you can format it the way you want.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:34 pm 

Thanks for that. I have accessed Disk management but this is what I see:

There are no menu options to delete or format the drive for Disk 2, which is the former RAID 0 drive I want to format.

Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:08 am 

I'm afraid either your USB-Sata convertor, or your disk is defective. Did you power the disk?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:38 am 

Thanks for that.

Would appear to be that the drive is dead, but that's the second drive to come out of that NS4300N in a sorry state.

Cheers.