General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:23 am 

I have a Seagate Central device with 2TB space allocation. I have set up incremental backup to run and that is supposed to backup a set of directories not more than 500Gb. Yet the Central drive is full. On further investigation, I have found that there are 23,000 (yes 23 thousand) files starting with bootstrapdb. This looks like some sort of database file that never gets itself deleted. These files are taking up over 1Tb of space. I had this issue previously and had to delete all my backups and start fresh but it looks like this issue is not going away very fast. These files that are created are done every half an hour so definitely points to some sort of recurring job that kicks in and creates this file.

Has anyone seen this issue before and resolved it or any suggestion of what to do with bootstrapdb.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:20 am 

I had this same problem when I first played with a NAS box. I learned real fast that incremental backups are a lot of maintenance. Meaning, it's not automatic by the system. To go into more detail, what I'm getting at is YOU must go in and delete 'older' files before the drive fills up with all those incremental backup files.
So, you state that you have 500gb to backup. This means you will get maybe 1 full backup and maybe 2 good incrementals before having problems with that 2tb drive in that NAS.
How often are you doing incrementals? Daily, weekly? Daily will be more work keeping up with the maintenance. Weekly, not so much and might be manageable.
Get in there and learn all you can about how that Central device works. I will bet you will find that it is time to upgrade to something more useful. I did. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:16 pm 

Thanks for your input. I currently do daily incremental backups and foolishly thought that incremental will only kick in when I make changes rather than backing up the entire device all over again. I see your point around deleting old files but somehow don't feel that it should be the right way of going about maintaining the drive :| . I would be interested in what made you move away from Seagate and what you went for in the end - hopefully you are happier with the new product.