General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:10 am 

Hey,

I purchased a Coolmax CN-330 NAS today, and I've been having issues initializing the LAN access. The browser based interface just isn't presenting most of the main options shown in the manual.

Manual: http://www.coolmaxusa.com/download/user ... cn-330.pdf
My menu: download/file.php?mode=view&id=1363

If I connect the device to my Windows 7/10 laptops via the USB connection, one of the two SATA drives is writeable, and if I remove that drive the other becomes writeable; however, when I examine them with the disk utility on the configuration interface, both "PASSED" testing, but list as unmounted.

I've tried using several different drives in combination, singularly, or none, different browsers on different PC's, and get the same results across the board.

Any ideas? Or, am I best off returning it?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:14 am 

Seeing the webpage and the manual that box seems to be old. The webpage has copyright 2012, and according to the 'Specification' it supports WinXP/Vista.
So unless it was really cheap, it's a good idea to return it anyway. As all electronical devices NAS boxes are evolving fast. A budget NAS from 2010 can be accessed at about 10~20MB/sec. A budget NAS from 2015 does at least 50MB/sec.

About your observations: The webinterface can simply be a different firmware version.
It's normal that a disk is not mounted according to the webinterface, when it's connected through USB the same time. Only one OS can be master of the filesystem. When it's your PC, the NAS OS cannot have it mounted.
About the 'one disk writable' issue, that can be a driver issue. Somehow the USB interface has to expose 2 disks. A default USB mass storage device can't do that.

By the way, it's rare that a NAS can be connected by USB to access the disk. I don't think any modern NAS still supports that.