General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:52 pm 

Hello all. Just found this forum as I am new to all this NAS and straight away I need help. I bought a Conrad enclosure and had problems getting the HD to format through the web based tool as stated in the instructions. I followed them exactly but no joy so thought it was faulty and returned it for a replacement. Got the replacement and same problem. Everytime I try to format I get the message Don't support the hard disk which size is smaller than 1GB. The hd I put in is 1tb and works fine. I can format it in windows. I also tried a 160g hard drive and same message. On the format windows it seems to report my hard drive as 0.00b. It does say in the instructions to use a new hard drive but I have deleted the volume on this 1tb one and tried that with no joy. I have enclosed 2 attachments to show the format window and the message I get when I try to format. Any one any ideas as I have been ast this now for 2 days and still no joy. I contacted another guy who has a conrad enclosure and he had no problems though he can not remember how he did it as it was a while ago.

Thanks all

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:54 am 

The only problem I can think of is that they really mean it when they say to use a new disk. Deleting the volume upon it doesn't delete the partition table, and maybe not even the partition(s).
You could try to erase the disk with Killdisk (One Pass Zeros erase). This fills the disk with zero's making the disk 'new' again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:35 pm 

According to the installation instructions the drive in this enclosure should be formatted to FAT32.

Filesystem limit for FAT32 drives is 32 GB, so that's why your drive installation is complaining. There is a workaround however as the theoretical FAT32 drive size can be as large as 8 TB!

Download a partition manager/drive format utility (f.i. Acronis disk director of this one free) from the internet and put the drive in your computer and format the drive to FAT32 1 TB using the downloaded disk utility than put the drive in the enclosure and it should work.

Goodluck !

Last edited by intrax on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:47 pm 

Thanks guys for all the help , but after 4 days , 3 drives , 2 enclosures I am still no further on so I guess thats it for me. Sad as I wanted this set up but its well beyond me. I have formatted in fat32 , ntfs , etc,etc and still the enclosure reports it as 0.00kb. Time for the bin.!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 pm 

teac532s wrote:
Thanks guys for all the help , but after 4 days , 3 drives , 2 enclosures I am still no further on so I guess thats it for me. Sad as I wanted this set up but its well beyond me. I have formatted in fat32 , ntfs , etc,etc and still the enclosure reports it as 0.00kb. Time for the bin.!!!!!

Have you formatted the drive in your pc using a utility as I described ?
If you did that an still no luck maybe you need to upgrade the firmware on the enclosure...
Have a look here...
you can apparantly run snake os on this thing !

*P.S. Don't bin it... don't waste the earth's precious resources!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:09 pm 

Me again. Finally got the hd to format from the web interface. Problem I have now is on network map it says the following discovered device can not be added to the map????? Anyone any ideas on how to get round this one please.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:59 pm 

I guess you either have to switch on Samba sharing (or cifs, or 'Windows compatible'), or have to create a share.