General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:36 am 

EDIT:
I think I "fixed" it. I removed all 4 drives and put the drive I want to download to in the first slot and booted the NAS with only that drive. Now the admin share is located on this drive. Uninstalled and re-installed Transmission. Shut down the NAS and connected the remaining 3 drives in slots 2-4 and booted up the NAS again. It seems the NAS sets the admin share to the drive available, if there's only one. If there are >1 it sets it to the first drive it finds starting from 1st slot - I haven't actually confirmed this last part, just taking an "educated" guess.

Is it possible to change the default folder to which Transmission saves? Or change the location (volume) of the "admin" share? As it now, Transmission saves to "admin" which is located to volume 1 which is running out of free space. Shuffling several GBs/TBs of data to another drive just to make room for new downloads doesn't seem like a good solution. I know I can choose to set the location for torrent files once they've been added to Transmission but I have no idea what to type in as the location. I've never seen the folder structure of the NAS in any other context so I've been blindly guessing but obviously failed since I'm posting this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:48 pm 

Yes it is possible.

I did the following myself:

0. Pause all torrents on Transmission GUI
1. Disable Transmission using the Zyxel admin page (the same place you installed Transmission in the first place)
2. You need to log into your NAS with telnet or SSH ( you can enable them in NAS Control Panel => Network => Terminal )
3. You need to edit the config file directly in the Transmission directory (using vi for example... google for vi usage guides... https://www.cs.colostate.edu/helpdocs/vi.html seems pretty OK.).
On my NAS542 (firmware V5.11(ABAG.3)) its at below location:
/i-data/sysvol/.PKG/Transmission/config/Transmission/settings.json

• I have no clue, why zyxel didn't keep the config file in "/etc/zyxel/zy-pkgs/Transmission/settings.json" like it used to with previous NAS'es.
  • also it wouldn't hurt, if you first backed up your previous conf, if you mess something up, with:
    Code:
    cp settings.json settings.json.backup

You want to change ""download-dir"" and maybe also ""incomplete-dir"" to be your desired location... ie mine looks like:
"download-dir": "/etc/zyxel/storage/sysvol/toshiba/Transmission/download",
"incomplete-dir": "/etc/zyxel/storage/sysvol/toshiba/Transmission/incomplete/",

• "toshiba" is then my share name for my toshiba drive.

4. Then Enable transmission using the Zyxel admin page so it reads the new config.
5. Resume/start previous torrents and add new ones. Already existing torrents will probably remain in old locations though, the default dir is for newly added torrents.

credits: used Winterwolf's guidance as base ( viewtopic.php?f=249&t=10055 )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:52 am 

deemon wrote:
Yes it is possible.

I did the following myself:

Thanks for the reply deemon! I recently updated the firmware and the download directory was reset to the first drive so I came back here to look for a proper solution and saw your post. I have one more question - Are these directories that I'm looking at through SSH located on one of the drives or are they saved on some kind of integrated storage on the NAS motherboard for the operating system? I'm asking because I can't find settings.json. I've looked in "/etc/zyxel/zy-pkgs" which only contains an empty subfolder "/tmp" and I've looked in "/i-data/sysvol" which doesn't contain the subfolder "/.PKG".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:44 pm 

In the root filesystem of a ZyXEL nas,
  • /i-data/ contains the mountpoints of the internal disks. The directories with hexadecimal names are the actual mountpoints of the raid arrays, the rest are symlinks to the mountpoints, which represent the role they have in the nas.
  • /e-data/ contains the mountpoints of external disks.
  • /etc/zyxel is the mountpoint of an internal flash partition.
  • /usr contains a read only filesystem containing mainly the GUI of the firmware.
  • the rest is basically a ramdrive.

/etc/zyxel/storage/sysvol is on the internal flash partition, but it's a symlink to the 'main' data partition.

Quote:
I've looked in "/i-data/sysvol" which doesn't contain the subfolder "/.PKG".
Believe me, it does. But files/directories starting with a dot are by default hidden on a linux system. You can't see them using 'ls', but you can see them using 'ls -a'.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:59 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
In the root filesystem of a ZyXEL nas

Thanks for the reply! And apparently Linux system is case sensitive. I was trying to open the folder as .pkg instead of .PKG.

EDIT: If anyone with a similar problem finds this thread - I had to first login over SSH as "admin" and after logging in I had to elevate to su. So after you've logged in just type su and hit enter, you'll then be asked to re-enter the same password as you used when logging in as admin. Now you can edit files without getting a "permission denied" message.

As for the location of Transmission folders:
I had to set it as "/i-data/2de9c32e/NAS3/Transmission/...". "2de9c32e" is in my case the 3rd drive which holds the "NAS3" share which is where I want to download torrents to.

Once again I thank you both, deemon and Mijzelf