General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: MediaWiki
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:28 pm 

Hi
Im quite new to this, but I think I have a simple question. I plan to buy a Zyxel NAS542, for home use, but I wonder if I will be able to install software and run a MediaWiki directly on the NAS... or do I need a more advanced model to do this?

Currently I run my wiki locally on Win7.IS (i think) using a local database MySql (i think), so what basic steps will it take to port that to a NAS and make it public?
Regards Per

Post subject: Re: MediaWiki
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:32 pm 

I *think* it will work, depending on the needed PHP modules. But you'll need to do some work yourself, as there is no package for that (yet). There is a package for DokuWiki.

Quote:
and make it public?
Here is another problem. By default packages on the NAS are reachable on http://<ip-of-nas>:5000/pkg/<Packagename>, which means that the webinterfaces of all packages are reachable if you forward that port.

A work-around is to start a 2nd instance of Apache (actually a 3th one) on a different port, which is dedicated for your wiki. There are some problems with that, it's not supported by the firmware, and you'll have to write some scripts.

Another option is to install Entware-ng, which has PHP, MySQL, several other SQL variants and several webservers (Apache, Nginx, lighttpd, ...), and has it's own startscripts.

The procedure would be something like: Install MetaRepository, install Entware-ng, login over ssh (after enabling the build-in ssh-server), in Entware-ng install PHP, and your favourite webserver. Install the PHP-MySQL package from ZyXEL (or MySQL from Entware-ng), install MediaWiki following their instructions. Download the database from your PC, and upload it to the NAS.

There might be some problems. I installed MediaWiki once on a Debian machine, and for the intended use it was necessary to add a formula editor. Following the instructions on the WikiMedia website almost 2 GiB of packages had to be installed to get that working. I don't think Entware-ng has all those packages available.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:42 am 

Thanks that was kind of the anwser I was hoping for... ;)

Mijzelf wrote:
.... almost 2 GiB of packages had to be installed to get that working. I don't think Entware-ng has all those packages available.

Thanks a bunch! So, I will have to look into that, but for now I will simply need to work out my new routher is working - and figure out if I can buye that NAS in London (now that the £ is dropping, and I'm going there soon - any pointers to a shop there would be HIGLY appreciated!).

Regarding the "forwarding of ports" - that I'm not sure how works - I have a 'Nighthawk X6' routher and I 'guess' it would be possibel to make some kind of setup where by only the Wiki is visible from the outside world... but I will have to learn a bit more about that also. ( Rewriting a script should not be a problem, only I wonder how I can test it.)

Anyways, would you generally recommend an other NAS that has the similar spec., but makes the above more easy... :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:35 pm 

Power wrote:
Regarding the "forwarding of ports" - that I'm not sure how works - I have a 'Nighthawk X6' routher and I 'guess' it would be possibel to make some kind of setup where by only the Wiki is visible from the outside world... but I will have to learn a bit more about that also.
Portforwarding is no magic. If the box shows several packages on the same interface, a portforwarding can't repair that. A proxy server might.

Quote:
Anyways, would you generally recommend an other NAS that has the similar spec., but makes the above more easy... :?:
Not really. The ZyXEL NASes hardware absolutely gives you most bang for the bucks. The software is less impressive, but if you are into exotic options like enabling a formula editor, no 'simple' NAS environment will do. You'll need a full OS like Debian or Ubuntu.

Having said that, there is another option. You can chroot Debian (or Ubuntu) and have the full Debian package system available.