General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:06 am 

Hi everybody,

Every time i update my nas540 when zyxel propose a new firmware [new installed yesterday is V5.11(ATB.3)], I have the same probleme, the schedule task for programming the power on/off won't work...

The only possibility to resolve is a factory defaut and reprogramming manually the conf. If I restore config file, the defaut turnback...

In the log I can see this :
NAS540 msg=" 8b local1 err msg="[schedule] Job [ô6Û*] is resulted as failed" note="" cat="Built-in Service"

My question : I am alone with this default ? Is there a reason ?
I use my NAS with all services actives, I have a big configuration with many users and many folders, the webserver is active with 4 personnal websites. (the reason is here?)

Thanks you all in advance and bests regards
Fred

P.S. : I have 2 NAS540, the first one (buy on the launch date) make this default, and the second one, buy 1 year after, never make this problem...
P.S 2 : Why Zyxel block the possibility to downgrade firmware ? I think it can be good to chose which firmware we prefer or have possibility to downgrade if after an upgrade we have problem, NO ?

Last edited by Fredzoul1 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:10 am 

Hi, complementary information :

My first NAS540 don't start automatically this day, with weekly configuration for everyday, every 1 week (all day).
For the fisrt time, the second NAS540 have the same probleme with this new firmware V5.11(AATB.3), the schedule task didn't work...
To check, i modify the configuration for daily, every 1 day (all day).
The precedent firmware work perfectly, i'm hangry I haven't possibility to downgrade...

Thanks you in advance for your help or solution.

Bests regards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:16 am 

Fredzoul1 wrote:
P.S 2 : Why Zyxel block the possibility to downgrade firmware ?
Did they? It's not possible to downgrade from 5.10+ to 5.04, but AFAIK you should be able to downgrade from 5.11 to 5.10 just by uploading the firmware in the webinterface.

The upgrade from 5.04 to 5.10 is tricky, because it changes the internal memory page size from 64kB to 4kB, which means the new firmware and it's packets can never be mixed with the old ones. Some complex script should ensure that. ZyXEL simply didn't bother to write the inverse script. So that's why you can't downgrade to 5.04

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:37 am 

Hi Mijzelf,

Thanks you for your reply (your are definitely very activ and helpful in this forum, many thanks for that) :-)

I tried to downgrade in 5.10, but the NAS say it's not possible to change firmware for an older version... I tried this in my 2 NAS540, same result...

I tried manually to downgrade with : 5.10 (AATB.0) / 5.10 (AATB.1) / 5.10 (AATB.2) / 5.11 (AATB.0) and 5.11 (AATB.2)

My but is to reinstall V5.11(ATB.2), this version work fine for me without default and after I deactivate search of new firmware and stop change !

Excuse me my bad English, normally I speek french (switzerland) ;-)

Many thanks for your help and response.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:30 pm 

Whern I remember well the 5.04 SDK had a recovery script based on usb_key_func.sh. I guess it could be used to flash any firmware version. (Including incompatible ones). If you want I can have a look if I can find it. But it's on your own risk. I never tested it. The corresponding scripts for older boxes like the 320 and 325 work fine, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:49 pm 

Thanks you very much Mijzelf,

But I don't want take risk, if you think that risked i prefere finally wait to a new upgrade...

I just hope Zyxel make change and correct this bug and have bestest control before publishing...

Temporary, my wife receive order from me to press button on every morning at 9 to start NAS, and I shutdown manually in afternoon...

Thanks you very much for your help :-) !!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:45 pm 

Fredzoul1 wrote:
Temporary, my wife receive order from me to press button on every morning at 9 to start NAS, and I shutdown manually in afternoon...
For the second action I can offer you a work-around. The Tweaks package has a shutdown daemon, which can shutdown the box when one or more conditions are met. Among those conditions is time.

The first action might be performed by wake-on-lan. If you have any box which is already up at that time, you can let it send a magic packet to wakeup the NAS.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:28 pm 

Thanks you very much, I can test this :-)

I make a support demand directly to Zyxel Switzerland to obtain a special firmware with authorisation to downgrade to another older version like 1 or 2 grade for exemple !

I think Zyxel don't accept to take my this, but if they have a solution simple like that, I can post here a link to share in forum :-)

If they did't accept or didn't have a solution, I install with pleasure the tweak :-)

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:45 am 

Hello Everybody,

If you want DOWNGARDE your NAS540 Zyxel, support of Zyxel respond to me this :

You can telnet the NAS540 and type following command (login: root).

1. #vi /firmware/mnt/info/revision
2. Press "i" to modify the value to 2
3. Then press “Esc” and type “:wq” to save the configuration
4. Then customer can use GUI to downgrade FW

For me it's perfect, in the gui you have a information for the new firmware, you click NO and make manually an upgrade with the older firmware, the NAS restart and ok, you have the firmware you want.
You can deactivate the automatic search of new firmware, but everytime you connect to the interface you have a message that a new one exist, click no for not installing and work normally :-)

(I don't know if it ok for other model, use at your own risk) :-)

I wait the version 5.20 with the new GUI, I hope there is no big bug or I turn back to the old version !