General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:23 pm 

Hello-
I recently purchased a ZyXEL NAS520 and attempting to put Plex Media Server on it. So far I have:
1. Downloaded and extracted the zip file from http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/FFP-stick
2. Placed the usb stick into the usb port on the back of my NAS520
3. Restarted my NAS520
After that step I can't seem to figure out what I should do next. The above site says the next step should be connecting through telnet, but my connection is refused every time, and my NAS seems to be booting as usual (I can get to the admin webpage). Did I miss something?

Last edited by motermouth15 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Plex Installation
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:55 am 

When the stick works, it should have 2 partitions, which should be visible in the webinterface as separate volumes. The webinterface is supposed to work normally, as the stick should work without disturbing the firmware.

About telnet, I don't know what is happening. On a 520 you can also enable the firmware build-in ssh server, and use that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:28 am 

Ok, I've bumped and bashed my way partly through installing Plex on a NAS520 using the FFP-stick, but I've hit a snag.

I've reached the point where it starts downloading PlexMediaServer-0.9.12.13.1464-4ccd2ca-neon-armv7.spk...

And then all of a sudden I get the message:

Install...
/ffp/start/plexmediaserver.sh: line 281: /ffp/bin/tar: Input/output error
Cannot extract /mnt/HD_a2/programs/plex/tmp/.tmp/plexfile.gz
Failed!

Anyone have any ideas of what is going on?

Also, I have downloaded the PlexMediaServer-0.9.12.13.1464-4ccd2ca-neon-armv7.spk file (105 MB) on my laptop, is there a way to put it on either the NAS520 or the usb ffp-stick and tell the install to install it from a local file? I have satellite internet so I'm limited in bandwidth and have to wait until after midnight to retry installing it; pointing to a local file would be nice.

Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:41 pm 

The dialog has an option to install a local present package.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:29 pm 

Right, I saw the install from local option in the menu, I suppose I can put the .spk file on the NAS520 once I figure out how to copy it from my laptop to the NAS. I never use Linux so not sure how to do that yet.

Any thoughts on the error message?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:12 pm 

crawly wrote:
once I figure out how to copy it from my laptop to the NAS. I never use Linux so not sure how to do that yet.
Uhm. The whole purpose of a NAS is to put files on it.

Quote:
Any thoughts on the error message?
Not really. Did the download take long enough to be real?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:25 am 

Alright, I put the .spk file on the NAS520 and used the local file option in the install menu and it worked.
After that I started it and it told me to
Code:
Now leave your box (and plex)
 running for at least 30 minutes
to let Plex self configure
[OK]

So I left it for about an hour, came back an it seemed to be idle. I turned the NAS off, pulled the usb FFP-stick and re-started the NAS.

So now what?

When I log in to the NAS web interface, should Plex be running as a package? If so, I don't see it. Was I supposed to select Enable Auto-Start from the menu? Now I didn't get to hit OK from the "let Plex self configure" dialogue as the laptop went to sleep in that hour. Was there something after [OK] that I missed?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:05 am 

Well never mind that last post.... I put the ffp-stick back in and went back through the menus and saw that Plex was installed but not started. So I started it, and also enabled the Auto-start. It is up and running now.

So hopefully one last question. Does the usb ffp-stick now need to be in all the time for Plex to started/running or is it on the NAS drive somewhere and will start/run without it?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:24 am 

crawly wrote:
Does the usb ffp-stick now need to be in all the time for Plex to started/running or is it on the NAS drive somewhere and will start/run without it?.
Yes, it needs to be in. Both FFP and Plex are installed on the stick. If that is not what you want, you can consider using the FFP zypkg, which is the same FFP, but installed on disk using the firmware package system.
(Which, of course, makes it harder to uninstall/reset when you screw it up seriously)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:56 am 

Well I do like the idea that if it is on the stick it is easier to recover/fix is something goes wrong.

But mixed results so far. When it was running, my mobile device and laptop could connect to the server, but neither one of my smart TVs could. Not sure what is going on there, since they both have the Plex app, I was thinking I would connect without a problem and the hard part was installing the server on the NAS.... :(

The Plex Media Server did tell me that there was an update available... I installed PlexMediaServer-0.9.12.13.1464-4ccd2ca-arm7.spk, and the new one is PlexMediaServer-1.1.4.2757-24ffd60-arm7.spk (I went to Downloads> Synology>ARM7 to download it)
Is it safe to install/update the newer version?

Also, when the NAS goes to sleep and after I wake it up, the Plex Media Server is not running. I manually re-booted the NAS and it started back up automatically, but is there a way to have it startup/run when the NAS wakes up?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:40 am 

crawly wrote:
But mixed results so far. When it was running, my mobile device and laptop could connect to the server, but neither one of my smart TVs could. Not sure what is going on there, since they both have the Plex app,
Your mobile device and laptop prove the server is running. Maybe you have a network issue? Can the smart TV ping the NAS. (Or can the NAS ping the TV, if that is easier).

Quote:
Is it safe to install/update the newer version?
It's safe as in it won't kill your NAS. Don't know if the new package will run. On the NSA300 series the 1.x server doesn't run, due to wrong libraries. But the NAS500 is a totally different box, so I don't know. Worst thing that can happen is that you'll have to reinstall the older version, I guess.

Quote:
Also, when the NAS goes to sleep and after I wake it up, the Plex Media Server is not running. I manually re-booted the NAS and it started back up automatically, but is there a way to have it startup/run when the NAS wakes up?
What do you mean with 'goes to sleep'? Disk spindown or box switches off?
When the startscript has the executable bit set it will be called on boot. There is no way to start the server when the disk awakes, but the server is not supposed to stop when the disk spins down.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:52 pm 

Hey guys,

I'm sorry for stealing this thread, but I didn't want to create a thread on the same issue, I hope that's OK (let me know if it's not, and I'll create my own).

I'm trying to install Plex on my NAS520, but I feel like I'm missing something very obvious. On the FFP stick wiki page, it says that a 'telnet daemon' will start. What does that even mean? I see nothing opening on my NAS after rebooting and I can't use the 'slacker' command if i connect to the NAS through SSH...

Again, if this is something obvious, I'm sorry. I'm a complete rookie in this field.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:34 pm 

erikj wrote:
On the FFP stick wiki page, it says that a 'telnet daemon' will start. What does that even mean? I see nothing opening on my NAS after rebooting
A telnet daemon listens on port 23 for a telnet client to connect. Telnet is a deprecated (but lightweight) way of having a terminal shell on a remote system.
Quote:
and I can't use the 'slacker' command if i connect to the NAS through SSH...
what happens if you execute slacker? What is the output of
Code:
echo $PATH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:29 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
erikj wrote:
On the FFP stick wiki page, it says that a 'telnet daemon' will start. What does that even mean? I see nothing opening on my NAS after rebooting
A telnet daemon listens on port 23 for a telnet client to connect. Telnet is a deprecated (but lightweight) way of having a terminal shell on a remote system.
Quote:
and I can't use the 'slacker' command if i connect to the NAS through SSH...
what happens if you execute slacker? What is the output of
Code:
echo $PATH

As I said - I feel like I've completely misunderstood something!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:42 pm 

Your FFP stick isn't active.