General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 2:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:25 am 

Before I upgraded my non cloud edition, I usually get this message "internal fan is not functioning". Since iomega has stopped supporting the Non Cloud Edition and there are no more firmware updates, I upgraded my ix2 to from Non Cloud to Cloud Edition (Thanks to the people in this forum who provided the instructions) hoping that the problem above will be fixed. Unfortunately, still the same problem presents. It was not fixed. Same message that internal fan is not working and a red light indicator on the NAS will blink which I believe will prompt user that there is a problem with the NAS.

Someone here experienced this problem? Maybe you could share on how'd you troubleshoot it.

TIA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:48 pm 

Did you check if the fan is running? Most fans have a 3 wire connection. 2 wires are used to power the fan, which rotation speed is controlled by the current, or by using puls-width-modulation. The third wire gives a tacho back (one pulse per rotation, or something like that), which is used by the controller to measure the fan speed.

The most obvious reason for the firmware warning for a non-functioning fan is that it's indeed not functioning, or that the tacho wire has a bad connection.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:21 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
Did you check if the fan is running? Most fans have a 3 wire connection. 2 wires are used to power the fan, which rotation speed is controlled by the current, or by using puls-width-modulation. The third wire gives a tacho back (one pulse per rotation, or something like that), which is used by the controller to measure the fan speed.

The most obvious reason for the firmware warning for a non-functioning fan is that it's indeed not functioning, or that the tacho wire has a bad connection.

I did check the fan and I see some dusts on it. I could assume that it was indeed spinning. I have also read somewhere else that the fan will start spinning when temp reaches 60, is this true?

TIA again

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:26 pm 

Hello,
Were you ever able to fix the "internal Fan " issue that you were having ?

I have run into the same thing. I have had this unit for 15 months , and a few days ago , it began overheating. I checked the hardware status and it indicated that the fan was not spinning at all , the current temp was 120 F, after awhile it jumped up to 150 F. SO i immediately shut it down. I took the unit apart , and now i am trying to replace the fan , but finding the exact model is proving to be difficult. The Brand is evercool, and model is EC5015L12EA-B, 50 x 50x 15mm, Low speed, 12V , EL bearing, FG signal with a Blower style Frame type.

any suggestions would be welcomed

thanks

Colby

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:39 am 

Hi there,

Just to share a pretty way to spin up the fan.

Code:
$ ssh root@iomega
$ cd /proc
$ echo "manual 50" > mp_lm63_fan_speed

It just works!

However, this disables automatic behaviour, in which fan should start when temperature reaches a threshold. This means that the fan will be always on, but this is better than nothing, should I say...

Now it reports:
System 52°C/125°F
Internal Fan 2547 RPM

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:51 pm 

Hi ruibaeta

i've used your code to spin up the fan. Some questions:
- is possible come back to automatic mode?
- is possible set the system temperature for start fan (for istance 30°c). Actually my system reach
50°C without fan spin

Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:39 am 

@jumpier, try writing 0 instead of 50.

I can't test it myself, because I have exchanged my 3-pin fan with a 2-pin fan and can't use auto function anymore. But I can slow down the fan by writing lower numbers than 50 in ruibaeta's code. I have tried 40 down to 10 (0 turns the fan off). I currently run the fan at 30 - it keeps the system at a healthy 45C/113F

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:02 pm 

I have now written some small code, that automatic change the fan speed depending on temperature.

Open terminal and SSH into your device.
Code:
SSH root@<your-device-name>.local

When asked for password use soho<your-password> (if you haven't set a password, than just write soho)

Use VI to alter some scripts. First fan.sh and then hwclock.sh in /etc/init.d/
Code:
cd etc
cd init.d
vi fan.sh

Add the following code and save and close fan.sh
Code:
sleep 60
while true
do
read tt < /proc/mp_lm63_local_temp
#echo $tt
if [ $tt -lt 43 ]; then
   echo "manual 0" > /proc/mp_lm63_fan_speed
fi
if [ $tt -ge 43 ] && [ $tt -lt 45 ]; then
   echo "manual 30" > /proc/mp_lm63_fan_speed
fi
if [ $tt -ge 45 ] && [ $tt -lt 47 ]; then
   echo "manual 60" > /proc/mp_lm63_fan_speed
fi
if [ $tt -ge 47 ]; then
   echo "manual 100" > /proc/mp_lm63_fan_speed
fi
sleep 60
done

Now edit hwclock.sh
Code:
vi hwclock.sh

Add the following code to the 2. line and save and close hwclock.sh
Code:
sh /etc/init.d/fan.sh &

After a restart the fan changes speed depending on temperature. I now have it working with a replacement 2-pin fan, that else wouldn't start up. :D

Credits goes to 11mail22 at the Lenovo forums who has written a larger script for the IX2-200 with a temp controlling part in it. Tjeck it out here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_ ... 467/page/1