General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:39 pm 

Having problems with booting my StorCenter ix4-200d.
After doing a format on all 4 disks (1TB each) the system is not booting anymore.
The screen is displaying the network and the usb symbol.
Seems like the partition with the system on it is gone on all 4 disks.
Hopefully there is somewhere a download or image file available with the OS partition.
Please let me know if you know where to get the system image or partition.
Otherwise my StorCenter is bricked. :cry:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:54 pm 

Hi Guys, this is my first post here so I thought I'd start with hello! Hope everyone is well.

I have this very same problem. I have contacted Iomega and they aren't helping much.
If anyone can help with restoring the OS on the drives it would be helpful. Seems a shame to let the hardware go to waste.

Cheers
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:55 pm 

i tried a lot other things i found on the net, i downloaded acronis true image tib-files and restored them, i played with the backuped images i did before, but nothing worked. because i didnt find anything more about the ix4, i tried to read a little bit about the ix2, because there are much more information about that device than about the ix4. so at the end i used this tutorial for the ix2 and adapted it for the ix4: http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Cate ... 0-usb-init

and this was the only solution which worked. right now the ix4-200d is working again and i am happy :-)

i unplugged all internal drives from my pc (i dont wanted to brick them, too), plugged in all four sata drives and started the pc from a knoppix linux 6.7 cd (or download the iso and use http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ to make a bootable usb thumb drive from the iso-file), open a terminal window, delete the partition table of all four hard disks with:

knoppix@0[knoppix]: su
root@0[knoppix]: fdisk -l

-l like list. now you see all your drives listed and look if there is your usb thumb drive. don't delete the partition table of your usb thumb drive ;-)

root@0[knoppix]: fdisk /dev/sda
root@0[knoppix]: o
root@0[knoppix]: w

root@0[knoppix]: fdisk /dev/sdb

root@0[knoppix]: fdisk /dev/sdc

root@0[knoppix]: fdisk /dev/sdd

shutdown the pc and put the disks back into the ix4. format a usb thumb drive with fat32 and create a folders on the usb thumb drive:

X:\emctools\ix4-200d_images

download the file emctools.7z from herer http://downloads.iomega.nas-central.org ... 0ix4-200d/ (thx@Mijzelf), extract it and place it on a USB thumb drive so that it looks like that:
X:\emctools\ix4-200d_images\ix4-boot.tgz

switch off the NAS, plug in the usb thumb drive, press and hold the reset button and wait until the usb thumb drive starts to blink after 30 to 60 seconds (i hope your usb drive has an LED). now when it's blinking (reading) you can release the reset-button, wait and pray. i needed several times to get it working. maybe try another thumb drive or try to create the usb thumb drive files on your own. here is my adapted script from the named tutorial which i used:

Code:
ifw=/media/sdc1/x4-200d-ix4-200d-2.1.38.22294.tgz # the original firmware
ofw=${ifw%.tgz}-decrypted.tar.gz
ix4=${ifw%.tgz}-files
usb=/media/sdc1 # your fat32 formated usb thumb drive

mkdir -p $ix4/images
mkdir -p $ix4/update
mkdir -p $ix4/apps

openssl enc -d -aes-128-cbc -in $ifw -k "EMCNTGSOHO" -out $ofw
tar xzvf $ofw -C $ix4/update/

imgs=$(find $ix4/update/)
for img in ${imgs} ; do
  if [ -f $img.md5 ] ; then
    mv $img $ix4/images/
    mv $img.md5 $ix4/images/
  fi
done

mount -o loop,ro $ix4/images/apps $ix4/apps
cp -p $ix4/apps/usr/local/cfg/config.gz $ix4/images/
umount $ix4/apps
gunzip $ix4/images/config.gz

img=$ix4/images/config
md5=$(md5sum $img)
md5=${md5% *}
md5=${md5% }
echo "$md5" > $img.md5

cd $ix4/images/
tar czvf ../ix4-boot.tgz *

mkdir -p $usb/emctools/ix4-200d_images/
cp $ix4/ix4-boot.tgz $usb/emctools/ix4-200d_images/

good luck!

Last edited by ladiko on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:17 pm 

I used the Iomega Drive FirmwareUpdater to prepare the USB Stick: http://download.iomega.com/english/Driv ... er-1.8.exe (see https://iomega-eu-en.custhelp.com/app/a ... a_id/24661 for details) and copied your Image to the ix4-200d_images folder, deleted all other files and folders and followed your instructions. The NAS is now preparing the drives, wonderful!! thank you very much.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:16 pm 

good to hear, it also helped others :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:58 am 

You can't even imagine how much you helped me. I was on the brink of throwing it through the window, because iomega support is close to none. Now one more question. How can i put it into JBOD mode ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:21 pm 

Regarding to http://iomega.com/nas/us-nas-comp.html, it should be configurable in the web frontend. i am not sure how, cause my device is at work right now. Isn't there something in the web frontend? maybe you have to reset the device or reinitiate the disks somehow. i am not sure as i don't have access to the device right now

It's just a guess, but you could also go to http://x.x.x.x/support.html and enable the support mode. x.x.x.x is the ip of your StorCenter. Then you have ssh access to the StorCenter with ssh root@x.x.x.x and you can edit /etc/fstab and can use fdisk and mkfs to edit your hard disks configuration. in current firmware versions root's password is the password of the web frondend with the prefix soho. So if your password for the web frondend is AbC#123 root's ssh password would be sohoAbC#123

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:26 am 

I've been at this for like 4 hours and I still have a brick for an iomega. The boot download doesn't seem to be available anymore so I've been attempting to get this script to work on the current ix4-200d firmware download. I used the firmware update application suggested to make the USB drive bootable and I have the boot.gz file created. No dice yet though.

Does anyone know if you have to use all 4 drives? Do you have to have 1 TB drives or can you use other sizes? If I only had a couple of drives and grabed one from a functional NAS could I image that drive and restore to mine?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:04 am 

The disks doesnt really matter, but to be sure, delete the partitions before you use them. even the size should not matter, but the smallest disk limits the resulting size.

the uploaded file was deleted everywhere, so i can upload it again, but i dont have the file here right now, so maybe tomorrow or on friday.

edit:
here it is:
http://www.multiupload.com/OYT69VDO6M
http://depositfiles.com/files/2kstxpm8k

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:43 am 

Hi all,

I have tried what you say but after rebooting the device just shows the IOmega logo in the display ("flashes" the logo every 10-15 seconds) and loops into rebooting. It seems like it is trying to access the disk once every 10-15 seconds.

I have tried 3 other USB keys - same result.

It seemed to be going good - read off the key for a while and then showed the progress bar on the display and got to about 75% but then it powered off. Instead of getting the usb symbol now i'm seeing the iomega logo for about 10 seconds or so followed by a reboot loop with that logo.

I attempted pulling the hard disks out and deleting the partition table on them but that didn't help.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Thank you for your help!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:53 am 

you can read here what i did, from my side there is nothing more to say. i'm sorry if it's not helpful for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:26 pm 

ladiko wrote:
the uploaded file was deleted everywhere, so i can upload it again, but i dont have the file here right now, so maybe tomorrow or on friday.

edit:
here it is:

I 've mirrored it on our own downloads server here. It won't disappear again!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:04 pm 

@tanude: did you use the Iomega FirmwareUpdater to format the usb drives?

i guess yes, because it loads some kind of firmware to the NAS as it's now showing the Iomega logo instead of the logo shown in the first post of this thread.

@Mijzelf: thank you very much, this will save me uploading it from time to time :)

Last edited by ladiko on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:13 pm 

@ladiko: Thanks for the instructions.

@tanuder: Probably you got a problem with your harddrives. Do you replaced the orginal hard drives?
I have the same problem with Samsung HD154UI hard drivers, with a WD WD2500AAJS the instructions works for me. In my case the HD154UI are not detected by the Iomega software(booting from the WD and 1x/3x a HD154UI). My advice try a another type of hard disk. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:06 am 

Hi All I'm new user in the forum and first of all I wanted to greet and thank all.
I also have ix4-200d with the same problem as tanuder. I'm trying with a Maxtor STM31000340AS and the progress bar on the display when got about 75% it powered off.
As recommended by nocm81 the problem lies in the disk model used and I'm going to buy a new disk and I'd be happy to know the disk models that you have tried and that work.
I think it might be useful to all try to make a list of compatible models of disks like this:
Compatible hard disk:
WD WD2500AAJS

Do not working disk:
-Samsung HD154UI
-Maxtor STM31000340AS

Can you help me to continue the list based on your experiences?