General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: LaCie 5big Network
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:50 am 

I can confirm the instructions given by Mijzelf in October 2011 work.
viewtopic.php?f=245&t=651&start=15#p18885

Thanks for these. I could get my hardware back to live after a full wipe of the 5 disks.
If you are like me, not that familiar with Linux, following the instructions can turn out to be quite an undertaking.
Bear with me, I'll post a Windows-only 'How to' soon.

It'll be a pleasure to share since LaCie customer support has been so helpless :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:17 pm 

Thanks for the feedback.

A Windows-only 'How to'? I'm looking forward, *very* curious.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:27 pm 

After following Mijzelf's instructions for the first disk, I made a raw image of the 2,008,221 sectors of the disk -- roughly the first 1GB. I then used the image to copy these sectors to the four other disks, thus making the 2,008,221 first sectors of the five disks identical. I put the five disks back in the 5Big Network and booted it. It booted all right and I could connect to the web interface.

Here is the expected Windows-only How to.
You will need a Windows PC with a free SATA disk cable on which you will plug the five disks one after the other. The PC should be off when you plug or unplug a disk.
1/ Plug the first disk and boot the PC.
2/ Download the zipped raw disk image http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/ ... 008221.zip
(md5 hash of the zip is 73ab36492d84ce08313196810c6ed748)
3/ Double-click in Windows explorer to unzip it to the folder of your choice. I'll refer later to the full path to this folder as [full path to your image folder]. This is about 60MB zip and 1GB unzipped.
4/ Download dd for Windows from http://www.chrysocome.net/dd. It comes as a zip. Unzip it in the folder of your choice. I'll refer later to the full path to this folder as [full path to your dd folder]

:!: Warning: in the next steps, you will use dd to overwrite the first sectors of each of the five 5Big Network disks. While doing this, if you target the wrong disk, you may irrecoverably lose data and/or you may need to re-install Windows from scratch. Make sure you use with great care.

In an elevated command prompt,
5/ Navigate to [full path to your dd folder] using the cd command
6/ Run dd --list and identify the target disk from the list of devices. In the next step, the name of the target disk will be referred to as [target disk]
Code:
dd --list

7/ Run dd if=[full path to your image folder]\2008221.img of=[target disk] --progress
Code example:
Code:
dd if=d:\laciedisk\2008221.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 --progress

8/ When done, switch the PC off, replace the disk with the next target disk, switch the PC back on. Then resume at step 5 and so on until every target disk has the new image. And voila.

Important note: the image was prepared for 2TB disks. If you use other disk sizes, you will need to adjust the size of the second primary partition.
For the geeks, that means amending the value stored in the four bytes at offset 0x01DA-0x01DD to match the actual number of sectors in the second primary partition. You may use any disk hex editor like http://mh-nexus.de/downloads/HxDen.zip to achieve this. For primary partition table documentation, you may refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record.
For the faint-hearted, you may use a partition manager among this selection http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... tion_Guide, and resize the very large partition at the end of the disk.
I have not tested this very last step. Use at your own risk :)
EDIT: according to Jimbolian and peg1987's feedbacks below, the partition resizing sounds unnecessary.

Last edited by lacielm on Tue May 15, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:22 am 

lacielm wrote:
After following Mijzelf's instructions for the first disk, I made a raw image of the 2,008,221 sectors of the disk -- roughly the first 1GB. I then used the image to copy these sectors to the four other disks, thus making the 2,008,221 first sectors of the five disks identical. I put the five disks back in the 5Big Network and booted it. It booted all right and I could connect to the web interface.

Here is the expected Windows-only How to.
You will need a Windows PC with a free SATA disk cable on which you will plug the five disks one after the other. The PC should be off when you plug or unplug a disk.
1/ Plug the first disk and boot the PC.
2/ Download the zipped raw disk image (I have temporarily uploaded it here http://dl.free.fr/p0oaKzTq5 md5=73ab36492d84ce08313196810c6ed748. How shall I upload it to downloads.lacie.nas-central.org?)
3/ Double-click in Windows explorer to unzip it to the folder of your choice. I'll refer later to the full path to this folder as [full path to your image folder]. This is about 60MB zip and 1GB unzipped.
4/ Download dd for Windows from http://www.chrysocome.net/dd. It comes as a zip. Unzip it in the folder of your choice. I'll refer later to the full path to this folder as [full path to your dd folder]

:!: Warning: in the next steps, you will use dd to overwrite the first sectors of each of the five 5Big Network disks. While doing this, if you target the wrong disk, you may irrecoverably lose data and/or you may need to re-install Windows from scratch. Make sure you use with great care.

In an elevated command prompt,
5/ Navigate to [full path to your dd folder] using the cd command
6/ Run dd --list and identify the target disk from the list of devices. In the next step, the name of the target disk will be referred to as [target disk]
Code:
dd --list

7/ Run dd if=[full path to your image folder]\2008221.img of=[target disk] --progress
Code example:
Code:
dd if=d:\laciedisk\2008221.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 --progress

8/ When done, switch the PC off, replace the disk with the next target disk, switch the PC back on. Then resume at step 5 and so on until every target disk has the new image. And voila.

Important note: the image was prepared for 2TB disks. If you use other disk sizes, you will need to adjust the size of the second primary partition.
For the geeks, that means amending the value stored in the four bytes at offset 0x01DA-0x01DD to match the actual number of sectors in the second primary partition. You may use any disk hex editor like http://mh-nexus.de/downloads/HxDen.zip to achieve this. For primary partition table documentation, you may refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record.
For the faint-hearted, you may use a partition manager among this selection http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... tion_Guide, and resize the very large partition at the end of the disk.
I have not tested this very last step. Use at your own risk :)

Thank you fort the guide but I've A big Problem: I can't download the main Zip file because the captcha is blank so I haven't any value to copy. I've also tried on different browser with JDowloader but it always says "Server Error" and make me whait for 30 min and the error again. Can upload the fine in an other host like rapidgator or similar? It will be very appreciated!! Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:24 am 

Finally I succeed to dowload the file thanks to free rapid downloader and proxies. But I've a problem. I'dont understand how to modify the partition table for 1.5TB disk!! I used the program you suggested but i see only strange symbols...can you help me?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:49 pm 

Well i too am now the proud owner of a paper weight with a pretty rapidly blinking red light.. I really do much prefer the blue, any chance of posting the image somewhere accessible? I cannot get the captcha to work and my schoolboy french is'nt helping..

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:55 pm 

Aha.. right anyone else has trouble downloading:

Use a french proxy (94.23.209.218 3128)
Captcha code is << >> the word between the arrows.

Now to fix the box..

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:39 am 

Hi everebody! Thanks to the lacielm's guide I've resumed my 5big network. I used 4 1,5TB disk and 1 2TB Disk and i've insert them inside the nas without any modification at the MBR. I've started the the NAS and it has resized the partion automatically!! Now I'm creating the new raid5 and it takes about 50 hours! The importat thing is that it work's!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:04 am 

Mine worked a treat too, using 5x 1TB disks ( 36hrs to rebuild ).

J

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:25 am 

Hi peg1987 and Jimbolian,
Glad it worked for both of you :)

@Mijzelf, how shall I upload the disk image to downloads.lacie.nas-central.org?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:57 am 

Meanwhile I mirrored it here.

When you want your own upload area, follow these instructions

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:20 pm 

I postet the dump file here! Now it's easyer to download!!
http://rapidgator.net/file/14897651/Dum ... T.zip.html

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:27 pm 

Mijzelf, thanks for hosting the dump in your folder. I have updated the how-to accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:32 pm 

Thank You all for the great info!

I followed @lacielm instructions. All seemed to go well but I have the Red Blinking light.

I am using the first generation (v1) box with the original 1TB drives. Using a Win7 PC I had removed all the Partitions leaving a completely bank set of drives. Then turning on the box I got the Red blinking light. Called support and they said only they can fix it and I need to mail it back to them.

Any other suggestions? I was hoping to get these drives online and then use XXclone, SnapShot or StorageCraft to make a drive image. Of course had I know that the OS is on the drive partition I would have cloned them BEFORE wiping them clean. OOPS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:47 am 

UPDATE: Using Hiren's Boot CD 15.1

I found that the last partition is indeed setup for 2TB. I deleted the partition and recreated it. (see images) Not sure if anything was important on that last partition as light is still blinking red.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next