General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:57 am 

This is a complete backup of all partitions minus home from a LACIE NETWORK SPACE (first)
Firmware version is 1.1.10

You can restore these images to a new or empty drive and use it in your NAS, perfect for hard disk failures e.t.c.
The home partition (sdX2) isn't on the images so you have to create them manually accordingly to the disk size.

Instructions for restoring image:

:arrow: DOWNLOAD: LACIE-NS-noHome-clonezilla.tar

:arrow: UnTAR as usual (in windows you can use 7-zip.org, winzip, winrar etc...)

Software needed: Clonezilla http://clonezilla.org/. Download the ISO and burn a CD or create USB flash drive for booting with.

:arrow: Copy the image folder to a easy findable folder on your hard disk (C:\lacie)
:arrow: Connect the empty disk to your PC (S-ATA or USB adapter..)
:arrow: Boot from the Clonezilla CD and:

- Select Language > Start > device-image > local_dev >
- Select you system partition where image files are located
(C: but you will see sda1 or something, look at the disk manufacturer and available space)
- Select folder (C:\lacie in this case) > beginner mode > restore disk >
- Select backup (only one should appear in c:\lacie folder)
- Select disk to OVERWRITE, you have to be very careful at this point as you will overwrite
the selected disk, verify disk manufacturer, serial number and space before progressing.
- Answer the confirmations and wait until restoration completes
- After completion, press ENTER and select option (2) Command prompt

:arrow: Now we have to create the home or data partition on the free disk space on the disk:
- Enter these commands:
Code:
 sudo -s
 fdisk -l
- Search for the lacie hard disk, for example /dev/sdg
- Create the new partition on this disk:
Code:
cfdisk /dev/sdg
- Select free space at the end and create a new PRIMARY partition, Write and Quit
- Format the created partition with vfat (replace sdg2 with the correct partition in your case):
Code:
mkfs.vfat /dev/sdg2

That's it, you can now turn off the machine and connect the new disk to your lacie NAS, but there is one step you should do before using it, re-FORMAT the data partition inside the management WEB in the Disk section. Lacie use XFS filesystem on this NAS, but directly creating the XFS partition from within linux with mkfs.xfs didn't work for me, the NAS didn't recognize the partition so I first format to vfat and then within the WEB to XFS.

I´ve tested this with a 160GB drive and a 500GB one, don´t know if it work with bigger drives but possibly it will, try it !

Hope this helps somebody,
Hurky

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:59 am 

Nice, stickied. This would be useful in the wiki too if its not there already!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:04 am 

Thank you! I wrecked my NS by removing the swapfile, and after readding the S09swap script my NS didn't boot anymore. By doing this my drive is back up and running. However, it would be useful to add telnet in the image in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:46 pm 

Hi,

i am probleme for restoring os for network Space on HDD.

Launched clonezilla : no problem
Copy repertory fichier (LACIE-NS-noHome-clonezilla) on C:\Lacie (no problem)
Entered Source Image (on CloneZilla) & C:\Lacie is no visible ???? Error in files on LACIE-NS-noHome-clonezilla ????

Please help me :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:43 pm 

Hi ToUsMiC,

if I get you right you are stucked at the point of giving clonezilla the source image, just after booting clonezilla it will ask you from where to get the source files and you need to select the partition where the image files are, if you are on windows probably c: but as clonezilla runs on linux you will see /dev/sda1 or similar, look at the partition space or try different ones until you see your lacie folder, select it an continue to the next steps...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:51 pm 

Thanks for replys, i am just copied *.img.gz.aa in folder !
Lacie Network Space fonctionel 100 % :)

Thanks for Howto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:12 pm 

Thanks Hurky to give such a nice information. I was finding the solution of backing up of all partitions for restoring it back and now i got the solution. For the previously i usually got the failure in backup at every attempt.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:53 pm 

/the disk of my NetworkSpace has crashed too, I do want to revive it with a sata to sd card adapter and a sd card. During the clone it stopped because my 'harddrive' was not big enough; it needed a drive of at least 160GB.

Does anyone know how to copy the image to my SD card (without having a SD card of 160GB)?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:53 pm 

Instead of using "restore disk" try with "restore partition" from clonezilla, as the original diso was 160Gb it will give you an error message if the destination disk is smaller. The problem with the partition restore is that you may need the system partitions created previously on your SD card. As I don't have the LACIE anymore I cannot help you any more, if you won't be successfull with the partition option from within clonezilla you can use a real +160GB HDD and after copying the image recreate the system partitions manually in the SD card and after that copy partion after partition by hand from the HDD to your SD card, you can use clonezilla or linux "dd" directly if you want.

Good luck ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:58 pm 

This sticky sounds like the solution for my black box, that's been misbehaving lately.

Only, what to do when Clonezilla doesn't want to run.....
Tried the version from 20121217 and the last 'stable' 2.0.1-15.
Both running from an USB stick since there is no working Cd-drive in the PC I'm using.

Any help is duly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:57 pm 

Well, since I had some time on my hands, I borrowed a CD-burner from another PC.
Burned Clonezilla and followed the multi-step-plan: all looks very well.
Even formatting the disk went OK.

I must sing high praise to the guys putting this sticky together!!
It brought my disk back from the dead.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:29 pm 

Hello how are you?, I wonder if there is any solution like this but for 2d LACIE network disk, I found the software to compile the page lacie but it's hard for me I have not much knowledge if someone can help you appreciate, the partitions I have them but I have the disc does not work and I think it must be the software that is damaged

greetings and thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:22 am 

IT WORKS !

I Followed your step by step guide, and prepared a WEstern Digital RED witb 2TB !

I used the clonezilla that comes with Hiren´s Boot CD Proteus , and worked like a charm!

Just plugged in the 2TB Red back in Network Space Box, and lacie software immediatly found the disc.
Enter the web menu and it´s showing 2TB of avaliable space.

Nice , thank you :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:37 am 

do u know if this procedure will work with a networkspacemax...if not do u know of a similar external procedure that will restore one?

to make a long story short...I believe hardware wise my networkspacemax is fine...however I changed my raid configuration and did a factory reset prior to rebuilding new shares...I believe I wiped out MyShare and openshare and either wiped out or corrupted the firmware...now the nas will show as a netork drive in win7 and lacie network asst however there are no shared volumes...if I do a factory reset I get to the setup screen however it just returns to the welcome screen and I get a disk initialization error when I try to proceed to the next step...so I am looking for an external way to reinstall the firmware...Lenovo iomega emc provide software to do this through the usb port for their home media-ce but I can not find anything similar for lacie...can u help??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:53 pm 

ragonarf wrote:
do u know if this procedure will work with a networkspacemax
Absolutely not. The NSMax is a totally different box.
Quote:
if not do u know of a similar external procedure that will restore one?
Well I have partitiondumps here, but I don't know if they will actually work. They are extracted from an update capsule, and while they look complete, it is possible that something is missing.