General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Drive Failure?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:31 pm 

I have had a 1TB 2Big Nas for several years without problem. Until now.

When I switch it on it starts to boot normally, but takes a while then the front light goes red, one drive light at the back goes solid red while the other one flashes blue. The network lights also flash, but I cannot connect to the drive via the network.
I am running in RAID mode so hopefully have not lost any data.

Has one of my drives died?
Is there an easy way to access the data in the unit without replacing the dead drive?

Any help gratefully accepted,
--
Mark.

Post subject: Re: Drive Failure?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:05 pm 

fx82a wrote:
I am running in RAID mode so hopefully have not lost any data.

Raid0 or Raid1?

In case of Raid1 you can connect the harddisk directly to a Linux PC (Any PC booted from a Linux Live CD is fine), assemble the raid array, mount it and read your data.
Code:
sudo mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md0 /dev/sdb2
sudo mkdir /mnt/raid
sudo mount /dev/md0 /mnt/raid
You should be able to access you data in /mnt/raid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:14 pm 

Yes, Raid1. Thanks for the instructions.

So I cannot persuade the machine to work with only one disk?

I assume I have to buy a lacie replacement drive? Is there a cheaper (reliable) alternative?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:54 pm 

fx82a wrote:
So I cannot persuade the machine to work with only one disk?
I don't know. I suppose it *should* work without problems on one disk. Why else use 2 disks in raid1?
Maybe swapping the drives could help. I can imagine the bootloader wants to load the kernel from the first drive.
Quote:
I assume I have to buy a lacie replacement drive? Is there a cheaper (reliable) alternative?
AFAIK all 2 disk LaCie devices have all system partitions in raid1. (Even some single disk devices do). So it is possible to clone the remaining disk to any (sata?) disk, as long as it's at least the same size. If that is reliable depends on your Linux skills. It is certainly cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:26 pm 

Bit of success,

Removed the 'bad' drive and it was still poorly.

Swapped the drives round and things started looking up, red light at the front still, but I had a red and a blue light flashing at the back. I found the lacie's new IP address (no idea why this had changed) and it let me log in. The system was rebuilding the raid array. When this finished, all blue lights.

Only problem is that now I cannot get FTP to enable. Hopefully a reboot will help here (I am too used to using windows!) but do not have too much faith. At least I can access my files via HTTP and copy them to another disk.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:12 pm 

So effectively you just swapped the drives, and it resynced? So both drives are working again?

Does the box have a SMART monitor?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:20 pm 

Yes, swapped the drives and it all started working OK, except that even after reboot I cannot get FTP to work. Getting all the data off without removing the drive and connecting it to my laptop directly looks like it will be hard work via HTTP.

Any suggestions?

I have no idea if the 2big network has SMART.

Interestingly, when it was poorly, it appeared as an ED Mini.... No idea why.

I wonder what will happen if I swap the drives back round?

UPDATE>> So nothing has broken, but I cannot get FTP to enable..... Now I'm absolutely clueless.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:37 pm 

fx82a wrote:
Yes, swapped the drives and it all started working OK, except that even after reboot I cannot get FTP to work. Getting all the data off without removing the drive and connecting it to my laptop directly looks like it will be hard work via HTTP.

Any suggestions?
What about samba?
Anyway, when you want to copy much files via http, you can use wget. Just type something like
Code:
wget -r http://<ip-of-box>/page_containing_files
and it will get you all files listed on that page and below.
Quote:
Interestingly, when it was poorly, it appeared as an ED Mini.... No idea why.
All LaCie boxes seem to have the same firmware. Maybe the firmware was confused because it had only one drive, and decided to be another box? :)
Quote:
So nothing has broken, but I cannot get FTP to enable..... Now I'm absolutely clueless.
Did you already try a factory reset?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:20 pm 

I am going to have to put a proper operating system on this laptop. Vista (sorry, hangs head in shame) is just not up to the job. Looks like another reason to put linux back on my main computer after a break of many years.

I forgot about factory reset. So is it guaranteed to restore all the data if I rest then recreate users and shares?
If I lost my wife's family history files I'd be sleeping in the car for the rest of the winter.

There is not too much data of real importance on the box, but the stuff that is important is really important (including the above) hence picking a raid system.

May try a windows version of wget (or see if a firefox extension can help) just to get a backup before taking the plunge.

Cheers, and thanks for all your help so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 pm 

fx82a wrote:
I forgot about factory reset. So is it guaranteed to restore all the data if I rest then recreate users and shares?
No. It's supposed to, but nothing is guaranteed. The box wasn't supposed to fail either. If you can save your valuable data before trying, just do it.
Quote:
If I lost my wife's family history files I'd be sleeping in the car for the rest of the winter.
Don't know where you live, but if it's as cold outside as here, you shouldn't risk anything. ;)
Quote:
There is not too much data of real importance on the box, but the stuff that is important is really important (including the above) hence picking a raid system.
RAID1 is *not* a automatic backup. It´s a redundancy system. Read this. First rule for important data is that it should be stored at at least to different devices, where the two disk of a raid1 array count as one device. But the harddisk of a computer and a NAS are fine. (Until your house burns down :( )
Quote:
Cheers, and thanks for all your help so far.
You're welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:46 pm 

I try to keep a backup on DVD, but you know how these things are, you never do a proper backup just before you need it! Thanks for the link by the way.

The download links to the files on the 2big Browse page all point to a script....
http://myip/cgi-bin/public/edconfd.cgi? ... age001.jpg

So I don't seem to have an absolute path to point wget at.... Myip/History/fh/pics/image0001.jpg certainly doesn't work.
http://admin:password@myip/...... does not seem to work either.

Am I missing something here? Or am I going to have to manually click every single link and save it to my hard drive?

Sorry for asking more stupid questions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:46 pm 

I don't know. wget -r standard downloads a webpage including all childs(?). So when you can open your 'History' share, and download all contents by clicking on hyperlinks, wget should be able to download it for you. When you have to click on buttons, it won't work, I'm afraid. Button clicks are (often) handled by javascript, and I don't think wget has a scriptengine.

Samba is the most natural way to access a NAS. You write you have an inproper OS, Vista, on your laptop. Do you mean that you can't (couldn't before the problems started) access the nas by typing \\<ip_of_nas> in the address bar of Explorer? Maybe this can be helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:57 pm 

A final update (hopefully)......
I spent a while manually taking files off the lacie via http. This got very boring! I decided to automate the task, and having Autoit to hand made a good effort, but lacked motivation to complete the task, so I relented and bought a usb-sata converter (Plexus) and followed the instructions above to mount the drive and copy the data to my laptop. Linux mint is nice and user friendly, but the coverdisk does not have mdadm support. Luckily the package installs OK.

The instructions worked perfectly and all the data was copied over.

On resetting the lacie, all services came back and when I recreated my shares all the data was still there, so the above, while not necessary was a worthwhile exercise.

I have no idea why the lacie died, but at least it is back running again, I have learned a valuable lesson in data security and (retrospectively) enjoyed playing with raid and linux again.

Many many thanks to all who helped. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:08 pm 

If you use RAID 1 than you can connect it to the linux pc and than with mounting the RAID array it is possible to get the backup or steel you can access your data. So now on you should better care about the backup of your data and you must use some backup software to protect your valuable data.