General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:00 am 

I hope someone in this Forum can help.
I have a LaCie 2big netwrok v2, i didn't use it for a long time due to power problems, but now i like to use it again.

I At first i got a IP, but could not access the dashboard. Than i too the disks out and formattet in NTFS - both of them. What a bad idea, i didn't know there was a system on disks.

Now i can't access the disks at all, no IP no contact.

I have tried to use different version of recovery capsules from LaCie, when i start that it says "Has found Ethernet disks, but after a while with bliniking and so on, there is a popup: cannot connect to unit.

I am not in to Linux at all, i have read a lot from this nice forum, but all solutions is doing some Linux programing. Hmmm...really not my strong side.

Of course i have also tried the factory reset, with no result, but i guess it's natural since all Linux partitions are gone.

Can anyone help with a rather simple solution - or do i have to start some Linux. I do have a Boot USB with Linux, only used to reset a Windows password.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:50 am 

You could try to install fvdw-sl. It has a windows based installer. Yet I don't know how mature the installer is, as the 2Big2 support is experimental. http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1314.
This way of installing provided by Lacie might also work. But of course you should use the capsule from here.
And else, yes then you'll have to use Linux. Instructions here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:01 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
You could try to install fvdw-sl. It has a windows based installer. Yet I don't know how mature the installer is, as the 2Big2 support is experimental. http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1314.
This way of installing provided by Lacie might also work. But of course you should use the capsule from here.
And else, yes then you'll have to use Linux. Instructions here.

Thank you, i will try. I try to find a place to download now. I have trid to recover with LaCie's NLA - not working.

A new day... I think i will throw myself in to deep water and follow the Linux manual to "install firmware on fresh disks". I think it must be the best way, even i am not experienced with Linux at all, but the manual looks as it shouldn't be a big problem to follow. I will post the result later.

I guess i have to learn about Linux, a simple thing as to find the GZ and TGZ files on the disk gives me problems. I have to make a full path to the files, but just can't find them :-) Sorry, but what concern Linux i am a total amateur

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:33 am 

This is not easy. I have spend a lot of time to try to find the tgz and gz files, when i have to make a "full path" in the gzip command.

Just don't know where they are. I have tried the "Find" command, but no result. I have copied the files to the USB, where i start my linux from. But can't see them - or don't know how to find them.

Sorry guys, but i am a Linux virgin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:13 am 

So your problem is to find your USB stick, actually?

You can see the device names for all block devices (disks and partitions) by executing
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
The size is given in kB. I expect a stick to be sdx1, where x is [a...z].

If you have identified the stick, you need to know the mountpoint:
Code:
cat /proc/mounts
You'll see something like '/dev/sdx1 /media/<something>'. If the devicename fits your files are in /media/<something>/.

Quote:
a simple thing as to find the GZ and TGZ files on the disk gives me problems.
Linux filenames are case sensitive. So if you use tools to find *.TGZ, you'll never find a tgz file.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:05 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
So your problem is to find your USB stick, actually?

You can see the device names for all block devices (disks and partitions) by executing
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
The size is given in kB. I expect a stick to be sdx1, where x is [a...z].

If you have identified the stick, you need to know the mountpoint:
Code:
cat /proc/mounts
You'll see something like '/dev/sdx1 /media/<something>'. If the devicename fits your files are in /media/<something>/.

Quote:
a simple thing as to find the GZ and TGZ files on the disk gives me problems.
Linux filenames are case sensitive. So if you use tools to find *.TGZ, you'll never find a tgz file.

thank you again.

I took another way around this: I installed Ubuntu desktop on a USB and run from that shell. I could copy all the gz and tgz files to the home folder and that way i could do the gzip with the mbr+label to my external disk. I have learned to use /dev/.... and so on

Now my next problem is the partition table, if i want to start with sector 1 - no can do, it start with sector 2048. Also it makes logical partitions as Linux and not Linux raid, when i come to partition 5 and more. In the end it will not work, maybe because of that strange start sector 2048 and not 1.

Is it possible to understand what i mean? :)

I learn a lot about Linux this way, so even it can be a little hard to restore my LaCie, i will at least learn something new.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:10 am 

Quote:
Is it possible to understand what i mean?
I hope so. Could it be this?:
wiki wrote:
For more modern fdisk versions (2012+?) you'll need to use the flags -cu:
Code:
fdisk -cu /dev/sdb
This switches on 'dos compatibility' and 'cylinder units'. On older fdisk versions it does the reverse. (Or in other words, the default mode is changed somewhere in 2011/2012)

Quote:
Also it makes logical partitions as Linux and not Linux raid
You can change the partition type, after creating it. (With a 't'? Can't remember. Try 'm'). Having said that, I don't think it matters. Generally Linux just ignores partition types, but just looks at the contents.

Quote:
I learn a lot about Linux this way, so even it can be a little hard to restore my LaCie, i will at least learn something new.
That's the spirit. These days people tend to give up when there is no App for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:21 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
Quote:
Is it possible to understand what i mean?
I hope so. Could it be this?:
wiki wrote:
For more modern fdisk versions (2012+?) you'll need to use the flags -cu:
Code:
fdisk -cu /dev/sdb
This switches on 'dos compatibility' and 'cylinder units'. On older fdisk versions it does the reverse. (Or in other words, the default mode is changed somewhere in 2011/2012)

Quote:
Also it makes logical partitions as Linux and not Linux raid
You can change the partition type, after creating it. (With a 't'? Can't remember. Try 'm'). Having said that, I don't think it matters. Generally Linux just ignores partition types, but just looks at the contents.

Quote:
That's the spirit. These days people tend to give up when there is no App for it.

My arms are raised. I did the first disk without any error. To be able to start with sector 1 i used this command. fdisk -c=dos -u=cylinders /dev/sdb
Problem solved and i could get all partitions right.

Now it's time to fix disk 2 and hopefully everything will go smooth. And then - in with the disks in the LaCie box and hoping it will work.
PS... I am originally from Denmark, but i'm living in Philippines now, so there might be some time difference between admins here and me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:44 am 

Well - arms back in normal position, not that much of a sucess. I made both disks, no error, but it didn't work. Partitions looked fine in both a Windows manager and Linux Gparted, but LaCie didn't like them.
I have one idea left: LaCie say that after this procedure the box should be reset to factory, i did but it didn't work. When i make the partitions i set the Raid up as raid 1, that's what LaCie call "safe mode" and when disks are in safe mode they can't reset to factory settings - says LaCie.

Today i will delete both disks again and make new partitions/arrays, but this time i will set up as Raid0 and see what happens.

If this doesn't work i might as well just use the 2 disks as USB disks :D

One thing though: I am a little hooked on Linux, even some things are a little more troublesome to manage, so i guess i will install Ubuntu on one of my laptops.

More to come later.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:00 am 

Quote:
LaCie say that after this procedure the box should be reset to factory, i did but it didn't work.
Did you see the red flashing light? AFAIK that means that the kernel is recognized and loaded from disk.

It's a bit shooting in the dark, this. Using clunc you should be able to see if the kernel is recognized. However, for 'real' troubleshooting you need serial access.

Quote:
One thing though: I am a little hooked on Linux, even some things are a little more troublesome to manage, so i guess i will install Ubuntu on one of my laptops.
Once you get used to Linux, you never want back. The way most things are organized just gives you much more possibilities to change it to your likes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:40 am 

Finished anddone. My LaCie works now.

I had a lot of troubles with arrays, after creating partitions: md0 and sdd5 was a major issue, partition 5 gave errors all the time, but in the end i just gzipped the tgz and gz files to their partitions. Put the disks in the box - and voila - NAS found and dashboard accesible.

Thank you very much for help and assistance.

Yeah i think you are right about Linux, i feel i have more freedom to do things and also a lot of experts all around that make a lot of good stuff.

For sure i will have one of my laptops running Ubuntu now, i have learned a lot during this process, so of course i just don't stop niw.

Have a great weekend - i will i know :-)