Thinking out loud: reinstalling boot partition of HMN 1TB

Jezo

Thinking out loud: reinstalling boot partition of HMN 1TB

Post by Jezo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:34 am

Hello,

my Iomega Home Media Network hd is blinking alternating white/red after an unexpected shutdown.
considering the wiki and the forum, it might be a boot issue,
therefore i will reinstall the boot partition.
The wiki is quite clear, but since my linux is quite rusty, i'm writing this post for a double check.
If any of you would drop an eye for confirmation, that would be very nice of you.
Thanks in advance.

After unwrapping my hd, plugging it on a linux, i'll try to see via my partitions if my files are still readable.
In the option they are, i can check if it is a loose wiring issue (why not) then i'll try to reinstall MBR/Boot and kernel, following the wiki.

Reading the forum posts, i'll have to follow all steps until Data Partition part.

I am still unclear about that point :
The firmware to reinstall is 500M where my disk is 1T. What step in the tutorial fix that issue ? the "Change data partition size" one ? Will i have to provide some settings or the default ones will fill ?

Sorry for my dummy obviouses questions,
i'd better be stupid than sorry :)

Cheers !

Mijzelf

Re: Thinking out loud: reinstalling boot partition of HMN 1T

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:35 pm

Jezo wrote:I am still unclear about that point :
The firmware to reinstall is 500M where my disk is 1T. What step in the tutorial fix that issue ? the "Change data partition size" one ? Will i have to provide some settings or the default ones will fill ?
The only difference between a 500GB and a 1TB disk is the size of the data partition. In all other respects the installations are identical. So yes, just resizing the data partition does the job.

Jezo

Post by Jezo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:47 pm

Thanks Mijzelf for your confirmation,
i will then proceed the described steps.

Cheers,
Jez

Leonizen

Post by Leonizen » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:32 am

They do not know you will think differently, but I do not.